my stove doesn't work!oven friendly recipes?

Options
My stove stopped working so I'm left with an oven and microwave..if anyone has any recipes to share it would be greatly appreciated..I'm running low on ideas

Replies

• sroth88
    Options
    My stove stopped working so I'm left with an oven and microwave..if anyone has any recipes to share it would be greatly appreciated..I'm running low on ideas
  • jonkat118
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? You can do so much in it. Crockpot chicken, turkey, veggie stews, lots and lots of things. :wink: But you could do the same thing in your oven.

Oh hello my name is Sunny, in California
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Bummer!
    Well If you really get tiered of the stove not working, you can pop over to Walmart or Target or Ace Hardware and get a single or double stove top burner. They run about 20.00 and that will take you threw until you can get the stove fixed or a new one.
    In the mean time. Most everything you do on the stove top, can be done in the nuke machine.
    Just cover it so you do not get Nuke splatter on the sides.
    Roast Chicken in the oven, baste it like a turkey.
    Casseroles with veggies are great in the oven too.
    Salomn in the oven with some pepper and lemon on top bake for 5 to 10 min or until done at about 350.
    Hope these help you out.
    --Diann...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Oh and I was just reminded about the sweet potatoes in the Microwave or the oven.
    Slice into wedges, spray some Pam butter flavor on them bake at 350 for 30 min or until they are easy to cut with the edge of a fork.
    FAT FREE, LOW CALORIE, FRENCH FRIES!
    YUMMY!
    --Diann...
  • rissa1322
    Options
    i just discovered this.. they are the ziploc steamer bags.. they work so great and you use your microwave. the other night i made chicken breast(takes 5 min in the microwave) red potatoes and veggies. It took about 15 minutes and its all steamed.

Check it out.. www.ziploc.com
    they have tons of recipes too!
  • tdroseler
    Options

i think that is marvelous!!!

No wait, lol...really, before you call the men in white coats...

This is the perfect opportunity for good old fashioned meals. You know the ones with meat, potatoes, and vegetables. Real foods, not all that stuff we tend to reach for that has ingredients you need a doctorate to read.

Roast a chicken, or chicken pieces. Use one of those roasters that has the little rack to lift the meat out of the fat and juices if you can. Do a lean roast of pork, or beef. Throw the veggies right in there to cook too.

Bonus part is it will help keep your home warm, and fill your senses with smells that may remind you of "grandma's" or something equaly enjoyable.
    Downfall is you may drool more, :wink: :laugh:
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    you might consider investing in an electric skillet. they come in all sizes and are really versatile. I do everything in mine from stuffed peppers to steaks. you can even boil water and make pasta if you need to. they have a temp dial, are easy to clean and fairly cheap. I used to live in an RV with a toaster oven, electric skillet and microwave. :happy: there is nothing you can't do with those three items. here is a good oven one though, for breakfast.

french toast.
    spray a square pan with pam, line with bread of choice, pour milk and beaten eggwhites over bread. let soak in fridge over night. bake in the morning at 350 till done, lift out one piece at a time and enjoy.

Frittat
    line small pan with bacon, ham, or sausage cover with beaten eggs and then cheese. bake 350 about an hour till done. makes a great dinner with salad. now, you know without me saying, its eggwhites, only one egg yolk allowed, lowfat meat and eggs. right? :happy:

hope they help
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quick meals is called Almond Chicken. Put some chicken breasts in a pan and cover with a small amount of brown sugar, garlic salt and almonds. Bake for 20 min at 350 or 400. You could eat it with some instant brown rice from the microwave.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I make baked fish allllll the time! Preheat the oven to 350. Take whatever type of fish you have (I use 7 oz. tuna steaks or tilapia fillets) and put it in a foil lined baking pan (easy cleanup). I like to drizzle on some low-fat balsamic vinaigrette, soy sauce, or just spices. You don't really need the moisture as long as you don't overbake it. I bake mine for 15 minutes, but if you're using a 4 oz. fillet 10 would be better. Just check the middle to see if it flakes.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ha, ha - I have the opposite problem. My oven doesn't work but my stove does!

Here is a simple recipe for sweet and sour chicken:

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (bagged, frozen okay)
    1 green bell pepper
    1 red bell pepper
    1 medium onion
    1 cup pineapple chunks, drained if necessary
    1 bottle fat free French dressing
    1 jar sugar free apricot pineapple preserves
    1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 package Lipton onion soup mix
    Brown sugar to taste
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 F.

In large mixing bowl combine dressing, preserves, garlic and soup mix. Add in brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. If you have reserved pineapple juice from the pineapple chunks, you may add a splash or two. Set aside.

Place chicken breasts into a 9x13 baking dish. Chop bell peppers and onion into bite size chunks. Spread evenly over the chicken. Spread pineapple chunks over chicken as well. Next, pour the sauce in the baking dish evenly over the chicken, vegetables and pineapple. Cover and bake 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked completely. Serve with steamed or brown rice.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sorry - double post. :tongue:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of stuff you can do in the oven. Here's a simple, yummy one:

No Peeky Chicken

1 cup rice (if you use brown, increase the water a bit)
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (or whatever other cream of ___ you have)
    1.5 cans of water (use the soup can)
    1-2 cups of whatever veggies you want to have (broccoli is always good)
    4 chicken breasts (i've used pork chops, too)
    1 packet onion soup mix
    salt and pepper to taste ( i tend to just add random spices from my cabinet as well...garlic, onion, sage, thyme, anything works!)

Mix rice, soup, water, seasonings together. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. Place meat on top and push into the rice mixture a bit. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top. Cover super tight with foil and bake at about 350 for 45-60 min. Don't peek or the steam will come out and your rice won't be cooked...hence the name. :)
  • kmckesson
    Options
    squash is super easy and good with just salt and pepper so you don't add lots of calories.

i like acoprn or butternut but whatever type you like just cut it in half and place face down in a casserol dish with a little water in the bottom. steam it like that for like 20 minutes then pull it out, let cool, scoop out insides (take out the seeds before cooking of course), add a little spice and voila.

hearty and healthy.

i also like lowfat french toast in a waffle iron:
    2 slices whole wheat bread cut in half (so they fit in the iron)
    1 egg, tsp cinnamon, splash of soy milk- beat well
    soak bread in mixture, throw it in the iron, cook for a minute or so.
    top with light maple syrup for 100 calories per 1/4 cup or honey if you prefer and it's tasty, dessert-like and reasonably healthy campared to the regular stuff.
    just remember: no butter or extra sugar!