ARRGGHHH!! Why do they do it?

Options
Why does the media insist on presenting weight loss as something that has to be "fast" or it's not effective? Why don't they present the facts? That slow weight loss is the healthy kind AND the kind that is most likely to last?

I just flipped on this show "Half Their Size" on ABC--it looked interesting. Another weight loss show about people who are struggling to lose weight. But I thought it would be about people struggling to lose alot, like hmm, maybe "half their size" in weight? Gee, I don't know why the title gave me that idea :tongue: Anyway, since when I reach my goal, I would have lost half my weight, I thought I'd enjoy this show.

BUT, the first story up was about a woman trying to lose 60 pounds (not 1/2 her size) and what did the dip-does say about her weight loss to date?

"After 6 weeks, she has ONLY LOST 12 POUNDS" and then they went on to say that "she has to get serious" about her weight loss

:noway: :noway: :noway:

She's on a 1200 calorie a day diet--she works out with a trainer 5 days a week 3 hours each time (15 hours total). And she's "only" lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks!

That's 2 pounds a week--man, what I wouldn't give for 2 pounds a week right now!

Plus, that's a good healthy rate--so why make it sound like it's horrible?????

No wonder everyone thinks they can all be like Biggest Loser and drop 20 pounds or more in a week.

Stupid media! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Why does the media insist on presenting weight loss as something that has to be "fast" or it's not effective? Why don't they present the facts? That slow weight loss is the healthy kind AND the kind that is most likely to last?

I just flipped on this show "Half Their Size" on ABC--it looked interesting. Another weight loss show about people who are struggling to lose weight. But I thought it would be about people struggling to lose alot, like hmm, maybe "half their size" in weight? Gee, I don't know why the title gave me that idea :tongue: Anyway, since when I reach my goal, I would have lost half my weight, I thought I'd enjoy this show.

BUT, the first story up was about a woman trying to lose 60 pounds (not 1/2 her size) and what did the dip-does say about her weight loss to date?

"After 6 weeks, she has ONLY LOST 12 POUNDS" and then they went on to say that "she has to get serious" about her weight loss

:noway: :noway: :noway:

She's on a 1200 calorie a day diet--she works out with a trainer 5 days a week 3 hours each time (15 hours total). And she's "only" lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks!

That's 2 pounds a week--man, what I wouldn't give for 2 pounds a week right now!

Plus, that's a good healthy rate--so why make it sound like it's horrible?????

No wonder everyone thinks they can all be like Biggest Loser and drop 20 pounds or more in a week.

Stupid media! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This frustrates me as well. Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong when I am "only" losing 2 pounds a week and the people on the Biggest Loser are shedding 15 or 20!
  • froggirl
    Options
    Yeah but those Biggest Losers will pack it back on just as fast when it's over.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    do people on Biggest Loser actually lose 15-20 lbs a week? I've never watched that show. That sounds like a ridiculously unhealthy amount of water weight...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    what's worse is when they show the new Hollywood moms and their "post Baby" bodies and let them shriek about how they got their bodies back. Hey-- give me a nurse, nanny, nutritionist, cook, housecleaner and personal trainer and I'd look like that, too-- reality check, people. These are not REAL people.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I think part of it is because everyone wants fast results. No one wants to be told that you have to be patient and wait for something. So the media feeds it. The media shows what they think the people want to see, or else they wouldn't make money.

I always cringe when I see ads and such for weight loss products/diet plans saying "loose 6 pounds in a week!" So many people will go for it just because we have that 'I want it and I want it now!' mind set.

I would much rather lose slowly and have a loss that will last, and create habits that I can continue and strengthen even after I reach my goal. I figure the year will pass anyway, whether or not I do it healthily, so I might as well just be patient!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Yeah but those Biggest Losers will pack it back on just as fast when it's over.

hm....I think quite a number of them have kept it off from the looks of it on the speaking engagements etc. they've done.

They work out VERY VERY hard under supervised conditons, they eat under supervised conditons, I doubt the show has them eating 1200 calories and not add back the excercise ones.

They are losing a ton of weight each week because they are larger folks. Many times the more weight a person has to lose the quicker it comes off at the begining...as long as it's done in a healthy way, I don't see anything wrong with that.

A person with only 8 lbs. to lose, their body will take much longer....just the way our bodies work....

A total change in eating behaviors like on the show....is a perfect example of why they are dropping it so quickly. From eating not healthy to eating very healthy with lots of strength and cardio all day....well, how can they NOT lose a ton each week.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I agree, I HATE that weight loss is presented as a quick fix for life problems and that fast is the only option. Also, I agree that celebrity weight loss, and gain, is a JOKE! I have twins and there is NO WAY I would be tri-athelon ready in the time it took JLO. I am a real mom(not belittling anones mothering here) who doesn't have the money to spend on all of the people it takes to get to that stage. I am just now loosing the "baby" weight from my 12 year old!!!
    But in the age of instant gratification how can we not expect the media to play to the desire of instant? Just know that we are all here to be healthy, loose in a healthy way, and connect with people who can directly relate to our struggles and successes in our weight loss journey.
    SO . . . . CONGRATS to all you other loosers! Love ya, and thanks for your support!!!!!!

:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: