DISCOURAGED- Advice needed

Options
:sad: :sad: Ugg. I'm feeling a little discouraged right about now. I am killing myself with doing Insanity 6 days a week and walking 7 days. I have found my weight has increased. I eat healthy, no soda, very little sugar(s) of any kind, good carbs and very low sodium. I just wanna eat all the chocolate that I can find. I am eating all of my calories with about 20-30 to spare. So fustrated. I want to do this without any pills but it looks like I am going to break down and get some. ***SIGH*** I do notice that my measurements are better in my thighs but that's about it. Sorry if I seem so negative but it seems as if I am never going to conquer this beast called my weight! I need some advice on what you all think I should do! :ohwell:

Replies

• smallfeet
    smallfeet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you gain weight before you lose it, especially if you are doing exercise. You may be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat but actually takes up less space? Also it could be the number of calories you are eating to lose weight? Because recommended calories for weight loss don't always work. some people may need fewer while other can get away with eating more...? Hope that helps a little =/ x
  • mecasgirl
    mecasgirl Posts: 64
    Options
    Thanks so much! I guess I will have to adjust my caloric intake AGAIN to see what works for me.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling - I love chocolate - but years ago switched to very dark chocolate (85 % cocoa). Now, every day, I have one square of dark chocolate after dinner - this has cured any cravings I have for chocolate, not sure why but it has. I do have it every day, that may be why this works, I never feel deprived, I savour the one square and it's only about 50 calories.

I think by eating the best in chocolate, i am filling a need somewhere.

Sometimes I have one butterscotch candy and let the chocolate melt around it. Good news, I rarely crave sweets now.

Good luck!
  • Lithlyrian
    Options
    spend $30 on an Omron body fat analyzer. Muscle weighs more than fat - the scale is not the judge, your body fat loss and the way your clothes fit are :)

Best luck!!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it? I found when I first started serious exercise that I didn't lose anything for three weeks. It was pretty discouraging at the time, but I got through it and then the pounds started to come off.

Also, when you say that you're meeting your calorie goal, does that include eating back exercise calories? If it does, you might try just eating back half of them, and you might also think about investing in a HRM, if you don't already have one, to make sure that the calorie burn you're recording is fairly accurate. MFPs listed calorie burns for most activities are way higher than what I actually burn doing those activities.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I was feeling this way too, not seeing much difference in the scale so I started tracking my measurements. Maybe you should do the same if you are noticing a difference in the way your clothes are fitting. Something is working! Don't give up and be careful with the pills. Some of them are just no good.
  • gmonie120
    gmonie120 Posts: 23
    Options
    Keep your head up. I know how you feel. But you can do it. Everyday is new day. If you fall just get back up. Drink plenty of water and vegetables.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I can sympathise with you,I find much the same thing,,I wouldnt be working anywhere near as hard as what you are,but I am trying,at times I feel like my scales are broken and stuck on the same figure,I dont eat sweets or have soft drinks I only consume alcohol in strict moderation,I dont eat bread,I eat good carbs and yet it dosnt seem to be working.
    Ive just started swimming,I cant do intensive workouts because of a disc problem even walking on a threadmill can screw me up for months,so swimming is my safest bet,possibly not the greatest for weightloss but at least should be good from health view!
    However,I feel well myself,my skin is good,Im more relaxed,so at least I feel there are positive benefits! keep up your good work
  • mecasgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just returned from the Dr's and my BMI is down (way down) from where I started. I am losing inches and she said to keep it up. Inches are more important than pounds. I have not eaten any chocolate though I really would love a big bag of m&m's. But I know I am being overly dramatic. It is great to know that I am not the only one like this. Your support is very important and the motivation you all give helps me out so much! You all ROCK. I couldn't do it without you. I guess I should be looking at where I started 236 pounds size 18/20 a year ago and now I am down to 172 size 10/12. I'm happy with those results. I see the size 8 around the corner and I know that I can do it. I guess that I was having a bad morning. All is well now and I am actually looking forward to my evening walk! Thanks again all. I really appreciate it.
  • Jazzart
    Jazzart Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here's something that I wrote the might shed a different light on your situation

It's Been 30 Day's and how much have I lost??? WHO CARES!!!!!! This site is Soooooo much more that being about losing weight, that it's impossible to just think about that when you're on here, I have made wonderful friends that encourage me to do better with each waking day both spiritually and physically, there's so much "real" current advise from all of the members here, much more that any book or quick diet fad could ever provide you with, I feel sooooooooooo much better since I have joined this site, words cannot explain, but I'm going to try anyway. There is no way that you could get better results no matter what expensive gym you joined, here you have your friends riding the health and fitness wave along with you celebrating your successes and picking you up when you slip or stumble along the way, so How much weight have I lost? once again, WHO CARES!!! My Dr say's my blood pressure is own, my clothes fit better, My Cholesterol is down, My weight is down, but my attitude is through the roof!!!! I'm looking forward to the next thirty days!!!! and Much More Continued Success as WE travel down this Health and Fitness Road Together!!!! Friend me if you would like to come along for the ride.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just returned from the Dr's and my BMI is down (way down) from where I started. I am losing inches and she said to keep it up. Inches are more important than pounds. I have not eaten any chocolate though I really would love a big bag of m&m's. But I know I am being overly dramatic. It is great to know that I am not the only one like this. Your support is very important and the motivation you all give helps me out so much! You all ROCK. I couldn't do it without you. I guess I should be looking at where I started 236 pounds size 18/20 a year ago and now I am down to 172 size 10/12. I'm happy with those results. I see the size 8 around the corner and I know that I can do it. I guess that I was having a bad morning. All is well now and I am actually looking forward to my evening walk! Thanks again all. I really appreciate it.

You are making progress, the goal is not to be miserable. Have some chocolate, just have it in moderation. You are trying to change your life not punish yourself. Don't have massive amounts but be realistic. I could never give pizza up entirely I work on do healthier pizza (as much as that is possible) and only eating the amount of it my calories allow. Take a breath.
  • mecasgirl
    Options
    Here's something that I wrote the might shed a different light on your situation

It's Been 30 Day's and how much have I lost??? WHO CARES!!!!!! This site is Soooooo much more that being about losing weight, that it's impossible to just think about that when you're on here, I have made wonderful friends that encourage me to do better with each waking day both spiritually and physically, there's so much "real" current advise from all of the members here, much more that any book or quick diet fad could ever provide you with, I feel sooooooooooo much better since I have joined this site, words cannot explain, but I'm going to try anyway. There is no way that you could get better results no matter what expensive gym you joined, here you have your friends riding the health and fitness wave along with you celebrating your successes and picking you up when you slip or stumble along the way, so How much weight have I lost? once again, WHO CARES!!! My Dr say's my blood pressure is own, my clothes fit better, My Cholesterol is down, My weight is down, but my attitude is through the roof!!!! I'm looking forward to the next thirty days!!!! and Much More Continued Success as WE travel down this Health and Fitness Road Together!!!! Friend me if you would like to come along for the ride.

Awesome. I will check it out when I get back from my evening walk! I really appreaciate it!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're having some really good NSVs (non-scale victories)!!! That's great!!! Your diary is not public so I couldn't see it. It would be nice to be able to look and give advice from that perspective. You may be getting not enough or too many calories per day. Also, the thing that was killing me when I was experieincing a similar situation was SODIUM. Once an MFP friend pointed it out, I began to pay more attention and was appalled at the amount of sodium I was eating on a daily basis. Now I watch that more closely and strive to stay below the 2500 mg limit per day. I noticed an immediate difference when I cut back on the sodium. After just a few weeks, I could tell when foods were too salty. No more water retention. Lower BP. Happy me!!!