Walking for us sendentary folks

Options
milaxx
milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
I've been having some real success with walking lately. When I decided to get serious with my health I realized that I needed to work on both eating and exercise. I had gotten to the point where it was uncomfortable to stand for 15 mins and could not walk more than a block without getting winded and tired. I started with water aerobics twice a week and now aim for 4 x's a week. I also started trying to walk a bit more I incorporated it into my everyday life. If I went to Target or Walmart I made it a rule that I had to walk around the entire store before I left. Well my legs have been getting stronger as I lose the weight I've been able to make day trips to museums and conventions and survive the walking/standing/stair climbing involved. Mine you I am exhausted after these trips, but when I think about where I was last year I am elated. I could never have walked 3, 4, or 5 hours back then.

So for those of you who have encountered folks saying that walking shouldn't count as exercise, I say ignore them. Pushing myself 15mins, then 30 mins has gotten me to this point and I plan to keep at it.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise!!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    for sure. i have a friend who went from 136kg (300lb) to 70kg (154lb) with food and walking... admittedly she walks 2-3 hours a day, but she's gone from morbidly obese, to healthy, looks fantastic, feels fantastic and has changed her life with walking.
  • blinkmeee
    blinkmeee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle recently and just started walking again so the only calories I used to be burning was from crutching around and laying in bed. I'm still not great at walking so I can't do intense work outs or even power walk or walk too normal yet, and yes just by walking even slowly for a half hour a day does some good for you rather than sitting down all day every day. It's just a matter of eating less if you choose to not intensely work out.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Walking is a terrific exercise! My husband and I Nordic Walk 4+ times a week and I have lost over 2 lbs a week including this exercise with my eating habits. I'm not a runner, I'm a walker and proud of it! :)
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    From high school experience [slipping between people in the hallways] I am a very fast paced walker, so I definately count my walks to work and home as exercise. Yesterday to burn a lil extra calories and to cool down [house was warm] I did a power walk around my apartment complex!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Actually, walking is the most simple, easiest & beneficial exercise there is and any one can do it! You don't need special equipment and it's better for your joints than running. Most of the people I know personally (not on MFP) have lost their weight from just walking every day and trying to eat a little healthier. : )

My sister-in-law and older brother have both lost 60 pounds from just walking 4 miles every day!
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main source of exercise and it's made quite a difference for me. I've lost 14 pounds, 2 inches off my waist and 2 1/2 off my hips. My thighs and calves are getting more toned as well. I even consider just a casual walk with the dog as exercise because otherwise I might not be moving much at all. Some days I'll walk the dog for only 10 minutes but most days he's getting 30 mins in the morning and another 15 at night. Walking is the best!!

Usually the morning walk is when I'll come back in the house and do some other exercises as well, then stretches. It all counts for me. :)
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to mention that there is a website and app called MapMyWalk. You can create your own walking routes, etc. Check it out!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    So nice to read all the positive comments.

When I made a comment a while back about mall walking people were so negative about it. I really just wanted to encourage all my fellow MFPers that if all you can do is walk, then do your walking.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up for walking!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!