Heart Rate monitor Suggestions??

Options
I recently purchased a HRM from Walmart... it is a Sportline and was only about $27. I have had it for about a month and it already seems testy. The functions don't work as readily as they first did. I am wondering if the battery needs replaced already.....
Anyway I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a more accurate HRM. I was looking into the Body Bugg, but I can not afford the monthly subscrption to their website :(
Thanks in advance !

Replies

• Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a MIO and it was only 30$ something. It seems to work great still and I've had it about a year!
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There's another thread on this somewhere, and they were talking about the Polar HRMs and how everyone loves them. I've been looking at the Polar HRMs myself, and thinking of getting the F6 model. My bf has the Timex one but that's a serious investment - cost him about US$500+ whereas the Polars are about $50-100.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    There's another thread on this somewhere, and they were talking about the Polar HRMs and how everyone loves them. I've been looking at the Polar HRMs myself, and thinking of getting the F6 model. My bf has the Timex one but that's a serious investment - cost him about US$500+ whereas the Polars are about $50-100.
    I have a Polar F6 and I got it on ebay for 28 bucks!! I love it so much =) If you keep an eye on the ones on ebay you can get a great deal!!
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F3 that I've had for more than 5 years, and it works very well. I've replaced the battery, but that's it. Polar is pretty well known as a reliable brand.
  • ltosti
    ltosti Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it. Keeps it simple for me it gives me heart rate, duration of workout, and calories burned. And it seems to be very accurate. It really stepped up my workout routine.
  • ksr5000
    ksr5000 Posts: 19
    Options
    i got my polar ft7 brand new in package on ebay for around $70 and it usually sells for much more than that and I absolutely love it. It's easy as can be to use and seems to be extremely accurate. I would definitely do some research on HRMs for what you're looking for and what your comfortable paying for it, and then do some shopping around to make sure you're getting a good price.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT 40 in December and it worked fine for me. I only used it a few times, though, since I started using the HRM's in the gym equipment where I work out.

I recently bought a Garmin Forerunner since I've started running again so I'm not using the FT 40 any more. (I'd love to offer it for sale but the forum rules prohibit me from posting something for sale :-( )
  • susi_q_xx
    susi_q_xx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Itosti, I'm looking at getting an ft4 and wondering, does it have a chest strap & if so, does the calorie counter still work if youdon't use it?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Itosti, I'm looking at getting an ft4 and wondering, does it have a chest strap & if so, does the calorie counter still work if youdon't use it?

Yes the FT4 has a chest strap and no the calorie counter won't work if you don't wear it. The chest strap is how the watch gets your heart rate... and heart rate is a factor in determining calories.. so why would it work with out it?

To the OP, Polar is the way to go. As I said in another post you get what you pay for it when it comes to HRM's... buy a cheap one first and you'll be paying twice as much to get a higher end one.