Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I was wondering how these work. I am looking at getting one and am wondering how I use what it tells me to plug in as my calories burned.
Thank you!

Replies

• RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor will only work if you want to calculate your calories burned during working out.
    If you want to know how many calories you burn all throughout the day including working out you would need something like a bodybugg.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I got one about 6 weeks ago and like it a a lot. In my case, the HRM is always lower (and often WAY lower) than what MFP estimates. I just find a similar exercise in the database and adjust the time so that the calories burned come out to what the HRM says. Make sense?

Good for you for investing in one. It's about the only way to get a true reckoning of what YOU burn.
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    A heart rate monitor will only work if you want to calculate your calories burned during working out.
    If you want to know how many calories you burn all throughout the day including working out you would need something like a bodybugg.

That's what I'm hoping for. I just don't know if I can trust the calories burned that my elliptical gives me, and I don't want to eat to many calories back if it's not right.
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    I guess what I'm wondering is if I put the thing on before I get on the elliptical and then look at it after I'm done does it give me the calories I burned?
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Just make sure you get one with a chest strap, they are comfortable. You set it up for your weight, height, age, sex, maybe a couple of other things too. Wear it while you exercise and and it will give you your heart rate and let you know if you are in the zone. I love mine because I can do video's and weight workouts and be able to know what I am burning for exact calories.

I purchased the Polar FT4.... I love it!!! Seems to be the most popular. I do not recommend getting one without a chest strap. I paid 80 for mine at a local store.

You won't regret getting one. Good Luck!!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    The HRMs are great and yes they less in calories than MFP. You put in you age weight and gender and are very accurate
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well which one did you want? If you just want a heart rate monitor you can get one as cheap as these:

Pulse Heart Rate Monitor Calories Counter Watch Fitness

for $10 bucks on ebay. I have one of those an they work great.
    I hope to get a bodybugg (it's what they wear on biggest loser) in the future.

There are a couple of other calorie counter type things I've seen but don't know much about.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I got one about 6 weeks ago and like it a a lot. In my case, the HRM is always lower (and often WAY lower) than what MFP estimates. I just find a similar exercise in the database and adjust the time so that the calories burned come out to what the HRM says. Make sense?

Good for you for investing in one. It's about the only way to get a true reckoning of what YOU burn.

You can adjust the calories without changing the time too. I like to create my workouts too
  • sarahsmom1
    Options
    I guess what I'm wondering is if I put the thing on before I get on the elliptical and then look at it after I'm done does it give me the calories I burned?
    yes
  • sarahsmom1
    Options
    yes