I need help re-motivating myself!!!

Options
Well, i've slipped away from this website, slowly but surely. It started two weeks ago when i got rear ended and had my car totaled. That started the ball rolling with being too busy to go to the gym, staying at the house of whoever could give me a ride to work, car shopping, being sick, etc. Now, i have my new car, i'm no longer sick, yet i can't seem to get back on track. I've gained back 2-3 pounds (bleh), which i KNOW i could shake back off easily, if i just try. I have a 5k coming up this weekend at our local zoo, which i know will be really fun!...but i haven't ran since my last 5k almost a month ago and for some reason i'm terrified to try starting back up again. I got up extra early this morning so i could run before it got hot...but sat watching television and logging on here instead. How do you motivate yourself? I need tips and lots of help!!!

Replies

• rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    So sorry for all that you went through recently! I'm glad you are okay and have a new car, though--that part sounds pretty good! I guess you know what you need to do to get back in the game. Good luck!
  • easha55
    easha55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Imagine youself being your ideal weight and think of all the clothes you dont fit into anymore... and think of healthier people having fun. You will surely want to get back on track with fitness. All the best!!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    On biggest looser one of the contestants said,"Finish what you have started". I wrote this on my dry erease board in huge writing so I see it several times a day. I have been in maintenance/ plateau for two months and still have at least ten pouns to loose maybe more I see once I loose the ten pounds.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    so hard isent it?!for me its about the way i feel I know if I dont do it my body and mind feel like ick and when i do ,no matter how much or little i workout i feel so much better.on days the motivation escapes me,I say ok 15 minutes is all i got and all i'll give for today and more often than not i get to that 15 min and low and behold i have the motivation to keep going.:bigsmile:
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i was doing so good before...eating right...running daily...it was really hard to start the first time, but this time seems even harder, lol...
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    so sorry to hear about your difficult streak. i found when i first started here about 2 months ago that actually starting is tha hardest part. taking that first step out to run or dusting off the treadmill is the absolute hardest. once i am in a routine i am fine. it's starting that is soooo hard!! take one step at a time to the door then try just a walk around the block. once you get your juices flowing again you will probaly slide right into you old GOOD habits.....just take 1 step at a time.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    so hard isent it?!for me its about the way i feel I know if I dont do it my body and mind feel like ick and when i do ,no matter how much or little i workout i feel so much better.on days the motivation escapes me,I say ok 15 minutes is all i got and all i'll give for today and more often than not i get to that 15 min and low and behold i have the motivation to keep going.:bigsmile:

DITTO!!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I motivate myself by looking at some pictures....old ones where I was thinner and recent ones of a heavier me....get the picture? Good luck on your 5k this weekend!!
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This may not be a good or healthy solution for your wallet, but I like to buy new workout clothes. The workout clothes give me new incentive to go to the gym. Also, making a new workout playlist provide some motivation. I've also purchased new fitness or healthy eating books/magazines. Once you start up again the motivation will be there...its just getting through that first workout. Good luck!
  • iggyscott
    iggyscott Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    put your running gear on if you havent already and go for a slow walk. and you will be surprized how quick it will turn in to a run. WHen I know i should go for a ride on my bike and cant get motivated I head out for a ride around the block and an hour later im still riding . just like everything it is the first step that is the hardest. Put your NIKES on an JUST DO IT...
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I get on here and see that my workout buddies have already worked out for the day. Then I tell them I'm not feeling it and one of them tells me to get my tush moving. I always feel better after I do.

I'm sorry you've had a rough time. Now get your tush moving so you'll feel better!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Just try to remember how good you feel when you are on track and exercising... that feeling after you get after you finish a run. I had a bad eating weekend and I felt like a total fat slug last night; could hardly keep my eyes open while sitting on the couch watching tv. And my stomach was all bloated from the sodium and simple carbs that I ate. It felt like I had gained back all the weight that I worked so hard to lose over this last year! That totally motivates me to NOT do that again!
  • aisha1150
    aisha1150 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just want to start walking everyday for atleast half an hr i have developed knee pain and lower back pain already because of all the weight :((( !! but iam gonna try my level best to get in shape !
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You can get motivated I bet once you workout for a couple of days you will get yourself right back on track!! Don't disappoint yourself keep going you are doing wonderful and you know that you can keep going!! I want to see 4 workouts this week of at least 30 minutes each on your exercise calender!! I want to see it!!
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If it's only been a month since you've run (and you're not hurt from the accident) the best advice I can give is....JUST DO IT! Even if it's just a short 1 mile run, getting back out there will boost your confidence and remind you of why you love to run!

I've had lapses in my running (for no good reason other then I was just being lazy). I've even gone so far as to get dressed but once I stepped outside I thought to myself...."nope, not today." For me, running is one of those thing I love to do. When I run, it makes me want to run again. I keep at it cause I don't want to loose my progress. But when it's been awhile and I feel like I have nothing to loose I could really do without it . I've come up with all kinds of excuses as to why I should not run today. The only way to get it back is to just force myself to get out there and run, which then reminds me of how much I love it and how GOOD I feel when I run. That's what helps me get back on track.

So.... Just Do IT!!! You Got this : D
  • aisha1150
    aisha1150 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks girls i did a 30 min walk yest!
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Just think of that small break as rest (I am glad to hear things are looking up for you). My hardest obstical is getting to the gym and getting on a machine. Once you're there, it just comes and you feel more energized. Good luck!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your car! I'm glad you're ok. You took the first step today! You realized you were slipping...but you have caught yourself! Early! It is hard...sometimes you have to just force yourself that first time...you will feel good afterwards and then get the mojo back. Or I'll put on pants that feel snug and it bothers me enough to keep going. Go RIGHT NOW and put on your gym clothes. NOW!!!!! GOOOOOO!! LOL! You will be half way there already. It may be too hot now, so maybe go for a walk tonight after it cools. Get a couple pics of you before your journey. You CAN do this!! :-)