Self Sabotaging

Options
I'm new to MFP but not to weightloss.. about 2 years ago I lost 35lb over about 6 months, and have been losing and gaining the same 10lbs ever since... I finally decided it was time to take weight loss seriously again and have come to MFP. I've lost the 10lbs and am at my lowest weight-loss weight again.
Every time I reach this point I self sabotage and begin to put on weight again. I don't really know why it is, but something to do with it seeming impossible to lose anymore, getting fed up and just deciding f*** it, I'll eat what I want. I also start to get really obsessed with the numbers (calories and the scales) and start getting depressed about how hard it is.
I was determined this time to use MFP to stop my self sabotaging, but today I binged for no reason and now I feel horrible and disgusting and like I should just give up and accept that I'll be fat forever. But deep down, I really don't want this to turn into another setback and I really want to keep going.
Has anyone else ever been in this position where they constantly self sabotage and don't really understand why? Can anyone give me some insight into this, or some tips to help overcome it?

Replies

• justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You will get lots of advice and help on here! Yes you had a bad day but you can still make today good and you know what, I think that if you see this through to even losing another couple of lbs then you will get over that mind block you have about those 10lbs, you are not going to be fat forever, plenty of people on MFP have probably thought that but there are so many people on here who are just inspirational like you would not believe. Get on over to the success stories, keep looking and keep going and that will be you one day!! :) x
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I am a major self sabotager. I got 16 lbs down and didn't eat the best the past few days because family was in town. Yesterday, I had the chance to really fix it and all I wanted to do was binge. I gave in the last hours of the day and now I feel awful because I put on 6 lbs. Yes, I know its water weight and yes I know I should be able to shed all of it if I eat clean this week, but its like...I'm already this far down, might as well grab a donut.
  • luisabaeta
    luisabaeta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have the answer, but here's how I see it: I think it's hard convincing ourselves we don't have to be perfect all the time... But we don't. You don't. It's okay to binge sometimes, to eat bad because of family, or celebrations, or whatever. I think that the decision to lose weight and join MFP should be a decision for life — even after you reach your goal weight, you should keep some control so you don't gain it back. I think once I do reach my goal I will feel safer knowing that if I fall out and gain back a few pounds, I will see it happening before it's too late and I now KNOW i can lose it back, so I can do it right away. But my point is, if it's a lifestyle change and something you're doing to be healthier and happier and more confident for the rest of your life, you cannot possibly expect of yourself to act perfect for a lifetime. We are all entitled to some binging every now and then, as long as it's the exception, not the rule. The chart of your weight loss doesn't have to be a steady straight line downwards, there's bound to be some fluctuation, as long as the overall trend is going down. You are still on the right track, you're still doing great, just keep at it, and stop telling yourself "ok, that's it, this is the moment where i self sabotage and **** everything up. Oh, well, I had a good run, but it's over." It's not over. You're doing great! Keep at it! :)
  • capal2
    capal2 Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks for the ideas, I'll try to stay motivated :)
    And yes, I'm exactly the same... i always weigh myself immediately and feel even worse even though I know it's not 'real weight'. I guess I just get too caught up in it all in my head, and every little slip feels like the end of the world because I always struggle at this point. I just don't know how to change my thinking and move on.
  • joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you, after losing a decent amout of weight I just blow it and binge, but I think the key to binging is being able to get up the next day and say to yourself, ok, I went wrong, now lets get back on track and carry on. One binge doesnt mean your diet is over, it is just a little bump in the road....dont let it take away your motivation. I have days or weekends that I binge, but I try to get back on track as quick as possibe and slowly the weight is coming off. You'll get there xx
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    Try only weighing yourself once each week on the same day at the same time AND take your measurements once per month. This way you're not watching your ups and downs but your real results. I find it much more motivating and the night before my weigh in I eat less heavy things to make sure I'm not retaining water or bulky food.

This helps me to stay motivated because I don't get discouraged by the flux of numbers - also then you are taking it one week at a time and each day at a time. It's good to do it in chunks. It doesn't feel like a forever and far away goal but just a weekly goal.

You can do it!!!

ps. and yes I definitely echo everyone's sentiments on here. When you binge - okay - tomorrow is a new day. Start again. It doesn't matter how many times you start again...just don't quit.