those protein shake things..

Options
I run elliptical just about every day and I try my best to use th total gym and do some dumbbell routines most days. I get around 100g of protein a day. I think.. should I try protein shakes or will they not fit in with a cardio based exercise regimen? Trying to burn the rest of my ab fat off..

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes after I workout. I used to do a TON of cardio - though I've switched to more strength training now.

I think you'll do just fine.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    You say go for it? Great before and after btw. Incredible.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    A protein shake after exercise would be a good idea. Helps to build muscle, especially after strength training.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    If you are already getting 100g per day, do you really need to add a protein shake? If you are eating back your exercise calories in *real* food, that is always preferable to a protein shake in my opinion. Just be careful if you choose a shake that you get one that doesn't have a lot of funky additives.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Sure. Just read labels. Some of them have a TON of sugar in them.

I personally drink Muscle Milk because I am VERY picky about taste. I've tried a lot of powders and MM is my fave. It has more carbs and fats (though it is the good fats our bodies need) than some of the others. It is trial and error. Another good one is Fusion (I think is the name).

Thanks! :)
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    If you are already getting 100g per day, do you really need to add a protein shake? If you are eating back your exercise calories in *real* food, that is always preferable to a protein shake in my opinion. Just be careful if you choose a shake that you get one that doesn't have a lot of funky additives.

Now. I have read that liquid protein (which is what you'd get in a shake) is preferable after you workout. That your muscles get the protein quicker because it is absorbed quicker when it is in liquid form post workout. Now, this may all be a bunch of nonsense, but I've read more than a couple places that say it is best post workout.

Oh and you should consume in grams equal to your lean body weight in protein a day. I weigh 144-145lbs - I try and get between 150-200g of a protein in a day.
  • SMK715
    Options
    My brother is a gym rat, he's in some insane shape. I suppose I could ask him. Its just hard for us to see eye to eye because im trying to get thin and burn my fat while he's trying to get big and cut. I will be in his shoes one day, but I can't do that until the fat is gone. He advised me as if we were doing the same thing and were on different ends of the exercise world. Thanks for the help though everyone :) I appreciate all answers
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Check out the library and see if they have Tom Venuto's book ... The Body Fat Solution.
    He also has an e-book ... Burn the Fat - Feed the Muscle.
    I think you'd be able to find the information you're looking for with him.
  • jpb2525
    jpb2525 Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you have a zone watch? If you are trying to burn fat (esp. from the abdomen) you really need to be sure you are staying in zone 2 and zone 3...if you are above that and working in zone 4 or 5 you are simply buring sugar....over time you will lose weight but it will be in muscle first before fat - saying in the lower zones will help burn more fat and get your metabolism revved up. Also, you will stand to lose those inches faster if you go through a sprint/walk/sprint/walk routine - these quick bursts will drive your hr to zone 4-5 for a minute or two then drop down to zone 2-3 for 5-6 minutes...this will help. Polar makes a great zone watch, I have the R200 - to get the most accurate results you should get the metebolic test as well - otherwise you can just put in your current information and it will estimate for you. Good luck on your journey! you can follow me @dance4fitlife
  • Indyfferent
    Options
    I run elliptical just about every day and I try my best to use th total gym and do some dumbbell routines most days. I get around 100g of protein a day. I think.. should I try protein shakes or will they not fit in with a cardio based exercise regimen? Trying to burn the rest of my ab fat off..

Protein Shake things? Those are Nutritional Supplements. They "Supplement" your deit broham, the same as calcium pills for calcium-deficient people. Only use it if your lacking your Protein intake requirement for the day and your not getting it with your foods, (highly unlikely).

Used best first thing when you wake up and first thing after your workout as a Post-Nutrition supplement.

SMH, I would think people would know this
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I would suggest to only start doing the protein shakes when you start lifting more weights.And/OR as a replacement to a meal. Replacing your "snack" with it is beneficial.

Honestly, if you are not interested in weight training, the protein shake may only add calories to your diet that you are trying to burn away.

As for WHEN, is should be no later than 30 minutes after your work out. During your work out, you deplete all sorts of nutrients. The protein in the shake will go directly to your muscles.

Good luck!!
  • SMK715
    Options
    @indyfferent the topic title was a joke. You know, to attract people to the post. Good try being big and tough. If you're gonna be an *kitten* then get off the site. You are supposed to help people, not be critical of the things they post. Go **** yourself
  • RachelJE
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20100603/report-protein-drinks-have-unhealthy-metals

I have read/heard about Muscle Milk containing lead. I don't know how much you are consuming, but I wonder if that might be related to how you are feeling. :(
  • RachelJE
    Options
    Sure. Just read labels. Some of them have a TON of sugar in them.

I personally drink Muscle Milk because I am VERY picky about taste. I've tried a lot of powders and MM is my fave. It has more carbs and fats (though it is the good fats our bodies need) than some of the others. It is trial and error. Another good one is Fusion (I think is the name).

Thanks! :)

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20100603/report-protein-drinks-have-unhealthy-metals

I have read/heard about Muscle Milk containing lead. I don't know how much you are consuming, but I wonder if that might be related to how you are feeling. :(
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there is no need to even eat that much protein
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I typically eat around 150 g of protein daily for a variety of reasons. I am an endomorph that reacts better to a moderate carb/higher protein diet when it comes to fat loss and lean muscle gains (depending on my calorie amount). I like to have a shake after my workout for recovery because protein in liquid form is taken up by the body quicker than solid food. Also, there are some that simply taste really good. Sometimes I am eating a big salad and drinking the protein shake to go with it for both taste and to get my protein in the meal.

Adding a protein shake after a cardio workout will slow the catabolism that sometimes happens on lower calorie diets and cardio workouts. Your goal should be fat loss rather than weight loss, because oftentimes extreme cuts in calories paired with daily cardio leads to muscle loss. Sure you will have lost weight, but we don't want to lose muscle.
  • kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try these for natural and supplemented shakes/smoothies?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/268473-protein-smoothies-balanced
  • kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    oops double
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste my money on something you undoubtedly have no use for (Protein Drinks/Powders) Protein doesn't increase muscle mass at all. Do some reading. You should consume roughly 0.36 grams per pound of body weight a day. Protein bars/shakes are at best a replacement snack when your daily protein intake is low. A can of tuna has 100 cals and 25g of protein and was made by mother nature, not a machine. Most men need between 70-80 grams of protein a day.

The formula is : .36g per pound of body weight or .8 per kg

This applies the same to men and women.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Also, if you continue doing some some reading, you discover that those recommendations are for sedentary people, not physically active ones, especially those involved in heavy weight training routines.

Just sayin'.

Some people actually do quite well on higher protein levels with no adverse health effects. There is no "one size fits all" diet. :flowerforyou: