Making Strides against Breast Cancer

Options
http://main.acsevents.org/goto/takingittothestreet.

Hello Everyone!
I'll be walking the 5 miles on Sunday, Oct. 12 in Cincinnati as part of the national campaign for the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. I am the captain of our team, Taking It To The Street!
At work, we make the mobile mammography units so this is a great opportunity to 'bring it home' to what we do. We have a goal to raise $2000, which I'm really behind in for my share. I thought if I provided everyone with an easy way to make a donation online, I'll be sure to make it worth your while. Throughout my walk, I will clearly say outloud, with each step, the name of either the donor or a loved one who has suffered &/or survived breast cancer! I'll even wear a silly hat or something in honor of names provided (suggestions?) I do have a pink shirt (team sponsored), but I'm open to any suggestions as long as a donation is made! See above web site to donate directly to the team.

THANK YOU! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Hello Everyone!
    I'll be walking the 5 miles on Sunday, Oct. 12 in Cincinnati as part of the national campaign for the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. I am the captain of our team, Taking It To The Street!
    At work, we make the mobile mammography units so this is a great opportunity to 'bring it home' to what we do. We have a goal to raise $2000, which I'm really behind in for my share. I thought if I provided everyone with an easy way to make a donation online, I'll be sure to make it worth your while. Throughout my walk, I will clearly say outloud, with each step, the name of either the donor or a loved one who has suffered &/or survived breast cancer! I'll even wear a silly hat or something in honor of names provided (suggestions?) I do have a pink shirt (team sponsored), but I'm open to any suggestions as long as a donation is made! See above web site to donate directly to the team.

• Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Good for you I hope you make your goal. My mom was diagnosed last November:cry: She all done with treatment for now, and is feeling much better. We did Relay for Life earlier this year.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Hello Everyone!

My thoughts on this type of post and only MY thoughts..:happy: ....but this sort of post makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.:huh: There are many folks that would love to raise money for causes and where better but in a group setting. That being said...this somehow doesn't feel appropriate to ask for money here. Yes, I know donations but .....

Seems a great place for links to be posted is our own profile page, where many Beach Body Coaches & others keep their info/links for others to check out.

I'm all for raising money for Breast Cancer awareness as I do have a number of folks that were lost to it....and yes I go on the Susan B. Komen walks each year and donate etc. etc.

But if this site begins to gather a lot of folks wanting to raise money for all sorts of varous causes or doing it competitively....it seems it might be headed for a bit of an issue in who can post about it and who can't.

Only been a member a month...and probably I should re-read the rules again myself in case I'm way off base...

But....really this is my thoughts on the matter not a represntation of MFP as a whole..

I think it's awesome you're trying to raise money for a great cause...but...just an uncomfortable post to me is all.....:noway:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it can be to raise money in this economy - good luck.

I am a 2 year breast cancer survivor!
  • Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just re-read the forum rules and since this is not for personal monetary gain, it is acceptable to post a request for donations to a fund raising event.
    Just want everyone to know I'm following the rules! :smile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Raising money can be such a tricky thing sometimes from a "propriety" standpoint-- I have a daughter with Juvenile Diabetes and years ago we were doing their annual Walk for a Cure, and I sent out letters and e-mails to all of my personal contacts seeking sponsorship, and then went through my husband's e-mail address book selecting names and addresses of folks I knew he had more of a "personal" relationship with in his industry. I didn't think it was such a big deal-- great cause, and all that jazz.-- sick kid, blah, blah, blah.

Oh, my-- did I catch holy "you know what" from him when he found out it, about the inappropriateness of asking for money for a "personal" reason from his business associates, not to mention doing any of this without his consent or prior knowledge-- they were, after all, HIS contacts.

To this day I still hear about it-- :embarassed:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I just re-read the forum rules and since this is not for personal monetary gain, it is acceptable to post a request for donations to a fund raising event.
    Just want everyone to know I'm following the rules! :smile:

:flowerforyou: Please understand I'm not trying to undermine your post.....honest it's not that at all. That was never my intention. I'm not like that.... I wish you well, I was merely expressing MY OWN opionion....as anyone on here can in most topics:drinker:

But it's finally calming down here again and ....whew....I just would hate to have any drama start up again....it really distracts from the purpose of this site.... a fitness community about fitness, healthy, motivation, inpiration and tips and tricks on how to get healthy:happy:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Good on you Glammy! Hope you have the weather for it, and that you raise as mnay $$ and also awareness as possible! This is certainly a worthy 'cause! Hugz!