Weight bouncing up and down

Options
Hi all,

As a business person that travels and stays in hotels for 1/2 my week, my weight fluctuates really wildly. I follow the MFP calorie limits and do at-least 1hr walk every day (I am really unfit and starting with walking to get my body used to things again)

I started MFP 20 days ago at a weight of 105kg (my target is 85kg) and after the first time I stayed away from home my weight dropped to 101kg.. After the weekend it was back at 103kg... next week after staying in hotels it was 98.1 but soon after that it was 99.2kg.

Although I am happy that I have lost 6kg in 20 days (this far exceeded my expectations) I am curious why my weight swings so drastically. (I weigh myself on the same scale at the same time of the morning right after getting out of bed)

I dont feel like I am eating any different at the hotels and at home.. or is this just plain dehydration?

Richard

Replies

• inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    dont weigh yourself every day just weigh in once a week, youll see better results without the flucuation, cause our weight is always different every day!
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    You may find its something as simple as ingrediants in the foods you eat. Eating out v Eating at home the methods used to cook food are different, sodium levels are different, amount and types of oils used are different - this is just the tip of the iceberg. Whether you are cooking or not be sure to make it clear how you would like your food prepared and eat as close to the natural state as possible when selecting food. You may benefit from not weighing weekly - maybe every 2-3 weeks instead so that you don't see the see saw of your weight changing which may inadvertently make you feel down. Well done on your weight loss so far.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium intake - I know that it certainly wreaks havoc with me, but YUM!
    And I agree... weighing once a week at the same time is a much better option and won't drive you crazy with minor fluctuations in water and food retention.
    Best of luck!
    Sandi
  • Caveman1973
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom and encouragement. I only measure my weight twice a week, although I am going to change that to once a week or even once every fortnight.

I am definitely not unhappy at the fluctuations as I am 100% ahead of my target goals (I only want to lose 1kg a week and anything more is a bonus for the days of minor infractions :D) - I am just curious to the large fluctuations, next to check salt :D

Thinking about it, the Food I eat when out does not contain salt (Company restaurant that is very strict on fresh produce and no flavourings enhancers like salt) and at home I love salt :D

Thanks all! - the Adventure continues!
    Richard
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    Check your sodium intake - I know that it certainly wreaks havoc with me, but YUM!
    And I agree... weighing once a week at the same time is a much better option and won't drive you crazy with minor fluctuations in water and food retention.
    Best of luck!
    Sandi

As Sandi said, watch that sodium. I weigh daily (contrary to most recommendations) and actually enjoy seeing the fluctuation as long as the trend is in the right direction. I regularly see 4 lb jumps in the 24 hours after a high sodium intake day - it falls back down in the next 2-3 days very consistently though since it's just retained water.

Congrats on the progress so far.