How do you maintain motivation and discipline?

Options
I have been fighting the weight, body image, and health battle since I was in elementary school. For the last sevearl years I have yo-yo'd within 30-40 lbs, but I always end up putting it back on and then feeling even worse about myself. This time last year I was 20lbs lighter and felt that I was finally making the progress and choices to succeed.

Then I went on vacation and loosened my restrictions. That was fine but when I got back I just couldn't get back on track. They year before I had gone on a cruise and only gained 2 lbs due to still being disciplined. But last year I just didn't stay on it and I have been fighting ever since.

HOW do you stay disciplined. I know that there are always going to be slips, and I tell myself that as long as I jump right back on it's ok- but right now I don't even want to put my foot in the stirrup. I am so ashamed at the wasted time and damage to my physical well-being, and I am frustrated for not being stronger.

Advice? Help?

Replies

• sfphill
    sfphill Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not sure how to either! I struggle constantly wanting to return to my old lifestyle of fattening foods and desserts. Just wanted to post to let you know you are not alone in the frustration and I hope we can both try to be more disciplined and loving our new eating lifestyle!

:flowerforyou:
    Sara
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    2 things will keep you going!!!

1.routine...
    2.exersice..
    trust me it works...rountine of good eating and exersice you can not go wrong
  • AandJsMommy
    AandJsMommy Posts: 314
    Options
    I look at my before pics and that is enough to keep me motivated and disiplined.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I try to stay on track for my daughter. I have some health issues, so doing the right thing by myself is VERY important. I need to be there for her, to be able to look after her. Not spend the days curled up on the couch.

Try to look at the bigger picture. I spent years thinking, there's always tomorrow. Well, tomorrow came and slammed me between the eyes.

Google things like heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other weight related issues. Then imagine yourself living with, or dying from them. Imagine the cost of the medications, doctor visits, hospital stays. I'm not trying to frighten you, but those things are a reality.

You look so beautiful in your profile pic. I think you deserve to live a beautiful life and you should too. :smile:
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Slips will happen it is how you recovery that will lead you down the path to continue your healthier lifestyle and living. Plus you need tons of support and motivation to get you through the rough days and proper guidance on fitness and nutrition tips...motivation and strong will!
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you! I have had the same problem over the past 4 years. Before then I never really tried to diet, even though I was steadily gaining weight. Over the past 4 years I have struggled, lost, gained, lost and gained even more weight!

I don't know why this time is different for me, but I really think it's going to be. I have set my mind to do this for me and no one else. I have joined a gym and that is a huge thing for me because I've never joined a gym before! I think for me it's finally a personal decision that I'm ready to make happen. I think it's a mindset thing...and when I have those days when I want to say screw it and eat all the chocolate I can find, I stop and ask myself..."What is this going to do to the scale tomorrow?" I'm a daily weigher which keeps me accountable to myself. I HATE to see that scale go up so I do everything in my power to make sure it doesn't. This doesn't work for everyone, but you have to find what works for you.

Stay on the boards, chat with people, keep accountable to others, join a challenge on the boards, this all helps in keeping you going!
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    the main thing that keeps me motivated is knowing that 'screwing up' one day, one week...even a year....will not make or break me. We are human and there will be times that we will mess up. Because these days are bound to happen, we cant just throw in the towel and leave the journey. We have to persevere and strive for our goal no matter what. I know where I want to be, so I have to stay on track to get there!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've had this issues for the past 6 or 7 years or so. I was chubby in highschool but when I got into college I moved in with my dad who is diabetic so between no sugar and walking his dogs every day and actually watching what I was eating because I wanted to start dating I got down to about 165ish.

Then I met my boyfriend and got comfortable and got up to my heaviest all time weight. Over the past three years I lost about 50 pounds. It took so long because I kept hitting plateaus and instead of learning what I was doing wrong I'd just give up.

I also found that my expectations were WAY too high. I was expecting to lose 3 - 4 pounds a week which was fine when I was 220 pounds but by the time I got down to 160ish that's just not realistic anymore.

So what I've done to keep myself from getting my expectations to high is started to keep a deficit diary.

I wrote a blog explaining a bit how I do this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Ziaki/view/my-calorie-deficit-log-114891

It's not spot on accurate of course. BUT I can't get frustrated about only losing a pound or less than a pound when the explanation of why is right there in plain print.

So far this has worked and if it's every off then I'm at a point where I'm fairly confident I can figure out why. For example this week I started my ToM so my prediction loss and my actual loss are probably not going to be close because I'll probably still be bloated when I weigh in.

It's just a suggestion. For me it's super motivating to look at my log and see almost exactly what I need to do to get the results I want.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    A lot of things keep me motivated. Criticism, goals, etc. Like when I started, my big motivation was getting in shape to go into Law Enforcement. My motivation continued when someone called me “fat” after losing over 60 pounds. I suppose you’ll have to find your own motivation to see your weight-loss to the end. I’ve tried losing weight many times, but it does take a certain amount of motivation to cling to the dream.

Being disciplined is not very different. Sometimes you do slip. I’ve done it several times before -- and I’ll continue to mess up by eating too much, or not even the right things…BUT, the important thing is getting back on the bandwagon.