Reps or weight?

Options
Just wondering. when your doing "Strength Training" when do you increase the weight and by how much do you increase it. Does it continue to increase and when is the weight enough? OR is it better to increase the reps? or do you alternate? what about resistant training ? or when your doing circuit training? Just wondering? Been using the same weights on circuit training for about 2 months now and I get a good work out but it's getting pretty easy. Just wondering. Thanks

Replies

• Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I increase my weight. I want muscle and more weight = more muscle.
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    If you are hitting over 15 reps, I would up the weight by 2.5 pounds or 5. You shouldn't gain "mass" doing this because you are still in the 12-15 rep range.

I on the other hand try to hit 8 reps. If I get up to 10 reps I up the weight to knock me back down in reps.

Hope this helps.
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Reps = tone and definition

More weight= bigger muscle

What one do you want ?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'd switch your weight up. When I do my weight training with my trainer we never use the same amount of weight from week to week.. sometimes we go heavier, sometimes we go lighter.. it's all about what you want to do which is either build muscle or tone.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're looking for.

In general you want to get to the point where the weight is heavy enough that you don't manage to complete the maximum number of reps in a range easily. The last one or two should be difficult in order to ensure that your muscles are actually working.

Then the rep range that you want to be aiming for depends on your goals.

Strength: 1-5 reps
    Muscle size: 6-10 reps
    Toning: 11-15 reps

If for instance you were looking to build muscle size, you'd aim for a weight where you can do between 6 and 10 reps, with the last couple of reps being difficult to complete. If you can do 10 easily without straining too much, it's time to push the weight up to a new weight that keeps you within your chosen rep range.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Up your weight.

I've always found the low weight/high rep thing completely useless.
  • critiry3
    critiry3 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. when your doing "Strength Training" when do you increase the weight and by how much do you increase it. Does it continue to increase and when is the weight enough? OR is it better to increase the reps? or do you alternate? what about resistant training ? or when your doing circuit training? Just wondering? Been using the same weights on circuit training for about 2 months now and I get a good work out but it's getting pretty easy. Just wondering. Thanks

Actually it kind of varies by muscle groups / types. Larger muscle groups (i.e. quads, pectoralis) typically have more fast-twitch muscle fibers and thereby respond better to heavier loads / lower reps / more sets. Smaller muscle groups like the Rhomboids, Latissimus, and even Bicep are more slow twitch muscle fibers and usually respond better to more volume, light to medium loads, more reps, less sets.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful post... I've been avoiding strength training because I wasn't sure how to do it without bulking up.

Thanks guys :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful post... I've been avoiding strength training because I wasn't sure how to do it without bulking up.

Anykind of strength trainer is going to cause some gain but to get big you have to eat BIG, real BIG. If you're diet plan is following some kind of calorie deficit then you shouldn't worry about gaining significant mass.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Anykind of strength trainer is going to cause some gain but to get big you have to eat BIG, real BIG. If you're diet plan is following some kind of calorie deficit then you shouldn't worry about gaining significant mass.

+1

Weight training with heavy weights is a wonderful way to burn fat and increase muscle tone. Most women will not get big without a LOT of dietary intervention.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

+1

Weight training with heavy weights is a wonderful way to burn fat and increase muscle tone. Most women will not get big without a LOT of dietary intervention.