Advice on Diary and cheat days

Options
So my diary is viewable, I wouldn't mind suggestions but I am a very picky eater, so I might take everything to heart.

Tonight I am pretty sure it will be way over because of Father's day, hasn't been planned yet, but knowing my boyfriend's mom it will most likely happen. The only thing is that I feel like I am always over my calorie goal a little every day and some times a lot. The days in my diary that are blank were my old cheat days, but I want to start logging everything so I can see it and motivate me.

However I have mixed feelings about this whole thing:
Part of me says: Hey I am eating much better than I use, a month ago I'd gone out to eat sometimes half the week, and would eat and drink whatever I want.
The other half: Why aren't you like everyone else who is usually under there calorie goal? Why do I comb over my day to find little "exercises" that I can log so I don't feel as bad.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    I'm going to friend you - that'll help you feel better about yourself! I'm over most days, and it would be every day if I didn't do 10 minutes of jogging on the spot/walking around the block to get extra calories. I seem to be the only one in my friend group on here that really struggles staying under but everyone is super supportive and it's a big celebration when I do :) it's all about taking it at your own pace and recognising your own little triumphs.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I decided with me, what it came down to was deciding how committed I was to losing those 10-15 lbs and getting healthier and stronger. I didn't eat horribly (ok, too much candy!) but wasn't losing an ounce after a year at the gym. Once I joined mfp and realized it was simply too many calories in, I determined to eat what I loved to eat still, just in moderation. And in 2 months have lost 6.5 lbs which makes me motivated to keep on working hard at it. I do have days, like today (b/c of father's day picnic) that I eat over my calories and allow myself a splurge day like that every week or two, then right back on track. All comes down to what you really want and how hard you are willing to work to get it. And I have to add I also walk a few blocks or swing a few punches to eat more!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    One thing I see is your carbs are high and your protein is really low. You need to up your protein to 75-100 grams a day and lower your carbs to about 100-150. You need protein to build muscle and get rid of fat.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    So, here's what I saw... do NOT skip meals... big no-no. Make sure you're eating regular meals, it's better for your metabolism that way. Less high calorie high sodium processed foods (like chips and starbucks) and add more fresh fruits and veggies. Very filling for a lot fewer calories. Also, with as low as your target is, I'd say you could go in and manually adjust your target up to 1300... it's still plenty low enough for you to lose, but then if you're a little over you 1230 mfp set target, you won't feel so bad about it. Mfp set me at 1260, but I was constantly over (like you), so at the suggestion of one of my friends, I manually set it to 1350 and now I'm RARELY over, I don't have guilt about going over the 1260, and I've been dropping weight like mad. Plus, with what I saw you're RARELY over 100 cals over your limit, which is actually very GOOD... you're not doing bad, you just need more connfidence in yourself, and I think maybe upping the goal a little might help you out with that. Feel free to friend me, I'm a great cheerleader as long as you can handle the truth ;):)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should definitely feel good about eating better than you used to. That is progress!

It's best not to compare yourself with others... I wouldn't say that most folks are under their calorie targets each day, and even if they are, that really shouldn't matter one way or other to you.. you need to find what works best for your body and what your body responds to.

If you are over only a little each day, most days, then it sounds like you can make just make some minor changes and get into a rythm (smaller portions, eat an open faced sandwich with one piece of bread instead of two, more veggies than meat/protein on your plate, etc.).

Regarding the days you are over alot, we all have them and we simply get back on the saddle the next day. I would recommend logging everything even on the days you go over by alot. There is something to be said about being mindful about what we are consuming. Also, when you really realize how many calories are in the "bad" foods or in the portions that we eat on our binge days, it can be very sobering, and you may think twice the next time those thoughts and urges present themselves.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So, here's what I saw... do NOT skip meals... big no-no. Make sure you're eating regular meals, it's better for your metabolism that way. Less high calorie high sodium processed foods (like chips and starbucks) and add more fresh fruits and veggies. Very filling for a lot fewer calories. Also, with as low as your target is, I'd say you could go in and manually adjust your target up to 1300... it's still plenty low enough for you to lose, but then if you're a little over you 1230 mfp set target, you won't feel so bad about it. Mfp set me at 1260, but I was constantly over (like you), so at the suggestion of one of my friends, I manually set it to 1350 and now I'm RARELY over, I don't have guilt about going over the 1260, and I've been dropping weight like mad. Plus, with what I saw you're RARELY over 100 cals over your limit, which is actually very GOOD... you're not doing bad, you just need more connfidence in yourself, and I think maybe upping the goal a little might help you out with that. Feel free to friend me, I'm a great cheerleader as long as you can handle the truth ;):)

thanks, skwilson, I am still trying to get more protein, but carbs are killer!

starbucks is my SUPER weakness, I am trying to cut down on that a lot. I never thought of moving it up a little. I would feel better at the end of the day not seeing a negative in red. I'm going to go see where I can set that up for myself.

How many cheat days do you guys usually have? once a week? Because that is what seems to keep happening to me. But I am only a month into it. It's hard for me to say no when I have people paying for me or when I go out with people. It feels like a party so I eat like it's a party, if that makes sense. I work two jobs so when I get to go out with people it's nice.
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well, I recommend logging every day. I still log my over days. Check out my Friday June 10th diary. It holds me accountable for those days. If I go up, I vent to my MFP friends and they give me support to just start new the next day.

Now, the lil over calorie days...Im a picky eater, like you but if I wanna lose this weight I needed to make some adjustments. I see you are still eating alot of the foods ie popcorn, chocolate, that are probably what got you into the position now where you are wanting to change your life. Its all about portion control. You can still eat all that, you just need to make the portions smaller. Get the 100 calorie bags of popcorn. When you go to a restuarant, as soon as you get your food, put half into a to-go box. That will help control eating the whole thing.

Now to help with your calories, pre plan your day. Get it all set when you get up and stick to it. I work nights, so I eat all my meals at night. I have to plan it all before I leave the house. Then, that is all that I bring. I might have an extra snack just in case, but I stick to my plan. Just a few ideas...

Good Luck

Jessica
  • coolsmartygirl
    Options
    Yikes on June 10th, I know I've had one of those already. As for earlier, I can't find where to manually change my calories.

I usually pre plan a little for my day at work, bringing snacks for that day and lunch etc. I am going to try work harder.
  • SheilaSisco
    Options
    Well, I recommend logging every day. I still log my over days. Check out my Friday June 10th diary. It holds me accountable for those days. If I go up, I vent to my MFP friends and they give me support to just start new the next day.

Now, the lil over calorie days...Im a picky eater, like you but if I wanna lose this weight I needed to make some adjustments. I see you are still eating alot of the foods ie popcorn, chocolate, that are probably what got you into the position now where you are wanting to change your life. Its all about portion control. You can still eat all that, you just need to make the portions smaller. Get the 100 calorie bags of popcorn. When you go to a restuarant, as soon as you get your food, put half into a to-go box. That will help control eating the whole thing.

Now to help with your calories, pre plan your day. Get it all set when you get up and stick to it. I work nights, so I eat all my meals at night. I have to plan it all before I leave the house. Then, that is all that I bring. I might have an extra snack just in case, but I stick to my plan. Just a few ideas...

Good Luck

Jessica

Yeah, Jessica caught something I forgot to mention! lol The popcorn.... 100 calorie packs are GREAT for that. I'm also a chocoholic, so I but the 'snack size' packages of candy bars and then only eat one (or two) at a time. It curbs the cravings and doesn't kill the calories. Also, the pre-planning is a GREAT idea... I do that too. I'll plan out several days in advance sometimes so I know what I'm eating and when. It makes it easier when I have a plan to stick to. Everyone is different and it may not work as well for you, but it's worth a shot :)
  • SheilaSisco
    Options
    Yikes on June 10th, I know I've had one of those already. As for earlier, I can't find where to manually change my calories.

I usually pre plan a little for my day at work, bringing snacks for that day and lunch etc. I am going to try work harder.
    [/quote

Go to Home-->Goals-->Change Goals--> Custom/continue... you can change it there.
  • coolsmartygirl
    Options

Good Luck

Jessica

Yeah, Jessica caught something I forgot to mention! lol The popcorn.... 100 calorie packs are GREAT for that. I'm also a chocoholic, so I but the 'snack size' packages of candy bars and then only eat one (or two) at a time. It curbs the cravings and doesn't kill the calories. Also, the pre-planning is a GREAT idea... I do that too. I'll plan out several days in advance sometimes so I know what I'm eating and when. It makes it easier when I have a plan to stick to. Everyone is different and it may not work as well for you, but it's worth a shot :)

The only problem: my favorite popcorn isn't in a snack size that I've seen. I LOVE homestyle popcorn from pop secret and I usually eat a bowl by myself and not with other's around me. It's like my go to thing and I use to tell myself how healthy it was compared to chips...
  • coolsmartygirl
    Options
    Anyway so I upped my work out goals because I for the most part work out for an hour to an hour and a half and upped my calories to 1300, thanks sheliamknott. Glad I made some new friends too!