Drinking a gallon of water per day

Options
2»

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    yep, the more i drink the better i feel! i aim for 10-12 cups a day.
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm glad to see that I'm not just going crazy! I've been using the bathroom a lot lately though... Will that go away? haha

It does. :-) Also try drinking more evenly throughout the day and your body handles it better.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a huge surge in my energy since I've started drinking more water. I drink between 8-12 glasses a day. I have a lot more energy. Heck, I've cleaned nearly my entire house since starting more water. I'm sure some of that is just starting MFP and new found motivation, but i also think a lot of it comes from all the water. Someone said the other day that dehydration causes fatigue. I've always been a pretty lazy person, but now I'm totally not. I honestly believe I've lived most of my life dehydrated and therefore, fatigued. I looked into all of this the other day because I was so amazed by the increased energy like you are. I found a pretty interesting article and shared it on my MFP blog here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kimi131/view/drinking-water-and-weight-loss-113980
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I know it's important to drink a LOT of water but how do you guys get that much down? Are you constantly drinking? I always forget to drink.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    For the runners or those that are very heavy into exercise, please read this about water intake. It's unlikely, but yes, you can drink too much... And yes, it does happen.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

And I post this because I see a lot of people who think, "if this is good, then doing much more is better." And I don't want anyone to get sick.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I know it's important to drink a LOT of water but how do you guys get that much down? Are you constantly drinking? I always forget to drink.

It's really just a decision you have to make. I was like you just 2 weeks ago. I couldn't understand how anybody could POSSIBLY drink that much water in one day. But I knew that the only way I was going to do it was if I had cold bottled water in the frig. You have to do what works for you, but that's what worked for me. I bought a bunch of bottles which I keep in the frig - nice and cold, and refill constantly. Now I crave water. Even once I've hit my requirement for the day, I immediately want more water. Make the choice :) you won't regret it.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I find drinking a lot of water makes me feel uncomfortably full. Kinda discouraging.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've always been a heavy drinker of H2O. I'm almost constantly thirsty, it's crazy! When I'm staying at a friend's house, I feel bad for drinking up all their water, so I try to drink only when my friend is drinking... and I get dehydrated and suffer from constipation.

I'm not sure how much I drink on average, but it's at LEAST 14 cups (seven 16oz bottles), possibly as much as 1.5 gallon/ 25 cups. I don't drink a whole lot at once; I just sip throughout the day. FREQUENTLY. I know it's over 14 cups though; we have 5-gallon bottles delivered, and when we're out of those, I drank from 16oz bottles and I went through at least 7 in one day.
  • brittanydittman
    Options
    I LOVE WATER :o)
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    For the runners or those that are very heavy into exercise, please read this about water intake. It's unlikely, but yes, you can drink too much... And yes, it does happen.

And I post this because I see a lot of people who think, "if this is good, then doing much more is better." And I don't want anyone to get sick.

If you're a runner and you are out there active you should add a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of apple juice per quart of water. It has a great mix of electrolytes and will help prevent overhydration while working on proper hydration.

Always good to throw up a caution flag though.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I find drinking a lot of water makes me feel uncomfortably full. Kinda discouraging.

I keep a cold bottle in the fridge, and just sip from it through out the day. I've only been drinking water for 3 days now, but each day I've drank 4 20oz bottles w/o even trying. I can't sit there and consciously drink a glass at a time, otherwise I feel the same way. To save on the cost of bottled water, I bought a BRITA bottle with a filter inside. It only cost 8 bucks, the filter refills cost 7 and give you 20 gallons of water.
  • Laniitay1
    Laniitay1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Does anybody feel super bloated? I'm doin one gallon a day and I'm beginning to feel really bloated after my 2nd day.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I love water I get sloshy if I drink A LOT though I just drink when I am thirsty
  • LauraRose03
    LauraRose03 Posts: 140
    Options
    I started getting my 8+ glasses in about a year ago. I honestly can't say I've noticed a change in energy level, but the migraines I used to get completely went away!!!! That, to me, was amazing!!! I was clearly very dehydrated!!!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ive upped water but i still have no energy
  • sittingontopoftheworld
    Options
    I've started drinking 24 cups a day. In the past 4 days I've lost 3.5 pounds. Far up from my usual 1lb a week. I'll let you know if it continues.

24 cups?!? How large are these cups? Be careful that you don't get hyponatremia!

If you're a runner and you are out there active you should add a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of apple juice per quart of water. It has a great mix of electrolytes and will help prevent overhydration while working on proper hydration.

Always good to throw up a caution flag though.

You can still get hypervolemic hyponatremia, though. That's when sodium is at normal or slightly elevated levels and you also have too much water in your system.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've noticed increased alertness, decreased appetite, and a serious increase in flexibility since I made hitting the gallon mark a priority.
  • circles2
    circles2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    OMG...I guess starting tonite, I have to cave and drink water. I have such a block about this, but reading what everyone else has said, I am fighting against city hall. I just think between tea , flavored water, and diet coke....that would be enough. Ok, ok...I'll be back to report. Thanks