pain after effort

Options
I'm 52, considered in good health. I bought my rower a month ago and I gradually increased the time and intensity I row. Few days ago I rowed a 5K in 30 minutes, moderate effort. No problem doing it. The day after I fell tight in my chest and I want to know how do you feel the day after of an unusual effort. As we get sore calves when we begin running, is it normal to have tight chest after rowing?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, considered in good health. I bought my rower a month ago and I gradually increased the time and intensity I row. Few days ago I rowed a 5K in 30 minutes, moderate effort. No problem doing it. The day after I fell tight in my chest and I want to know how do you feel the day after of an unusual effort. As we get sore calves when we begin running, is it normal to have tight chest after rowing?

I get concerned when I see somebody post chest tightness. Do you have any health issues that should limit the intensity in your exercise? Or is completely muscle tightness?
  • sl1mmy
    sl1mmy Posts: 185
    Options
    Thanks for reply JNick. Well, I'm not known for any heart related problem. But I can't say I feel it as a muscle pain. I felt like that a year ago after shoveling snow for 3 hours and it tooked me 3 weeks to get back to normal activity. I just dont feel like training with the pain cause it just getting worst. I will see what happens in the comming weeks. But I'm really not happy to stop training.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you tore a ligament between your ribs. I did this a couple months ago and it does feel like a chest pain. Or maybe you did something to the cartlidge. Rib injuries are quite common. I'd lay off it for a few days to see if it improves. Perhaps just do some light stretching.

I went to see an osteopath and after a week or two I was ok again.

Take care :flowerforyou:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My sister used to have chest tightness when she'd pull some cartilage in her chest. She used to get it often when we were younger, when she'd overwork herself.

No idea if that's your issue, but if it lasts a few days, I'd consider asking your doctor, just to shoot it by them.
  • sl1mmy
    sl1mmy Posts: 185
    Options
    Perhaps just do some light stretching.

Take care :flowerforyou:

Good idea ! thank's !
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reply JNick. Well, I'm not known for any heart related problem. But I can't say I feel it as a muscle pain. I felt like that a year ago after shoveling snow for 3 hours and it tooked me 3 weeks to get back to normal activity. I just dont feel like training with the pain cause it just getting worst. I will see what happens in the comming weeks. But I'm really not happy to stop training.

What was your color like after you had the issue shoveling? A few years back my dad was outside shoveling and he had to stop for the same reason you did and when he came in I was told he was looking a little purple in the face. Not long after he was given those little pills, nitro or something?, and then not long after that he was diagnosed with COPD. You should really see your doctor just as a precaution.