One of those "funny" chicks

Options
Does anyone know the fat girl who makes fun of herself, pretends she is comfortable with the way she is and cracks jokes to make light of it? She feels like this takes the pressure off of her, and maybe even the eyes?

LOL, (not so funny) .... this is me.

Nice to meet you. It's really not a joke, but how do you REALLY cope with it?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    That is me too. Welcome!!!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    That reminds me so much of my sister. One day when feeling depressed, I remember her saying "I'm tired of being fat, funny Lydia."
  • auryn2278
    auryn2278 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have been making people laugh my whole life...sometimes at my own expense. But this is a good place where we all have similar goals and lots of support!
  • MizzCNyle
    MizzCNyle Posts: 40
    Options
    This is me too...... and I have a friend that cracks the jokes on me because I do it to myself and it kills me every time :(
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    I hear ya! I have been making people laugh my whole life...sometimes at my own expense. But this is a good place where we all have similar goals and lots of support!

:) I know it is, I'm finding that out more and more. BTW, your cat reminds me of my old cat we gave up and someone adopted...I miss her!
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    This is me too...... and I have a friend that cracks the jokes on me because I do it to myself and it kills me every time :(

OMG, so not funny if someone else does it too. It's almost like we look for someone to disagree with us to make us feel better, but it never happens. Or that could be just me.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yeah...its me too..but it wont be us for long. We can do this!!!!. It's not gonna be easy but with hard work and the support of all our fellow MFP friends we WILL do this :)
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I see that girl every day in the mirror. Except she's not smiling then.

Kris
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I used to be. One day someone pointed out my words had an effect on others. Specifically my daughter who looks just like me. When I said I was "insert self insult" then someone said OH you look just like your mom to my daughter, it was Me saying SHE was "insert insult"

I also found that once I stopped, and inserted positve descriptive words for myself others followed suit.

I will always remember the day a young new hire in our office, there just a few months, came over to see what I was eating because "your the healthy one here!!" I almost fell out of my chair!!

There was a time I didn't joke at all because my best subject was GONE>

SO I went on line and got good jokes to tell................ba doom doom.....

Good luck!! Your a beautiful young woman:love:

Oh and I am hot!! LOL:laugh:
  • girlygirl761
    girlygirl761 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG, that's how all my friends describe me. I never get nice, cute or smart but always funny. However, I've decided that I will no longer make jokes about my weight. If you put yourself down even in a joking manner, it gives others permission to put you down too.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I see that girl every day in the mirror. Except she's not smiling then.

Kris

Amen

{hugs}:flowerforyou:
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Guys do it too. A good friend of mine is morbidly obese, and he has a very self deprecating humor about it. I guess he just feels more comfortable making light of what he thinks everyone is thinking. Unfortunately he's convinced he completely lacks the willpower to make a serious diet/exercise change on his own so he's going to have a lap band put in.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I may have done this. I do know that I will mention it from time to time just to remind myself. In my mind, I see myself at a healthy weight, and sort of live in a self-denial. Then, I look in the mirror and I am reminded and I have trouble being happy with myself. I need my outside to match my inside a little better. No matter how we have coped with our weight, one of these days, we won't need those coping mechanisms anymore!
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    That is so me. The girl with the jokes and all the funny stories to tell (that are usually very true experiences in my life) that are attempts to deflect attention from what I fear others are really seeing. DUH. How crazy is that to make comments about how you look and feel about you and expect that others aren't noticing? I agree with the "not for long" comment. I can do this and so can you.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think the solution is to re-build your identity/ self image. Your identity should not revolve around your weight/ looks. The way you look is definitely a part of it, but it should not be the core of it all.

Easier said than done, but as difficult as it is, it is worth every effort you put into searching for the answer.
  • MizzCNyle
    MizzCNyle Posts: 40
    Options

OMG, so not funny if someone else does it too. It's almost like we look for someone to disagree with us to make us feel better, but it never happens. Or that could be just me.

I think the friend that does it has self esteem issues...... she does complain about being "fat" but she is smaller than me. My other friend is a sweetheart and yells at me when I crack the jokes on myself lol.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I was that girl for a long time, but my weight has really started bothering me the passed few months and I haven't been able to be the funny one anymore.

Not funny about being fat at least, because I am working too hard to change it and it's not a joke anymore :)
    I went out with my ladies last night and it's almost like I have to relearn how to be around people, you know? I don't know what to say now that I'm trying to break out of that 'fat girl' shell.