30 Day Shred - Weights Needed?

Options
Are hand weights a must for the 30DS? I want to start the program but I don't own hand weights. If they are a must, how many pounds should I get?

Replies

• LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you're not much of a weight lifter, I would recommend start without them or just use cans of soup. Then work your way up. The most you should start with if you're not used to it is 2lbs, then 5 then 8 MAX.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can probably start without them. They just add a bit of resistance. But, if you're meaty like me, I get enough resistance lifting the hamhocks on the back of my arms! LOL

Seriously though, if you buy weights, I'd start out light - Maybe 3-5 pounds max. The first few days will KICK YOUR AZZ. I literally cried after I finished the first day. After you get used to it, you can up them if you want.
  • talonlily
    talonlily Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yup, weights are the only thing you need. I have 3 lbs ones that I use for now and 5 lbs-ers for when I get used to that weight and need to upgrade. If you don't have any you can use full water bottles as weights instead.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used soup cans the first day, then went out and got 3 lb weights and those are perfect. I am going to get some 5 lbs for some of the exercises like the bicep curls, I think I can handle that.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My 5 lb weights were too much for me so i use the ankle weights that i have and just hold them lol, their about 2.5 lbs each
  • KarieRod
    KarieRod Posts: 15
    Options
    I am doing the shred now (day 4), I used 5 lbs the first day then decided to not do that again for awhile, lol. I used 2 bottles of water, you'll be drinking them anyways. Good luck to you!
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I used 3lbs weights, but just switched to 5lbs but I am toward the end of Level 1. About 5 years ago when I had recently had a baby I was doing walk away the pounds and they use weights too but I didn't have any. I ended up using Hunts pasta sauce cans and that seemed to work fairly well.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I started out with 1.5 weights and THOSE still get heavy once in a while! I use 3 pound weights for some of the moves but not all.