Water weight with weight training

lees_loves_to_lift
lees_loves_to_lift Posts: 5 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else experience a weight gain after weight training?

For the first time in ages I woke up feeling a bit 'fluidy' - is it a coincidence it occurred the morning after doing some weight training?

Or is it just me?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    This happens to a great majority of people. It is very normal. Water rushes to muscles after tough use, a symptom of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). The water rush brings repairing nutrients so it is essential to help rebuild your muscle fibers after a tough workout. Continue your workout schedule and rest assured that the water weight will disappear anywhere between 2 days and 3 weeks (everyone is different). Continue drinking water and doing weight training you will see such awesome benefits!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Muscles will retain water after a good workout while they heal. I wouldn't worry about the weight gain. My guess is that will go away in a day or two.
  • MamaRevski
    MamaRevski Posts: 7 Member
    as soon as I satred adding strength to my workouts I gained. I heard someone on hear say that your body puts water around your muscles when you first start to help them heal, but as you get stronger and your muscles ae more trained it will decrease. plus the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns through out the day!
  • lees_loves_to_lift
    lees_loves_to_lift Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks ladies!

Whilst I knew the water weight can increase with weight training I just thought 1 kg overnight was a bit much! But if the body adapts to it then hopefully it won't retain so much too!

(Could also be the case of that time of the month returning, sorry TMI, after having baby #3 2 mths ago!)!
This discussion has been closed.