Any tips please?

giftedcat
giftedcat Posts: 11
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Not sure if I am putting this in the right place.. anyhow..

I only started my fitness quest about 3 weeks ago. Since then, 3 - 4 times a week, this is my routine..

Mon - Studio Mix Class and 10 miles bike ride
Tue - Body Attack and 10 mile bike ride
Wed - aerobics, body combat and 10 mile bike ride
Fri - Body Pump and 10 mile bike ride.

Now although I have lost 7 inches all over. I have actually put on 4lbs! (although i did lose 1lb this week)

I have to admit, I haven't been too good food wise, as I thought that wouldn't matter too much. Although, I'm now thinking I need to be fairly strict with what I'm eating??

It's frustrating, as most days I'm burning 1000+ cals, but not actually losing any weight yet.

Thanks

Replies

• poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Just remember, muscle weighs more than fat! If I were you I'd focus on the goal of losing inches. Losing 7 is quite a feat! With all of that exercise you really don't want to cut back too much on your food, especially your protein intake or you run the risk of losing that precious muscle you've built.

Great job!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member

I have to admit, I haven't been too good food wise, as I thought that wouldn't matter too much. Although, I'm now thinking I need to be fairly strict with what I'm eating??

Losing weight is 90% diet, 10% exercise. You want to be stricter with your diet. Make sure you are eating enough to properly fuel yourself, but make smart choices and be conscious about your calories.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    I would have to agree...if you are buring that many calories (like me- I take all those classes as well...they are awesome!!!!) you need to make sure you are getting lots of protein and eatting back some of the calories you are burning.......

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of water....well they say 8 cups a day that is for the average person.....to get your true need for water take your weight and divide by 2- that is how many ozs you need....take that number and divide by 8 and that will give you the amount of cups you need....when you are doing combat, attack, pump you need to be consuming water during those outside of the normal cups per day...you should be getting about 4 8oz (1 litre of water) during each of those classes!!!!!

I cannot see your diary but your workouts seem very similiar to mine....when I updated the water and updated my food in take to 1500-1600 when I do classes I started to see 1-2 pounds per week...which of course is what you want...don't want to lose too quickly.....you want to be able to maintain!!! :-) Best of Luck and hope this helps a bit!
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Agree with everyone above, and instead of the scale, look at measuring yourself, if you haven't already.
  • When I first started to lose weight it came off pretty fast and then about a month into it I hit a plateau. Now from talking to other members it is very common. I was doing the same thing (exercise routine) all the time and I guess my body started to get used to it and my metabolism started to slow down so I was not losing any more weight. Someone suggested to me to change up my exercise routine (to shock my system) and so I started taking classes and right away I noticed a difference. Keep that in mind when you start to hit a plateau and good luck with everything:)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Are you wearing a heart rate monitor with a chest strap to accurately measure the number of calories burned from exercise? If not, you could be overestimating. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise so if you aren't making wise food choices, accurately logging everything you eat & drink and staying within your calorie limit then it's unreasonable for you to expect weight loss. Also, you need to be patient. How long did it take to put on your excess weight? Don't expect to lose it quickly. Be consistent and honest with yourself. You can do it!

And muscle does NOT" weigh" more than fat, contrary to another poster's reply.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    If you've lost inches, chances are you're replacing muscle with fat. And even though it is taking up a bit less space, the muscle weighs more per volume, so it is possible to gain weight and still be more fit.
    Make sure your settings are accurate on MFP (activity level, weight loss goal, etc) and then eat the calories you're given as a goal. Eat back most to all of your exercise calories. The fat will keep burning, especially if you are adding muscle.

You might also want to get a body fat analysis. See if there's someone at your gym who can do it - someone who can accurately measure (the electronic things are the least accurate, skin fold caliper measurements much better) and who can tell you what is considered healthy for someone your gender and age. Then monitor your body fat at least as much as the scale.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Just remember, muscle weighs more than fat! If I were you I'd focus on the goal of losing inches. Losing 7 is quite a feat! With all of that exercise you really don't want to cut back too much on your food, especially your protein intake or you run the risk of losing that precious muscle you've built.

Great job!

This is actually a myth. Pound for pound, muscle and fat weigh the same. It's definitely in the diet, so you need to be more strict and make sure you are eating plenty. However, muscle is leaner so 160 lbs of someone who is not fit looks very different than on someone who weighs 160 and is very fit.
  • giftedcat
    giftedcat Posts: 11
    Thanks all for you replies & all of the fab info.

I have been eating a fair bit of rubbish, so think I will start to make better choices. I want to lose roughly 2 stone (ish)

No I don't wear a heart rate monitor. I know I work hard though & my heart rate is so high at the moment, so am working on getting that down too.

Thanks again
  • Susie_Bee
    Susie_Bee Posts: 34
    Congratulations on making fitness goals! If you are losing inches but gaining weight, you are forming muscles. Your body uses more calories mainting muscle than fat, and so, the weight will eventually come off if you keep at it. My advice, and I am not an expert, would be to make sure that you are eating the right things to fuel your body for the amound of activity that you are doing. I would say that you need to make sure to have protein with every meal and to try to reduce complex carbs (white bread, pastries, cookies, etc.) and sugar for most visible and rapid results. Try to limit fruit as well (maybe 2-3 portions per day). Eat mostly meat and veggies for your meals. I Wishing you the best of luck with that!
This discussion has been closed.