Broad Shoulders.....

Options
I'm doing the 30 Day Shread at the moment..Just completed the first week. Ok, I'm a bit worried about what someone told me today, that i might make them look larger doing the 30ds, as doing the plank move and some shoulder weights moves are not helpfull for broad shoulders. Could do with some sound advice! I really dislike my Broad Shoulders, but got to make the most of what i've got, but really want a toned lady look not a bulky man look! I am overweight and need to loose another 20 pounds at least, I would like to complete the whole 30 days tho...Should i mix it up with another form of fitness to balance it out?

Many Thanks in advance

Zoe

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders as well. From what I've read, as women, we don't have enough hormones to make us bulk up like guys, so I wouldn't worry about it. There's also the matter of time, nobody bulks up in 30 days.

Good job on the 30ds. I'm on day 12 and still alive as well!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I've got broad shoulders. Had 'em since I was a kid. Great for gymnastics and swimming, actually. I never had a problem with building upper body strength with those bad boys. Funny, I hated them for so long, and now I'm in love with how strong they are.

But, anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about building up a tremendous amount of bulk. That's pretty hard to do, especially with shoulders, and you'd have to be doing some pretty intense, shoulder-focused exercises to really get "manly" looking shoulders going on, especially if you weren't a big exerciser beforehand. I do a ton of shoulder exercises with resistance bands, planks, and pushups, and it actually helps to give me a bit of a slimmer look, because it's all toned up, and not just fatty. I find my shoulders look a lot worse when I don't focus on them, because they get slimmer with more muscle. If that makes sense.

If you don't want to focus on those exercises, though, just cut them out. But like I said, you really don't have to worry about getting bulky, because that takes a lot of time, and a lot of intense focus on those muscles. I've been working out and focusing on upper body for about 3 months, and they're only now starting to slim down, and that's with a lot of reps and band workouts. As a woman, you just don't have to worry about randomly building up bulk you don't want, promise.
  • fenix1976
    fenix1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thats just great! Phew! it's the first time this week that i've managed to do planks the normal way...So happy girl today, with the added bonus i wont look like he-man at the end!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with 30DS but if it's cardio based, I doubt that combined with Planks will cause you to increase muscle mass in your shoulders. I'm not making light of the work, do various planks myself, it's just not something that will support large mass gains. Strengthen... definitely.

The one thing I keep coming across on this site are women's concerns about bulking up from weights or resistance work. Understandably I see the concern, but you really have to eat big to get big, and I mean BIG. Keeping it simple, you almost eat double your daily caloric intake to add substantial mass.