How do you know which one to do?

dont_give_up
dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Before I started my diet, the only exercise I got was walking, and even that wasn't on a daily basis. I have started walking about 2 miles a day 5 days a week. Now I would like to start an exercise program as well, but how do I know which one to do? I don't have a car, so I can't go to the gym. I do have a lot of free exercise programs that are on cable.

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Walking is great exercise! Keep that up and maybe add a few intervals of jogging to challenge your body. That means walk for 45-50 seconds, then add jogging for 10-15 seconds. Repeat for the length of your walk. I would also suggest doing some light strength training which can include crunches, push-ups, leg raises, etc. Search YouTube for some easy exercises to do at home with or without weights. If you don't have weights, use household items like cans of soup, milk jugs filled with different levels of water, etc.
  • It depends on what is more appealing to you. The one you like better, you'd stick to more. Also, it depends on the times the programs are on cable so you should do the program that suits your time space.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    I agree with doing what sounds appealing to you. Maybe try out some new things, like the exercise programs available on cable. There are also a lot of really great exercise channels on YouTube. Search Tone It Up on YouTube. It is the channel of two trainers who have some really great exercises you can do it home with little or no equipment! I'd recommend getting some light hand weights to start incorporating into your workouts. Keep up the walking, but try something new as well! Your body needs variety to shed weight.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Check out No Excuses Workouts at www.noexcusesworkouts.com.

There is a paid component (it is really quite cheap compared to a gym membership or buying equipment) but there is also a free program as well that includes interval workouts three(ish) days a week and a six minute strength training routine (called a NEWO, for No Excuses WorkOut) that you can do all at home, no matter what your fitness level is. The guy that puts this together also has a weekly Blog Talk Radio show that you can call into for advice or listen to as a podcast. Great stuff!
This discussion has been closed.