who here eats clean and .....

Options
how long after you started to eat clean did you notice your body thanking you for it, in more ways than just weight loss?

A couple years ago I was a huge clean eating snob, shopping mainly the perimeter of the grocery store, eating food as nature intended it to be eaten, and I just remember how awesome I felt all the time, how great my skin looked, how much energy I had, and all that jazz.

I had surgery last summer and that blew basically my whole healthy living regimen out of orbit, I gained some weight, I fell back into old habits of eating crap, and the results haven't been real pretty. I finally got my head out of my *kitten* and I'm back on the road to success. Just kind of wanted to blab about clean eating here on the forum, maybe learn a thing or two, and maybe even inspire others to do the same.

I love clean eating. I love how I can just slice up a bunch of fresh, colorful bell peppers and stash them in the fridge for the week where I can reach in, grab a handful and a bag of nuts or maybe a slice of Ezekiel bread, and be on my merry way out the door. I love how I feel when I'm driving down the road, munching on said pepper strips, knowing that what I'm doing is so great for my body, and reflecting back on the days when instead of peppers, that might be a snicker bar and a Pepsi in my hand.

I'm looking forward to the garbage to be completely out of my system. I know once the remnants of my garbage 'food' is gone from my bloodstream and has been replaced with vitamins and minerals from all the fresh, healthy, unadulterated goodness I've been eating, the cravings for refined, processed poison will cease to exist entirely and it won't even be an effort to leave them on the shelves at the grocery store.

If you've got a clean eating success story you'd like to share on this thread, please feel free to do so!

Replies

• suamiga1217
    suamiga1217 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am with you , I love to eat organic and cook for myself a majority of the time. I notice textures and tastes are very different and I so much more control of what I am fueling myself with. The quality of my food has never been a problem it is my emotional eating which has until recently had a life of its own. I finally feel in control. I also cannot believe what consistant exercise has done for me,.\ emotionally and physically. Today was the first day at the farmers market so excited about a healthy low cal dinner. Best Wishes :smile:
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you mean eating fresh, raw foods without preservatives or additives, organic and whole grain... than yes its a great feeling

1) knowing that your body is eating foods the way that they were meant to be eaten
    2) my hair, skin, and nails are all healthy looking and feeling
    3) i have cured my IBS (Irritable bowel symdrome)
    4) lost weight
    5) improved my anxiety and depression
    6) taught my family how to eat better

its a great feeling!
  • lolananda
    lolananda Posts: 7
    Options
    Fellow food snobs unite! LOL I suppose I am what you are calling a "clean eater". I have been blessed/cursed with a body that just will not function if I eat crap. That being said, I still manage to stand in my own way for long periods of time and gain weight and form some bizarre and life-changing health problems. But junk food for me is usually health food for most people. : /

What is truly exciting is that as soon as I get my act together and give my body what it wants....miracles happen! Serious miracles....
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have been eating clean for the longest time. I only drink bottled water and eat fresh fruits and vegetables (in Summer they come out of my garden), along with chicken and fish and Greek Yogurt. Nothing out of a box or baked and no sweets either. I used to eat unsalted nuts but they are too high in calories for me. I even gave up the healthy whole wheat/grain bread. My only indulgence would be 100 calorie pack kettle corn and low fat fudgesicles. It's made me feel great and has helped me to lose weight too and lower my cholesterol. I'm sticking to this eating pattern cause it works for me.
  • simplysarahd
    Options
    I'm curious, what is the definition of clean eating? Is it the same as organic?
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    CeleryStalker : similar scenario...just came out of hospital and it blew my clean diet to crap!! I was never perfect but sooooo much better than I had ever been in my life. Skin and hair was better and I lost weight where as before it was a miracle if I dropped a lb. I know that, like you mentioned, once I get this junk out of my system I'll start craving my veggies again....I can't wait to get back on track.

Good luck!

Also, I've been looking for ezekiel bread forever and can't find it? Do you have to purchase it in a specialty store?
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you mean eating fresh, raw foods without preservatives or additives, organic and whole grain... than yes its a great feeling

That's exactly what I'm talking about :)

Sarah, it's not the same as organic. Clean eating is eating food as close to nature intended, basically what you can find in the perimeter of your grocery store. Fresh fruits, veggies, meats, whole grain.....organic is part of it, but whoa nelly, there's a ton of organic stuff that is far from clean, LOL
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Been eating clean, since highschool back before it was popular....grewup eating out our family garden, raisng our own eggs, beef, etc if I eat at fast food my body rejects me....I feel lighter , clear skin, I don't smell, and I don't look my age. :-) my husbands parents were hippies, so it made eating clean easy.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options

Also, I've been looking for ezekiel bread forever and can't find it? Do you have to purchase it in a specialty store?

Not sure where ya live, but if you live where there are Food Lion grocery stores, the nicer ones carry it over in the freezer section. Lowes Food and Kroger both carry it, as do Trader Joe's and Whole Foods :)

Most stores keep it refrigerated. I think Trader Joe's is the only place I've seen it not in the fridge. I was wondering why on the way home from there today. LOL
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Been eating clean, since highschool back before it was popular....grewup eating out our family garden, raisng our own eggs, beef, etc if I eat at fast food my body rejects me....I feel lighter , clear skin, I don't smell, and I don't look my age. :-) my husbands parents were hippies, so it made eating clean easy.

LOL Lucky! No hippies in my family to keep me honest, but I have to say, eating clean is a lot easier than any other way of eating. I've tried so many ways to lose weight, so many restrictive plans, and while they may have worked while 'on' them, I quickly got sick of adhering to the rules of whatever. Like low carb....it would seriously piss me off to not be able to eat fruit. Why can't I eat fruit? It's healthy and loaded with nutrients, damn it!

Eating clean is just awesome. I love fruits and veggies anyways, and since having kids, I've gone the organic meat and dairy route because, and I'm sure she will hate me for this later but, I didn't want my daughter sprouting a full set of boobs in 4th grade and I really, really believe that the reason kids are hitting puberty earlier and earlier is because of the hormones being used with our food sources.
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have "lost my way " with and abusive ex-husband that would starve me and I started to eat what ever I could sneak. When I had my children i started eating better I gained 200 pounds from not eating and now I don't want my children to have trouble so im trying to get them eating "right". My new husband loves the way the kids eat they ask for fruit over candy they know where its best to shop and they love to watch Mommy cook. In high school i ate clean with out knowing it I have started to see the boost in energy over the last few years after getting back on track. I also have a severe allergy to food dyes so whole foods and organic was a way for me to coop my family don't think that you can have a allergy to foods or dyes, but their nephew has a peanut allergy and they have no troubles with that but I have been hospitalized for mine and they told me to get up and take care of my kids. Clean eating has saved my life. What better expectations can I have?
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Last October I was fed up with feeling like crap all the time. Tired, cranky, acid reflux, upset stomach.. you know the 'senior' ailments. I am 44 and at the time weighed 239, an all time high. My local Whole Foods had a couple of folks there who had FREE cooking classes, except they didn't really 'cook'. It was RAW food recipes and juicing. I started learning about clean eating and went through a 28 day detox. No alcohol, grains, dairy, sugar or caffeine for 28 days! I ate mostly raw foods with a small amount of cooked. I thought the lack of caffeine would kill me but it didn't, as a matter of fact I lost 15lbs, got rid of the acid reflux and stomach issues and had more energy than I knew what to do with!! I don't remember the last time I felt so good!!!

I've had rocky road of finding a good balance. I would get derailed any time I was outside of my comfort zone; traveling for work, lunch with clients etc.. but now I am focusing on sticking with the basics. It's a lifestyle change and I am battling years of eating the SAD (standard american diet) way. Emotional eating has also been a big factor so I am working on balance.

I highly recommend juicing!!! O.. M.. G!!! I've never felt better while juicing. For bfast I juice, Carrots (8), Apples (1-2) and Lemon (1). This yields about 12-14oz of juice. Drink on an empty stomach and wait at least 20 minutes before eating anything. Your body will thank you. No more stomach issues... no more acid reflux and LOTS more energy!!!!!

Would love to know some of your favs!!!!

Debbie
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I don't eat processed food or sweet drinks, but I don't really think about it, it's just how I was brought up. You eat food you could grow yourself and drink water or tea.

I hate peppers, though! In fact, I don't like many/any vegetables raw.
  • noely1974
    noely1974 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    one thing i have noticed when i ditched the processed, fatty and sugary foods is i never feel that really starving feeling i get sometimes when i come home from work and have to shove any old crap in my mouth to quench it. I always feel i can wait for the right time to eat because i am not going short of any essential food groups. when filling up on 'unclean foods' you are missing a lot of nutrients so start to crave again not long after which as we all know becomes a vicious circle with one loser. now if only there was clean beer!!
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    we were really good at doing this a few years ago, the last couple years not so much :/ but my question: do any of you go through cleansings? like a detox, or one of those other things that clean out your system and get rid of the stuff that really shouldnt be lingering there? lol... i've always been curious about those and if they really work.
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but after a month of eating "clean," I really didn't feel the need for a flashy detox. The majority of them just don't sound logical/healthy to me (unless you really need help, um, moving), and can mess with your digestion if you're not careful. I will periodically go vegan or raw, but that's mostly to reset my attitude toward food after a vacation or something (and it does make me feel light and detoxified).

What I love most about clean eating is that after awhile processed and chemical foods taste just that--fake. The last time I ate fries at a fast food joint, I nearly gagged from the salt. I love real food . . .
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I thought it had been pretty much proved that detoxing is a con.
  • jjbja1226
    jjbja1226 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have recently been very interested in moving torward clean eating. I've found it challenging especially with side dishes at dinner. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than brown rice? Thanks!
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    one thing i have noticed when i ditched the processed, fatty and sugary foods is i never feel that really starving feeling i get sometimes when i come home from work and have to shove any old crap in my mouth to quench it. I always feel i can wait for the right time to eat because i am not going short of any essential food groups. when filling up on 'unclean foods' you are missing a lot of nutrients so start to crave again not long after which as we all know becomes a vicious circle with one loser. now if only there was clean beer!!

I agree on the beer! If you find one let me know :-)
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Can you guys give me a daily menu of what you would eat? I just don't see how I would meet my calorie goals? I do eat mostly good but definately room for improvement.