What gets you out of the house?

Options
I have a gym membership that I have not used in almost a year. I had a hard time finding time to go between my part time job and staying home with the kids. My husband was working at night and sleeping during the day. Since then I started a full time job and my husband is working days again. But he leaves the house at 6:00 am and I then get myself and our 3 kids out the door to school/daycare/work and barely make it to work on time as it is. So now my husband is getting off of work around 2:00 or 3:00 and going straight to the gym before picking our kids up. I could go straight from work, but that interferes with dinner time and kids bed time. So I like to go home and have dinner with my family. My oldest is in bed by 8:00. Our gym is open 24 hours M-Th so there is nothing stopping me from going after my kids are in bed, but then by the time I get home it'll be approximately 10:00.

So if you are night time exercisers how do you get out of the house at night? How long does it take you to wind down before going to bed?

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    to answer your question- my family gets me out. haha. it's just constant yelling and bickering. you could say it's a blessing in disguise? haha
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I get out of the house to do many more things than exercise...but for my exercise routine right now, who needs to leave the house. I do P90X and Insanity and boom, done and on with my day.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I used to make similar excuses for not going. The bottom line is this... if it's important enough for you to go, you will make the time. Believe me... whether or not you want to admit it... the time is there.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Your schedule sounds a lot like mine.
    I find I usually make excuses if I don't go/work out first thing.
    So going to the gym at night doesn't work for me.
    I guess you just have to decide it's a priority-like a medical appointment or a job interview. Put it in your calendar for the week and just make it happen. I do find that adding gym time and/or classes to my calendar each week (I have to go week by week due to a varying work schedule) helps me to make it happen. And I have (finally) reached the point where I miss working out if I don't get it done....it's "me" time, it's stress relief etc.

I have also added/used DVD work outs for times when I just can't get to the gym.

I know this doesn't really answer your questions, but it's what I've found, working, being a mom, a wife etc. that works for me. I guess my point is, you'll find something that works if you are determined to do so.

Good luck!
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    I can't exercise at night, it takes me waayyyyy to long to wind down and I don't sleep good. I have to work out in the morning or afternoon...No workout after 6 p.m. or I can't sleep. But that's just me. Some ppl prefer and evening workout.

And depending on what type of workout you are wanting, you could always just do something at home so that you aren't having to get out to the gym. I haven't been to the gym in months and still get a great workout!
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I only have one child and I had the same issue. You never know when you will have the right time to workout since the scheduel isn't so perfect anymore. I decided to cancel my gym membership and now do at-home workouts mostly. I jog outside with my dogs or do exercise videos and hand weights when the baby is sleeping or even if he's having fun watching me jump around :) I just try to make a time-limit goal: "I will do jog/ video before 9pm today." It helps me want to do it as soon as possible so I can relax the rest of the evening.
  • bethany_22
    bethany_22 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home. I find work out videos that I enjoy and I stick to them. It saves you a lot of time not having to drive to the gym and back. It also saves a lot of money. My mom and I are working out together because the support really helps. I have two younger brothers (5 and 7) so I know how hard it is to work out with them being there. We find ways to make it work! We work out in the basement with them down there. We have them stay on one side and we work out on the other. This way we are watching them, yet working out at the same time. Ask your husband to work out with you rather than going to the gym. Have him pick up the kids, take them home, have them do their homework and chores (if they have any), and then when you get home you can all cook a meal together. That will help with the meal being healthy and your kids will learn how to eat right because they are doing it themselves. My brothers love to help out in the kitchen and it is a good experience for them. Another idea is do things as a family. Summer is here so maybe bedtime can be a little later. Go to the park and run around with your kids. Walk around your neighborhood. (pushing a stroller helps burn more calories!!) I think that if you do things that you enjoy you will be more likely to get out there and do it. Do things as a family especially now that it is almost summer. When you put off your work out till late at night it never gets done. Good luck!

xoxox
    Bethany
  • Jhensley2011
    Jhensley2011 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to a gym to workout. I used to think this way also but I was missing meals with the family and good ole quality time. I have since cancelled my gym membership and use my family to get in shape. We have dance competitions on the Wii, take the dog for a long strolls, etc. Parks with hiking trails or paths are good for kids too as it gives them a sense of adventure (and gets them off their phones or laptops lol). I know kids don't always want to go with this, but in that case get a few workout dvds that you can do at home (helps in the winter months too). I suggest a few different kinds of dvds so you don't get bored doing the same one day in and day out. Also, staying at home saves you the time (and gas!) spent driving to and from the gym which gives you that much more time with your family. There's all kinds of ways out there. You just have to be creative. :-) Hope this helps.

Good Luck to you!

j
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Yeah, I know I have the time, and I could work out at home, I just want to get to the gym for weights. I have a treadmil at home and a Wii Fit, so there is enough for me to do at home. I could work out in the morning, but I can't leave the house.

I am going to start walking around my office complex during my lunch break though, that should give me a good 20 minute work out and then I can supplement that with a home work out.

Sounds like I may need to cancel my gym membership, and figure out some way to do weights at home. My husband will be gone for over a year next year and I can't afford child care for gym time, so I'm gonna have to find ways to make it work at home anyway.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I once had all those same excuses... I am a stay at home mom.. hubby leaves around 6am, I am busy busy buys all day long.... by the time he gets home at 5 i need to have dinner ready and then i am too tired to go workout.. or what if i do workout in the evening and then cant get to sleep on time... BLAH BLAH BLAH.. stop the excuses hehehe...

I still have the same schedule as mentioned above.. but now...NO EXCUSES.!! I am up at 4:45am out the door by 5:15 i run 3 miles get home before my hubs leaves and 6 then I shower and get the kids ready...

If i don't run in the am I workout while the kids nap in the afternoon( I get about an hour workout in... some days a 30 min) something is always better than nothing.

If i don't workout in the am or while they nap... I get dinner cooking early so it is ready and on the table at 5:00 then i have no excuse for not working out in the evening... i will be done before the kids need to go down for bed (so they are not being forgotten for my workout) and i have time to rest and wind down before i head off to bed by around 9pm :-)

all that being said.... THERE IS ALWAYS TIME FOR YOU!!! you just have to make the time!!!
  • crissi66
    crissi66 Posts: 98
    Options
    I love exercising at nite!!!! I truley feel like i push myself way harder at nite rather than first thing in the morning or afternoon. For me as soon as i take a shower and hit the bed im asleep. I do make sure after my cardio, which I do after some circuit training, I do a little cool down so by the time im in my car on the way home im starting to come down from the adrenaline. Everybody is different though. My boyfrined likes some hot tea before bed. Celestial seasonings makes a sleepy time tea that he thinks really mellows him out.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I usually get to the gym about 9:00 - 9:30 pm. This is all a lifestyle change, so it is something I do for me and no one else.

In addition to my family, I am also an avid pool player. My team also puts pressure on me when needed, etc. But, in order to stay healthy and enjoy a great lifestyle, I am determined to set a good example for my kids. I also do not want to end up like those older geezers who sit at the bar night after night, calling every nigh "pool night" to get out of the house.

What I am saying is make the choices and arrangements that work for you, and the others will fall into line. Don't do anything to compromise your kids' or husband's daily routine, but simply find a way to compliment or supplement what you already have.

You are already stressed, but I can tell you adding a daily routine for exercise helps alleviate that, not add to it.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Here is what you do... (this works for me)...

You get up early (before everyone else does). I get up at 6:00AM - put on some running clothes and run about 3 to 5 miles. I did not start out that way! I started walk/run for a mile. I kept this up until I could run the whole mile w/o stopping. I then mapped out a 1.5 then a 2.0, then a 2.5, then a 3.1, then a 4.2. I can now run a 5.2 mile run and I am going to push it up to 6.1 miles. Make sure you log all of your food and weigh in at least once a week to track your progress.

Also, for the first couple of months, you will GAIN WEIGHT but your clothes will fit looser. Dont get discouraged! At first you will gain muscle faster than you will lose the fat (and muscle weighs more than fat). I would suggest you really measure your weight loss on your clothes fitting better. I had to go through my closet and get rid of 'fat clothes'. Thats a great feeling taking a couple of trash bags full of clothes to the Goodwill donation box. I buy a shirt here and ther and maybe a pair of pants here and there. I am still losing weight and I tell you what, once you see 10 pounds gone and for you - you see a dress size go down - you will start to get insane with it.

Thats what you need to be - INSANE - with it! Make it consume your world. Shout it from the mountain top when you lose 10 pounds! Keep it up! DONT go back to your old ways. We are here to help you and keep you motivated! Go to Marshals and get you some really good running shoes - ones that have air cushions on the heel are the best. They absorb the greatest amount of shock, plus they are sooo confortable. They cost me about 40 bucks for some nice ones (I got some Puma's).

Anyways, I can help you get started. I used to be L-A-Z-Y. I weighed 285 on Jan 1st and now I am around 230 ish. My goal is 205. You are at the right place by joining this site :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You have given me some great advice and motivation!

I've decided to also start walking around my office building, but now I have kind of a sill question LOL. Is it better if I eat lunch before or after I take my walk? I can pretty much take my lunch whenever I want, and I can eat at my desk while I'm working...so timing is not an issue.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I get off work at 4 but have the air conditioning at home set to come on at 6. The gym is air conditioned!