BIG NSV for me - and one for you, too!!!!

Options
SmashleeWpg
SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
Hi friends! Had to share this with you all because I think everyone can benefit from my NSV today.

I had a half-marathon this morning. Not my first, but I haven’t competed in a couple of years. I trained for it, followed a schedule, and tried to be mindful of my nutrition for the duration, because I wanted to feel good during the run, and I wanted to do well!

So race day came up pretty quickly and I’m so happy to say that despite only clocking 4 hours of sleep, I felt really great for almost all of it! I ran with a girlfriend and we ran faster than the pace we had set for ourselves, which is never a bad thing. I was able to finish in 2:24, which is EIGHT MINUTES faster than my PR!!! The kicker is that I’m 20 pounds heavier than when I last ran, and yet I smoked my time! Just goes to show that with perseverance and training, you can accomplish awesome things!

What I really wanted to share though, was this revelation I had while on miles 11 and 12 when it got a little nitty gritty and I had to talk to myself and pump myself up...

I think that a lot of us are on this journey, be it to be fitter, healthier, smaller, bigger, lift heavier weights, look better in a bikini/jeans/dress/what have you, and that we’re all VERY focused on attaining these goals. Always looking to the future. While that’s absolutely awesome, there is also something to be said about living in the now. I think that sometimes – myself included – we forget to stop and thank our bodies for what they do for us RIGHT NOW. We forget to appreciate all that our bodies allow us to do each and every single day. Not 5, 10, 50 pounds from now – RIGHT now. So I got a little emotional during the last stretch of my marathon because it really hit home that my body was allowing me to complete this race with relative ease, and had endured hours of training and discomfort. It may not be exactly where I want it to be, but it’s strong, it’s powerful, and it’s resilient – and even though I’m trucking around an extra 20/25 pounds, that’s darn sexy!!!

But oh, how my knees are going to thank me and how I will fly along the road once I get to where I want to be! :)

So just try taking a few minutes today, to really reflect and give your body props - it’s supporting you on your journey!

Cheers and Happy Father’s Day to everyone :)

Replies

• kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    wtg :) its a great feeling
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    LOVE that. Such a great post...So proud of you girl!
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    What an awesome perspective! Thank you!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Such a inspiration!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Love your attitude! Have a great day!
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    What a wonderful perspective. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful day!:smile:
  • ptpatty
    ptpatty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that. So true.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Awesome post and a great reminder to us all! Thanks for sharing and a big congrats to you in breaking your time!
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    I read with interest what you said. I used to do half-marathons, and remember how tough those last miles were. You really get into a zone where your mind transcends what you usually can contemplate. Keep up the good work.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I am so proud of you!! Keep up the good work and you will be where you want to be sooner than you think!! I really needed to hear this as I walk daily but never see a loss but like you said at least my body gets me up and lets me walk.

Bev
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    ""Thank you me!!!""
  • Zurelily
    Zurelily Posts: 21
    Options
    Wonderful post! You should be really proud of yourself :) Thanks for the post :)
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Great post. Indeed focus on the now.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    You have perfect timing... I REALLY needed to read that today.. Thank you for the inspiration and reflection. I have 63 days until my 10k, and 119 until my half marathon, and I am struggling to finish a 5 mile run without knee pain and stopping. Instead of getting all upset and feeling like a loser, today I will thank my body for all it has put up with from me, and all it does now. I am a former smoker, a former pretty heavy drinker, and someone who did NOT eat well at all. It has paid its dues. I am now trying to fix all the damage I have done to it, and it is a champion. Even if I don't finish my races, I will still appreciate how far I have come.

Thanks again!!
  • TBecks9
    TBecks9 Posts: 1
    Options
    You're a complete Rockstar and a huge inspiration to everyone!!! I am so proud of you!!! :)
  • Silverstrand
    Silverstrand Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Best. Post. Ever. You're awesome! I so needed to read this today. Thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!