Calories burned

Options
Teeladog
Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
I am having a hard time figuring out what to believe on how many calories I burn working out. I have been using the estimate on MFP but I don't really trust them entirely.

So...I dug my heart rate monitor out of the bottom of my gym bag today. I use the watch part every day to time my workouts etc. but I haven't used the strap in a couple of years. I took it on my HIIT workout this morning and did alternating walk/high intensity run intervals for an hour. I feel like I worked pretty hard but I still have a pretty bad head cold that has knocked me off my exercise plan for the past two weeks so I wasn't at the highest level I could have done. In any event, my HRM claims I burned 908 calories. Is that possible? I want to believe it but I tend to eat all my exercise calories and I don't want to eat too much.

What do you guys use to determine calories burned? Could my HRM actually be accurate? It is an Ironman Triathalon if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Replies

• chachii26
    chachii26 Posts: 45
    Options
    I started a similar topic myself about this...I do 45 min of cardio on the elliptical at max strength on level 1 and the machine used to tell me i was burning anywhere from 700 to 1000 and over calories. Everyone recommended a HRM so i got one...and according to it the machine was pretty accurate. mine is a new balance that doesn't need chest strap. Im still not sure if my tracking calories burnt accurately but I don't usually eat all my exercise calories back.....
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    Honestly, I use the calorie counter on my elliptical.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    908 seems high for someone of your weight for an hour (if I'm reading your weight correctly at 150). I'm a bit heavier than you and my upper limit when doing HIIT is around 650 calories in an hour -- but maybe you are working out harder than I am ;)

Since you haven't used the strap in quite awhile - is it set to your correct weight and age in the settings of the watch? Did you happen to look at the watch throughout to make sure it was "logic" checking and info was being sent to the watch correctly?

I've seen people post burns like that on here - but typically, they weigh 50 pounds more than you do. So, in your shoes, I'd be leery too. I suppose it is possible, just not likely. I'd think the burn was closer to 600-650.
  • AngelaAbbott391
    Options
    Honestly, I use the calorie counter on my elliptical. I try to be safe and assume that I'm burning less calories than what it says I have, but I always burn at least the amount of calories that I have consumed. Then again, I only eat 2-3 small meals a day, so it's easier to do... I don't know if the whole 900 something calories is right, but in 10 minutes of high interval training on my elliptical, I usually burn around 250ish calories, so in an hour, it's probably trust worthy.
  • Banjolover
    Options
    Since you haven't used the HRM features for awhile, be sure the setting parameters are up to date ie. your current body weight, and an accurate measure of your Maximum heart rate, as I think those parameters are used in calculating your calories burned. What was your average heart rate during your hour of interval training?? If it was up near your Max (say in Zone 4-5) you may have burned that many calories. II have the Timex Fitness HRM and love its features. Also, make sure the battery in the chest strap is still strong. They are supposed to last for several years I believe.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys...I did reset all the info in it today before I worked out...weight etc. And, I had to put a new battery in. I guess I will have to play with this some. It just seems too high...I was expecting it to be more in the 500-600 range.