Stress Fracture

Options
Hey runners out there: About six years ago I broke my tibia and fibula (compound fractures, through the skin, messy break) Well I have been running for almost a year now and love it, but have been in intesne pain for about a week now at the site of my break. Found out why this morning- I have a stress fracture near the old fracture and have to lay off for a while :frown: . I'm going to start swimming laps (my school has an indoor pool :happy: ) until I can really run again- but I was wondering how many of you have delt with this before. How can I prevent it from happening again, and when I do start back in a few weeks can I go straight back to 3.5 miles like I was doing or should I start with less and build back up?

Replies

• meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Hey runners out there: About six years ago I broke my tibia and fibula (compound fractures, through the skin, messy break) Well I have been running for almost a year now and love it, but have been in intesne pain for about a week now at the site of my break. Found out why this morning- I have a stress fracture near the old fracture and have to lay off for a while :frown: . I'm going to start swimming laps (my school has an indoor pool :happy: ) until I can really run again- but I was wondering how many of you have delt with this before. How can I prevent it from happening again, and when I do start back in a few weeks can I go straight back to 3.5 miles like I was doing or should I start with less and build back up?
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i am also a runner with old lady aches and pains.....the only advice that i can offer is to listen to your body!!! you don't have to wear your super women cape 24/7!!