New to MFP

Options
New to my fitness pal. 57yo F who need to lose 45lbs for health reasons. I do ok during the day and eat and eat in the evening. I'm also a stress eater and with our 30 yo daughter and two small grandkids living with us, the stress is through the roof. Trying to get out to get more exercise so the stress doesn't bother me so much. Input welcome. Also, I'm disgusted with the way that I look. Never thought I would get to this weight which is a new high. Got to get myself together. I want to look better, feel better and most importantly be more healthy. :embarassed:

Replies

• Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    One day at a time :) Starting is great because now you are moving in the right directon. Exercise will really deal with the stress.If you can just start by walking, even taking the grandkids out for a walk after dinner, or alone, it will make a big difference!

:flowerforyou:
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sometimes starting out is the hardest,Ive been losing or attempting to lose for awhile now and only recently found this site.Being aware of what I eat via my diary has really made an impact on how I view my food.I eat when I'm bored or stressed,I generally am not hungry I just eat.Now I actually think 'ok,this will blow my calories' or 'if i eat this i will have to do 'this' amount of exercise'.To me its been a huge help to be aware of what im eating and to make conscious choices in regards to meals.Helps to know your are not alone,and you aren't.
  • renaedixon
    Options
    I just joined to too. I am at my all time highest weight as well. It sucks! I want to loose 50 lbs by the end of the year. We can do this!
  • iamkib
    iamkib Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have very similar eating habits to me. The trick is I need to start substituting low calorie snacks in the evening. I used to have fruit and sugar/fat free pudding in the evening, now I've been snacking on chips or cookies. The cookies are gone (I ate them all). I need to start going back to the healthy habits I learned. It's OK to snack in the evening, it just has to be low calorie snacks.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    welcome to mfp;
  • ugh1
    ugh1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello.

Welcome to MFP. A suggestion I have for you is to use a technique I use. I'm not a stress-eater, but I do get cravings when I'm bored every so often, and so, to satisfy this craving, I eat an apple and then go for a walk/do something active. This almost always works because I feel accomplished afterwards (which takes my mind off eating and makes me happier= no stress for you!).

Good luck!
  • paperpusher3
    paperpusher3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm still learning to navigate the site and I didn't see all these posts until today. It means a lot to me. I went to a new PC Dr this morning and my labwork was sucky. Cholesterol @ 261 and triglyerides@ 603. Never had any results like this. Neither of them has ever been more than 220. She gave me a Rx for Zocor and told me to come back for more labwork in 4 weeks. In the mean time I'm not supposed to eat any pasta, bread, potatoes, grapes or other high sugar fruits. I rarely eat whole grain or WW rye bread or potato, and only occasionally whole wheat pasta which is also out. She finally told me that she basically wants me to eat salad with grilled chicken for the next 4 wks. Oh, and I can have Granny Smith apples. Her office only had me fast for 8 hrs and my endocrinologist always has me fast for 12 hrs for the lipid panel. Even the Dr. admitted it might be a lab error. I have a call back into my endo to repeat the lipid panel. So frustrating!! And on little sleep to boot!! Not a good way to start the day. The only thing I did agree with her about was that I need to start exercising more. I'm so tired with my daughter and grandkids living with us that I just want to drop when they go out and I have some peace and quiet. Need to get more motivated!!!
  • paperpusher3
    paperpusher3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Apples and baby carrots are my go-to foods when I just want to munch. Apples fill me up and the baby carrots are great because they take longer to eat. I'm also finding that a cup of tea is helping. Started back walking, too and I'm getting landscape ideas along the way. I'm also finding just getting out of the house helps. :flowerforyou: