Small Victory - Breaking a Plateau

Options
"Success isn't something you chase. It's something you have to put forth the effort for constantly. Then maybe it'll come when you least expect it. Most people don't understand that." ~ Michael Jordan.

I finally broke a plateau this morning... I woke up with a flat stomach and saw under 150 lbs on the scale (149.2 this morning!) which has been elusive for more than 2 years.

My heaviest weight was 164 (I'm 5' 4 1/2") and I easily dropped to 152 - 154 which I maintained for a year when I switched out of a stressful job. However, even with all the working out (personal trainer 2 - 3 times a week and running), I just could not get below 150.

When I started traveling more for work and I saw the scale creep up to 157, I knew I had to do something, so I joined MFP three weeks ago (a recommendation of my trainer). It took me a while to get into the swing of MFP..... my recommended calories were initially too low which triggered binging, so I upped my recommended calories and I also got a HRM for more accurate calorie burning info since MFP generally overestimates. I think it was also very helpful to me to log the calories of my binges... it was very painful to do, but when you realize how hard it is to burn off calories and how many calories those binges are, you realize that whatever comfort feeling you get from binging is just not worth it.

It really is 80 - 90% diet/nutrition. Working out will firm you up and keep your heart healthy, but unless you are ready to face the cold hard facts of the true amount of food you are intaking, you will have a hard time successfully losing weight.

Thanks to MFP for a great website (and Blackberry mobile app!) and to the MFP community. I've learned so much and have been motivated by so many stories. I look forward to continuing to my GW of 135.

Good luck to all in the MFP community.... you are all AMAZING for caring about yourself enough to improve your health and well-being. Take a moment to pat yourself on the back today.

Replies

• chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    congrats!
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    very well said and congrats on your victory!
  • allibawtez
    allibawtez Posts: 47
    Options
    Great post! I honestly believe you were reading my mind this morning =) I agree 100% that not lying to ourselves about how much food we actually put into our bodies and the number of calories we consume each day is a huge part of overcoming the mental block of weight loss. Thanks again for posting. Congratulations on breaking your plateau! Keep up the good work!