How do others motivate themselves for early workouts?

2»

Replies

• HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    The first few weeks are the hardest! But once you get used to the up early part, you can enjoy the fact that you have already accomplished your exercise and no matter what happens in the day, you have those available calories in your bank.

I have found that it has helped with the afternoon sleepy feeling, it's not nearly so bad on days when I have gotten up and done my thing. I am happy for the rest of the day once I am done with my morning run!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    pretty much what everyone has been saying:
    just do it!

i set my alarm for 5:15 mon-fri and its part of my routine. <snooze is NOT an option!>
    even if i'm exhausted to the core once i start working out i forget all about it.
    its a great feeling.

as a side note, on weekends i am so much more sluggish in the mornings because i dont get that 'first thing in the morning' workout....
  • sassycurlzss
    sassycurlzss Posts: 47 Member
    I'm NOT a morning person!! I set my alarm 30 min earlier then I want to get up! So I can get up lol! It's true if you get it done in the morning then you don't have to worrie about it later and you can eat correctly for the day and not have to cram in good to meet your goal. Still I can't do it everyday. ;)
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    These are some great suggestions! I too like to work out in the morning, i love having the workout out of the way before breakfast (or shortly after) but I am SO not a morning person. I know a lot of it has to do with the time I go to bed though. I've always been a nightowl, and trying to break that pattern is hard. I'll have to make a solid effort into going to bed earlier so I can get up and get that workout done early. It's true that when you do, you feel better and have good energy for the day - and what better way to start than to have your body burning calories from hour one?
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    I get up at 5:45am and walk 2 miles. I go to work from 8a - 1:30pm, come home to my 2 kids & 2 kids we babysit, my husband leaves for work at 2:15pm and gets home from work at 11:30pm.

I'm not a morning person but it's the only time that my husband is home with the kids so I can go.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Same here. If I wait to "work it in later" sometimes there's never time. Plus since it's summer my kids will watch me, which weirds me out, and /or comment on how I'm doing compared to the people on the DVD. They even know some of the names form when I did P90X. :-)

During the school year, I'm a teacher, I have to get up at about 4 so I've got time to wake up, grab a quick protein shake, and drink some water. If I get up any later then I'm rushing to get ready and then the kids have to rush and we most likely will be late to school...which I HATE.

I like getting my metabolism revved up at the beginning of the day, too. Then I don't have to worry about what I'm eating and how hard I have to work to burn it off. I know exactly how many calories I can have at each meal. Since I live in South Texas it gets pretty hot in the summertime and I'd rather workout when it's a little bit cooler. We don't have central heat/ac, so during the winter I'd start working out with warm jammies, at least two t-shirts, several pairs of socks, a sweatshirt, gloves, my bathrobe and sometimes a hat! Then I'd gradually shed layers as I got warmed up.

I think you HAVE to be dedicated and have your head in the right place. I know that I will never get the results I want if I don't put in the effort on a consistent basis. Plus at this point, 170 days of exercising, I love the feeling. In one of my Turbo Fire workouts Chalene says that you get addicted to intense exercising and the endorphin high you get when you're finished. "We're here to support you in your new addiction!"
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Same here. If I wait to "work it in later" sometimes there's never time. Plus since it's summer my kids will watch me, which weirds me out, and /or comment on how I'm doing compared to the people on the DVD. They even know some of the names form when I did P90X. :-)

During the school year, I'm a teacher, I have to get up at about 4 so I've got time to wake up, grab a quick protein shake, and drink some water. If I get up any later then I'm rushing to get ready and then the kids have to rush and we most likely will be late to school...which I HATE.

I like getting my metabolism revved up at the beginning of the day, too. Then I don't have to worry about what I'm eating and how hard I have to work to burn it off. I know exactly how many calories I can have at each meal. Since I live in South Texas it gets pretty hot in the summertime and I'd rather workout when it's a little bit cooler. We don't have central heat/ac, so during the winter I'd start working out with warm jammies, at least two t-shirts, several pairs of socks, a sweatshirt, gloves, my bathrobe and sometimes a hat! Then I'd gradually shed layers as I got warmed up.

I think you HAVE to be dedicated and have your head in the right place. I know that I will never get the results I want if I don't put in the effort on a consistent basis. Plus at this point, 170 days of exercising, I love the feeling. In one of my Turbo Fire workouts Chalene says that you get addicted to intense exercising and the endorphin high you get when you're finished. "We're here to support you in your new addiction!"

I like to work out in the morning also, so no one watches me. My husband likes to make his cute little comments, nice but......hard to concentrate. Plus it does get my metabolism rev'd up, and I feel so much better. I get so much more done during the day and I lose the "I don't want too's" Chalene also says "You can do anything you tell yourself you can do" One of my favorite sayings. I hear her voice in my head all the time and this keeps me motivated. I agree with others finding a workout you love to do is another great way to stay motivated. I feel like I have missed something when I don't do my Turbo Fire workouts, like a missed a day w/my best girlfriend.
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Thanks everyone! It seems determination and discipline are the answers until it becomes a natural occurrence. It helps to see so many who are doing it and getting results. Thanks for the input:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.