work out equipment?

Options
So I know there is a thread on this already but I was also wondering about the equipment I will need.

I want to start using work out videos, what are some good ones, i'm up for the challenge, I WANT it.

Also, what kind of things should I get? Yoga mat? dumbbells? clothes that are comfortable, I plan to do this in my room (have the Tv and all, but I wouldn't want anyone to see me sweating like a pig and jiggling, but I still wanna be in comfortable clothes.

Replies

• Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    The workout DVDs that I've been using the most are Insanity and 30 Days Shred. I have a mat, light weights, my workout clothes, and my workout shoes. I think shoes are very important. I've noticed that my movement is more fluid and that I can jump more, and last longer with shoes on.
  • cassmsta
    cassmsta Posts: 75
    Options
    Light weights how much we talking?
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use soup or pasta sauce cans as weights. :) It's a pretty great, WAY cheaper alternative to weights.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have 3 and 10 pound weights and wish I had 5 pounders - the 10 are fine for some things, but not all, and 3 are too light for most. The other piece of equipment I recommend would be a stability ball, especially one with sand in it to keep it in place. I have a workout DVD for the stability ball that's a good strength and cardio workout - shaking that weighted ball around is surprisingly draining! The ball is great for doing abs in front of the tv, and sitting on the ball instead of the couch when you're relaxing actually strengthens your core due to the minute adjustments you have to make.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I have a mat, the sand exercise ball and weights. Started with 5#s now have 10's and 15's working on 20s soon. I do my arm presses while I sit on the ball, it strengthens the core. I also use the ball for pelvic lifts. I have ankle weights for biking and running. Good Luck.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells or bands would be top of my list, bands are a great alternative to dumbbells. A Heart Rate Monitor would also rate pretty high for me.

Rather than getting a Yoga mat I'd look at getting a padded exercise machine mat, I have one and its 6' by 4', gives me much more room to work out and the same level of protection. Roles up pretty small once I've finished with it.
  • cassmsta
    Options
    This is going to sound SO DUMB, but what is the purpose of the heart monitor?
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Two fold, see how hard you are working so you know if you are being lazy, and to accurately track your calorie burn. If you are cutting the amount of calories you eat you need to eat back any extra deficit that you are below your target due to the exercise.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think it really all depends on which workout videos you choose as to what equipment you get to go along with them. If you choose something like ChaLEAN Extreme or P90X, then you need heavy weights. Something like 30 Day Shred can be done with light weights.

My "home gym" includes Bowflex Selecttech weights (because I lift heavy), a pull-up bar, a yoga mat, some resistance bands, a stability ball, push-up stands (because push-ups without them tweaks my wrists too much), and a stopwatch. I have a stopwatch because sometimes I do my own designed workouts like HIIT sprints and this is how I make sure I am not doing too much or too little timewise.

I used to have a heart rate monitor, but I don't use it anymore. I try to workout with as much intensity as possible no matter what, so trying to stay within a certain heart rate range is not important to me. I also don't use the exercise calories counter function...personal preference there, but I don't find it necessary as long as I am eating healthy and actually doing my workouts.
  • cassmsta
    Options
    Well I bought P90X and 30 day shred, but from what I am hearing I think I am going to start with the 30 day shred.

I am planning on picking these things up tomorrow.

- Yoga mat, or some other kind of "work surface"

- Exercise ball.

- Hand weights, I suppose ill start with a 5lb

- Water bottle (:

- Work out clothes.

I'm also going to look into the heart monitor, so how much that's gonna cost me.

Hopefully this will get me started and ill buy as I need. Thank you all so much for your tips!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    For P90X, also make sure that you either have a pull-up bar or some resistance bands that you can attach to a door frame for lat pulldowns. You do pull-ups (or pull-downs) from Day 1.