Protein

pamgolden
pamgolden Posts: 3
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
Hello,

I was posting my food and was surprised that I was over my protein the plan set for me and I had only had 4 ounces of chicken and 1 oz of cheese for the day. I changed my protein to have 61 grams instead of the lower one, but this is still high. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Thanks so much,
Pam

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    MFP is set low, i'd say a majority up it :)
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    From what I understand, at least with protein, you should consider that number to be a minimum to try to reach -- so if you go over, it's not a big deal -- in fact, many set their protein higher and try to go over that. Don't worry about it!
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    You need protein if you're working out to help rebuild muscle. Try to get between 40-70g depending on how much exercise you're getting. Less if you're sedentary.

Check out this link: http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm for more information.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I have mine set at 100 and try to eat 75-100 grams.
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    i would question the accuracy of the food items entered to you daily food log. 4 oz of chicken shouldn't put you over your limit, especially with 1 oz of cheese. i've found that some entries aren't as accurate as others, so even if i think i've found the item i'm looking for, double check the main nutrition numbers to make sure they seem appropriate. otherwise, if you are going to go over somewhere, protein is probably the best one :) good luck!
  • Here is what I found when I was looking into it...

When people diet to lose weight, they sometimes cut back on foods that contain fat. But often, those foods are also some of the best sources of protein – meat, eggs, cheese and other dairy foods. That creates a problem: When we don’t get enough protein, there is increasing evidence that the body tries to store calories rather than burning them.

The Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) for healthy adults is:
    0.37 grams of quality protein per pound of body weight per day.

My gym recently posted this info too...

In a study published in Nutrition Metabolism, dieters who increased their protein intake to 30 percent of their diet ate nearly 450 fewer calories a day and lost about 11 pounds over the 12-week study without employing any other dietary measures....'nuff said!??
This discussion has been closed.