Body Bug

Options
My husband wants to get each of us a body bug, it keeps track of your calories, monitors heart rate and other things the biggest loser contestants wear them. Has anyone heard of this or use one?

Replies

• kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    yes, it does it all and its great, but you have to pay a monthy fee for the monitoring, its like 10 bucks a month
  • jul21r
    jul21r Posts: 34
    Options
    I have had a Body Bugg for 3 years now and really like it. The armband does not keep track of your calories, you have to log your food just like you do on MFP. The armband calculates the calories you burn all day as long as you wear the band. I personally did not like the website for tracking food so I used MFP to track my food and then plugged in my Body Bugg to see what my calorie burn was for the day. I took the two numbers and subtracted them to make sure I had at least a 500 calorie deficit. It works for me (when I loyally track my food). I hope you enjoy your Body Bugg if you get it!
  • sara128
    sara128 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it, it really motivates me to achieve my daily calorie burn! I think that it's very straight forward to understand what u need to do to lose weight once you understand your own body. I'm hoping that it will help me maintain my weight once I achieve my goal!
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    I've had mine for a couple of years and love it. Unless the newer version is different, body bugg does not give you the heart rate. I wish there wasn't a fee for the website, but they sometimes have discounted subscriptions.
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    Options
    I don't know if they make one for the non-Japanese market (i.e., with English buttons and display), but "Calorism" from Tanita (one of the leading health-electronics makers over there) retails for maybe $40. Shows you the same info, minus heart rate, comes with an LCD display (which I believe is extra on BodyBugg), and there's no pesky monitoring fee.

You probably don't really need heart-rate monitoring except during exercise; for that, you can get a reasonably priced Polar watch and hr strap.

Good luck! :-)

b
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a month and really like it. The subscription is free for the first 6 months, then a monthly charge afterwards.

I bought the upgraded version which is supposed to interface with the iPhone, which I'm having issues with.

Keep in mind that if you have trouble with it, their support / office hours are only during the day -- they have no evening / weekend hours. This goes for their complementary coaching sessions as well.

The BodyBugg does not track heartrate -- everything but. See the thread on BodyBugg vs. Heart Rate Monitor -- it is very interesting how it works. Because it partially monitors activity based on the pendulum move of your arm, the Bugg may underreport your calories burned on activities such as bike riding or mowing the lawn where your arms are not moving.

Overall, I like the Bugg -- it has been pretty enlightening for me. I found out that I burn more calories at rest than I thought I did, less calories when I work out than I thought I burned. And those little "non exercise" activities like cleaning and shopping? Well, they actually DO add up. (and explains why I was a little hungrier than normal)

Keep us posted on whether you get one!
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    LOL. I just asked the same question a few days ago. I just ordered a Body Media Arm band, I looked up comparisons between the body bugg and this, and this one had higher reviews. You might want to check it out. I found mine on ebay.