feeling defeated now:\

Options
I been wanting to know my body fat% for a while now, so i finally decided to try one on the internet. So i did all my measurement and clicked submit thinking it would be in the 20s but not too high. Suddenly 27.6% pops up and i have a heart attack! 3% more and i would be classified as obese and at risk of developing heart disease!

absolutally floored:(

Replies

• MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I know it is discourging to find out you are not where you expected to be but look at it this way. Now you know and you are doing something to improve the numbers. You are not defeated. Take it one day at a time and before long you will see the numbers you expect. Have a blessed day.
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The above comment is so right !! knowledge is the key and now you know you can keep a track and head in the right direction, and don't worry if your knocked down once in a while as you can always get back up stronger!! now lets do it!!!
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also remember that these are just measured by calculations and they might not work for your body! That doesnt mean that you shouldnt use this as a kick yourself back into gear moment ;)

Remember its not just about fat % or weight, its about how you feel !
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Let me assure that 3% is a very long way from being obese. I was over 30% for years and am now 27%. A 0.3% reduction is a 2lb weight loss so dont fret. You are on the right track and thats what matters
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get you! I was measured at my gym about 6 weeks ago using one of those computerized little boxes. I was told I was 28% fat! 6 weeks later, I am told I am 26% fat.... SO - take a look at my photo: do you think I look "almost obese???" I think one of the major things to learn in our quest for fitness and health is that we need to start trusting OURSELVES as the ultimate experts on our own bodies.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I been wanting to know my body fat% for a while now, so i finally decided to try one on the internet. So i did all my measurement and clicked submit thinking it would be in the 20s but not too high. Suddenly 27.6% pops up and i have a heart attack! 3% more and i would be classified as obese and at risk of developing heart disease!

DON'T PAY ATTENTION to the add your number BMI calculators. It tells me that I'm on the cusp of obese. I teach strength training and spinning and I wear a size 6. LOL. I am mostly muscle (with the exception of my heiny. LOL!) Those don't work at all I don't think. See if you can get a real one done at your gym with one of the trainers. :-) HTH!
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

DON'T PAY ATTENTION to the add your number BMI calculators. It tells me that I'm on the cusp of obese. I teach strength training and spinning and I wear a size 6. LOL. I am mostly muscle (with the exception of my heiny. LOL!) Those don't work at all I don't think. See if you can get a real one done at your gym with one of the trainers. :-) HTH!

Agreed! Ask a trainer to give you a breakdown. I have also read articles as to how muscular/fit individuals can have a high % when the calculations are done. Know your body and when in doubt ask a trainer or your physician. Good luck!