Thyroid treatment

Options
Just found out today that I may have an underactive Thyroid. :mad: Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is on Thyroid replacement therapy and what your experience has been.

Replies

• ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Just found out today that I may have an underactive Thyroid. :mad: Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is on Thyroid replacement therapy and what your experience has been.
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have the same condition. Normally it isn't a problem and you can function fine. I however, am an exception to that rule.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am getting tested tomorrow.

What were your symptoms? I am tired, all the time. I can't remember anything....I feel very scatterbrained. I exercise my tail off and can't seem to lose any weight, in fact I have gained a few for no apparent reason. For months this has been going on and some other stuff too and everyone I talk to says GET YOUR THYROID checked. My grandmother also had thyroid problems. Not that I want to have something wrong with me, but it sure would be nice to know why all my hard, hard, hard work is not paying off.

I am going to the doctor with a list of my food intake and exercise time and calories burned according to my HRM. I have it all printed up from the last two months.
  • ce_fit
    Options
    I am getting tested tomorrow.

What were your symptoms? I am tired, all the time. I can't remember anything....I feel very scatterbrained. I exercise my tail off and can't seem to lose any weight, in fact I have gained a few for no apparent reason. For months this has been going on and some other stuff too and everyone I talk to says GET YOUR THYROID checked. My grandmother also had thyroid problems. Not that I want to have something wrong with me, but it sure would be nice to know why all my hard, hard, hard work is not paying off.

I am going to the doctor with a list of my food intake and exercise time and calories burned according to my HRM. I have it all printed up from the last two months.

I did not think I had any symptons until I read about it after being told by the doctor. But know that I look back at it I would say that my energy level has droped( I no longer can pull an all nighter), my joke to everyone is "I have 1/2heimers, 1/2 the way to alzheimers"
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I am hypo also. Being on meds has made 100% difference to my ability to lose weight. Not to mention clarity of mind, restfulness, lack of bruising........ but it can take a while to get just the right dosage so be patient :smile:
  • McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am hypo also. Being on meds has made 100% difference to my ability to lose weight. Not to mention clarity of mind, restfulness, lack of bruising........ but it can take a while to get just the right dosage so be patient :smile:

aint that the truth, i got diagnosed when i was 14, i am 18 now,, i literally couldnt stay awake for more than 15 minutes at a time, my mother got really worreid and even swore i was on drugs.. lmao... but after taking me to get blood work done, i was SEVERLY anemic, and have hypothyroidism, its been so hard to keep medicine right, i was taking 150 mg, but now i am going to get more bloodwork on the eighth to see if it needs adjusting AGAIN!! blah, its not bad tho, i havent been on meds for a while now, because one doc. will say i'm fine, and another will say i need to be on meds. idk.. i do know that when i'm not on my meds its IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose weight!! and i have no energy during the day!!!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    My doctor kind of ticked me off a bit today. I went in with all my charts of exercise and calories and even took the watch part of my HRM to show her the burned calories and time spent exercising and at first she argued that my numbers just couldn't be right. There was no way for me to not be losing weight doing what I was doing. Finally after going round and round with her she shut up and listened to me. They drew blood. I should know something next week. Thanks for the input. In a way I hope I do have an underactive thyroid just so I can say..."TOLD YOU SO!!" Doctors just irk me sometimes. I know my body better than anyone and something isn't right. I wish I could find one that would just listen to me. All right. My rant is done.
  • ce_fit
    Options
    My doctor kind of ticked me off a bit today. I went in with all my charts of exercise and calories and even took the watch part of my HRM to show her the burned calories and time spent exercising and at first she argued that my numbers just couldn't be right. There was no way for me to not be losing weight doing what I was doing. Finally after going round and round with her she shut up and listened to me. They drew blood. I should know something next week. Thanks for the input. In a way I hope I do have an underactive thyroid just so I can say..."TOLD YOU SO!!" Doctors just irk me sometimes. I know my body better than anyone and something isn't right. I wish I could find one that would just listen to me. All right. My rant is done.

I agree about Doctor's not listening, sometimes they want to peg you into a certain hole but when you do not fit they say you must be wrong or not telling me something. Did they mention the tests they were doing? The further test's that I had yesterday was for T3 & T4 levels. I hope they are able to get to the bottom of it for you. :flowerforyou:

While reading up about an under active thyroid yesterday I read somewhere that to loose weight you need to go lower than calculated amounts. So for example if MFP says eat 1600 calories you with an underactive thyroid can only eat 1400 calories. Sorry I do not have the link.

Good-luck Bamboo and safe riding.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options

I agree about Doctor's not listening, sometimes they want to peg you into a certain hole but when you do not fit they say you must be wrong or not telling me something. Did they mention the tests they were doing? The further test's that I had yesterday was for T3 & T4 levels. I hope they are able to get to the bottom of it for you. :flowerforyou:

While reading up about an under active thyroid yesterday I read somewhere that to loose weight you need to go lower than calculated amounts. So for example if MFP says eat 1600 calories you with an underactive thyroid can only eat 1400 calories. Sorry I do not have the link.

Good-luck Bamboo and safe riding.

She told me the test was very complex and I would not get results until next week. She did mention T-something, I think. I don't know yet if my thyroid is underactive but I do know that I can't eat my exercise calories and lose weight. I tried it for two months and gained ten pounds. I really feel like something is up with my body...but I may just be getting older and things like my metabolism are just slowing down. BUT, I have had several people who see me all over town--either on my bike or on foot, say "as much as you exercise you should be skinny as a stick" and they are right. I usually am doing some form of exercise activity three hours a day. I eat right. I don't starve. I am not losing. I can't even lose the ten pounds I gained when eating my exercise calories. I will keep you posted!
  • ce_fit
    Options
    She told me the test was very complex and I would not get results until next week. She did mention T-something, I think. I don't know yet if my thyroid is underactive but I do know that I can't eat my exercise calories and lose weight. I tried it for two months and gained ten pounds. I really feel like something is up with my body...but I may just be getting older and things like my metabolism are just slowing down. BUT, I have had several people who see me all over town--either on my bike or on foot, say "as much as you exercise you should be skinny as a stick" and they are right. I usually am doing some form of exercise activity three hours a day. I eat right. I don't starve. I am not losing. I can't even lose the ten pounds I gained when eating my exercise calories. I will keep you posted!

Hey Bamboo;
    I wait to here my results as well. Let's hope there is some answers!! As much as everyone tells us to eat our excercise calories I believe that if we do have an underactive thyroid then we should eat less that the amount of our recommended calories. I did read it somewhere on my search. Try going below your calories by 200 a day ... just to see...

Good luck
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I normally have my results by the end of the day??? Wondering what you found out.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I had a few sessions of thyroid scans at the hospital a couple weeks back because mine appears to be overactive...I get the results tomorrow. Good luck in getting your body working correctly! :flowerforyou:
  • ce_fit
    Options
    I normally have my results by the end of the day??? Wondering what you found out.

Got the results On Monday. My readings where back to an acceptable range. But the doctor said I need to have a blood test every six months to see if I slipp below the acceptable range.

In the meantime I am going to do some research on things in the diet that will haelp a underactive thyroid.

Thanks for the enquiry.:smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    So, what "causes" this thyroid stuff? It seems that a lot of people on here have problems one way or the other with thyroid. Any other symptoms?
  • shorerider
    Options
    ok, I did some googling and found this out:

---risk of thyroid problems increase with age, particularly with women

---people with one "auto-immune disease" are more prone to thyroid problems--such as diabetics (to the extent that even the American Diabetes Associations recommends diabetics be tested every 3-5 years for thyroid problems). As many as 36% or higher Type 2 Diabetics may have undiagnosed thyroid problems. And, diabetics are as much as 3x more likely to develop thyroid problems

---pre or peri menopausal women are more prone to thyroid problems

--soy products can and most likely will increase or bring on thyroid problems

--symptoms of hypothyroidism include dry skin, hair loss, constipation, weight gain/inability to lose weight and other symptoms

--diabetics with hyperthyroidism can experience problems with high blood sugar

--diabetics with hypothyroidism can experience problems with low blood sugar

There's a host of other info out there as well. But these listed above have led me to decide to discuss this with my doc when next I see her. I had no idea that I fell into the category of being very likely to have thyroid issues. And, my doc has me drinking soy milk every day for pre-menopause, which could be making it worse or increasing my likelihood to develop thyroid issues.

I also have or have had most of the symptoms of hypothyroidism with the exception of high cholesterol.

I'm not jumping on a bandwagon here and saying "I've got it, too" but I know that with the amount of exercise I do, I should be losing more than I am. I lost a lot of weight really fast when I first came to MFP but for the last 3 months, it's been a struggle to figure out what is going on with my weight loss. I yo-yo up and down continuously and sometimes go weeks with no loss at all.

For example, I gained 3 pounds overnight 2 weeks ago. Then, 4 days after that, I lost 5 pounds overnight. I then lost 1 pound a day for 3 days! THEN, I gained 8 pounds over this past weekend--I've lost 6 of it back since Tuesday. By the time I factor in all my yo-yoing, I'm averaging 1/2 of a pound a week for the most part over the last 2 months, when I do lose at all. Now, see, that just ain't right! This isn't about wanting to "lose weight fast" either but simply lose something!!!

And, no, I haven't lost any inches in 3 weeks either :frown:

Songbyrdsweet has been teaching me all about glycogen and how that is stored and effects our weight but I just can't help but think there might be something else going on here.

Not to mention the increasing problems regulating my blood sugar--I'm having lows every day STILL even when I don't take my pill and even though I sometimes eat as much as 200 or more carbs a day. I hit 42 the other night, which scared the you-know-what-out of me because I had absolutely no symptoms of low blood sugar. I very well could have crashed because I didn't realize I was low until I tested.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up again. For some reason, I finally stopped to read a thyroid post and now have a line to what might be going on with me--talking to my doc when next I see her and see what she says. If my thyroid is fine, then I'll go back to weight loss yo-yo and deal with it but at least now I've got another rabbit hole to check out :smile:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Added--seems to be that if being diabetic increases risk of thyroid issues, then wouldn't it also work in reverse??? Thyroid problems increase risk of diabetes??
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I still have not heard anything from my doc. I am hoping that maybe today I will hear back from her one way or another.

Shore, you should certainly talk to your doctor about this. No harm in getting it checked out. Thyroid problems are very common, but most of the time people don't even know it.

Ce_fit, glad you are back to yourself. Let us know what sort of diet info you find out. I would be interested in reading it.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Well my test came back normal as well. I read though that you can have issues that the test does not pick up. I am going to do some research on the issue b/c something has got to give. I am working my tail off and not see any results. It is quite discouraging. And I am just plain tired. Not that I wanted to have anything wrong with me, but it would have been nice to know what the deal is.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Well my test came back normal as well. I read though that you can have issues that the test does not pick up. I am going to do some research on the issue b/c something has got to give. I am working my tail off and not see any results. It is quite discouraging. And I am just plain tired. Not that I wanted to have anything wrong with me, but it would have been nice to know what the deal is.

I read a couple things on the 'net that said tests can show "normal" but there still be a problem. I went and brought regular milk today and am throwing the soy milk out--see if that helps any in some way.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I read a couple things on the 'net that said tests can show "normal" but there still be a problem. I went and brought regular milk today and am throwing the soy milk out--see if that helps any in some way.
    Just a thought Shore....organic milk might be a thing to try for you....as all the hormones they put in our foods can really mess with our own hormone levels.

ACk....can't stand that they are able to give animals hormone injections to fatten them up, which covers, eggs, cheese, milk.........well you get the idea............ :grumble:

I much prefer the taste of organtic milk as well...it's a consistent taste each time, where as if I drink regular skim milk it will taste different each time depending on what the cows are fed or what they graze on.

sigh......food choices can sure get complicated when 'folks out there' mess with our natural food....just to try and make it shinier, last longer on the shelf, etc. etc.

I'm sure some of you know what I"m talking about....

Best of luck to you all in your results and search for what's up with your bodies!!!:flowerforyou: