How often do you machine wash your chest strap?

Options
2»

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Maybe mine is different but it says not to machine wash it but to hand wash it. I hand wash mine or I take baby wipes to it after I workout. If I don't wash it down it doesn't read my HR right
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I wash strap and electrode in the shower with mild soap once in awhile. Every month or so I machine wash the strap. It never stinks.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't read all the instructions! LOL!! I think there are going to be a lot of people from all locations washing their chest straps today!!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I rinse mine everday, but wash it by hand once a week. I daren't put it in my washing machine as it's a bit dodgy and sometimes overheats!
  • tbever
    tbever Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hold on, I think I hear the washing machine calling!! Wow, after reading all these replies I am embarrassed to say that I have probably only machine washed mine maybe twice in over a year!! I had know idea that you were supposed to do it every 5th workout! Geez, now I feel all gross!!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I workout pretty much every day & I throw mine in the washer every few days & rinse off after every workout...Otherwise I think it stinks & occasionally it won't read my heart rate. In fact, it's in the washer right now. I put it in a netted bag & throw it in w/ colors.

Edit to add, I've been doing this for a good year now.

Is your cat a British blue? I have a British Blue who likes to sit the exact same way!
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yeah the instructions say to wash it in the machine after every 5th use (make sure your detergent has no bleech or fabric softener). But that's why I asked the question - because I am scared to machine wash it.

Sounds like some people are just hand washing it and it should be fine.

I found the following forum on the Polar HRM and washing the strap: http://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?t=12365
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I wait for it to crawl away. Then I draw and quarter it, and throw it in a load of laundry.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Yeah the instructions say to wash it in the machine after every 5th use (make sure your detergent has no bleech or fabric softener). But that's why I asked the question - because I am scared to machine wash it.
    If the instructions say to machine wash it, why are you scared to do what the manufacturer instructs you to do? You get better reads when you wash the strap at least once per week. I've had friends on here who, after throwing their straps into the wash, got much better burns than when using a dirty strap (they were only rinsing it).
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've never washed mine. I'm a sick, disgusting person :P
    I rinse it under water before putting it on everyday, but that's the extent of it.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I workout pretty much every day & I throw mine in the washer every few days & rinse off after every workout...Otherwise I think it stinks & occasionally it won't read my heart rate. In fact, it's in the washer right now. I put it in a netted bag & throw it in w/ colors.

Edit to add, I've been doing this for a good year now.

Is your cat a British blue? I have a British Blue who likes to sit the exact same way!
    I couldn't tell ya. He's my "big boned" 23lb baby that my mom found walking around town when he was 6mo old & had a sore foot (like it had gotten stuck in a trap or something). So I "adopted" him.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Eep! I've been hand-washing mine. Then again, I'm in an apartment with dodgy washing machines so I don't think I'm going to start putting it in the machine. I might hand-wash it a bit more vigorously, though.