the scale is mocking me

Options
So I've been working out for the last 12 days in a row, my net calories consumed each day have been under 1200 (except for one day where I went over 100 calories), Last week I burned a total of 3900 calories. At Saturday's weigh in I was down another pound, after weigh in I did my 30 DS work out then went to work out at the beach for another 1.5 hrs for a special beach bootcamp session. As a result, I spent all day yesterday very sore but still did my 30 DS work out. So I thought I would weigh myself this morning to see if there were any immediate results, and there were - scale said I gained 2.5 pounds since Saturday!!!!

How is this possible? I know muscle weighs more than fat but 2.5 lbs in 2 days? c'mon!

I knew I shouldn't have weighed in, I try to keep it to Saturdays but sometimes I can't help my self. I'm not logging this gain and I'm going to wait until the end of the week like I should. Argh! :grumble:

Replies

• Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Might be a temporary fluctuation. Keep with it and don't get discouraged.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    So I've been working out for the last 12 days in a row, my net calories consumed each day have been under 1200 (except for one day where I went over 100 calories), Last week I burned a total of 3900 calories. At Saturday's weigh in I was down another pound, after weigh in I did my 30 DS work out then went to work out at the beach for another 1.5 hrs for a special beach bootcamp session. As a result, I spent all day yesterday very sore but still did my 30 DS work out. So I thought I would weigh myself this morning to see if there were any immediate results, and there were - scale said I gained 2.5 pounds since Saturday!!!!

How is this possible? I know muscle weighs more than fat but 2.5 lbs in 2 days? c'mon!

I knew I shouldn't have weighed in, I try to keep it to Saturdays but sometimes I can't help my self. I'm not logging this gain and I'm going to wait until the end of the week like I should. Argh! :grumble:
    I feel ya girl!! I have been busting my butt allllll week and the scale didn't move what the heck?????
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yea I keep going up and down 2 lbs myself. I won't lie I weigh myself allmost every day! But somehow on my weigh day I'm down a cpl lbs again,I don't know how it works it just does. When I'm up lbs I DON'T log it :) I pretend I didn't see it lol. Did you take measurements? If not do it! I've only lost 8 lbs in 6 weeks but I've also lost 4 1/2 inches and THAT'S what I'm more excited about! Good luck :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are prob. hanging on to water. Give it a few days and see what happens.. I know that my scale went up like 2 pounds after I saw my trainer.. I was highly annoyed with him that day.. but now its going back down.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Your net calories might be the problem. You said you keep them under 1200 - but how far under? If you are working out a lot - you may not be eating enough.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Make sure you measure yourself too, your probably losing lots of inches, as well and perhaps eat more of your exercise calories
  • kroessler1
    Options
    This is happening to me too! Its sooooo frustrating.. just try and focus on measurements, not the weight. I no it is hard... but just do it, that is better.. You will see your waist line shrinking and who cares what the number is? Well, I do.. I know its hard, but try and focus on the positive and measure, dont weigh in!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    So I've been working out for the last 12 days in a row

You need rest days. Seriously. This is when your body repairs and balances itself and systems reset. Give yourself no fewer than one-two days of rest per week. I will bet money you'll see a shift in weight once you institute rest days off of exercise.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yea I keep going up and down 2 lbs myself. I won't lie I weigh myself allmost every day! But somehow on my weigh day I'm down a cpl lbs again,I don't know how it works it just does. When I'm up lbs I DON'T log it :) I pretend I didn't see it lol. Did you take measurements? If not do it! I've only lost 8 lbs in 6 weeks but I've also lost 4 1/2 inches and THAT'S what I'm more excited about! Good luck :)

First off 8 lbs is great, congrats! I'm at about the same (before this slight gain that is). I did take measurements and they didn't seem to change at al even with the 2lb loss on Sat morning. Someone pointed out that it might be water retention and I did have 2 days in a row of 20+ cups of water so maybe that might be a contributing factor. I'm also going to try eating more earlier in the day someone pointed my calorie intake might be a little low.

I totally relate to your post, it made me giggle thanks for the pick me up!
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options

You need rest days. Seriously. This is when your body repairs and balances itself and systems reset. Give yourself no fewer than one-two days of rest per week. I will bet money you'll see a shift in weight once you institute rest days off of exercise.

But I'm doing the 30 DS? Should I still skip a day to rest and pick up where I left off after? I thought I was supposed to go every day for 30 consecutive? Besides, its only 20 minutes, a tough 20 minutes but still.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

But I'm doing the 30 DS? Should I still skip a day to rest and pick up where I left off after? I thought I was supposed to go every day for 30 consecutive? Besides, its only 20 minutes, a tough 20 minutes but still.

Well, you can stick with it and see how it goes or you can institute rest days and see how it goes. I'd personally choose the latter. But it's up to you.
  • pelester3117
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, keep it up!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I see several issues working against you here.

#1 - eating under 1200 net ... it's not advised that you do that. You should be at 1200 net MINIMUM. Especially burning that many calories a week.
    #2 - rest days ... yeah, 30DS is supposed to be consecutive, but if you're exhausted (because you're not eating enough for one) and you're super-sore, you need recovery.
    #3 - muscle fluid retention.... that might be why the scale went up.
    #4 - weighing every day .. this can psych people out. Ignore the scale for a few days, give thought to the above, and see what happens.

Good luck!
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I read that when you work your muscles really hard, they retain water while they grow. So your muscles are probably just full of water. Make sure you get some protein to replace it! Also, track your sodium. If I go over on sodium one day, and weigh more in the morning I know why. It helps to make sense of it all!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It's inflammation(water) from "overdoing" it.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    your body is just getting used to a new routine. Don't loose hope, the weight will come off. When I started working out it took me 4 weeks to start to see the results that I wanted.
  • acontreras08
    acontreras08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok, you need to STOP weighing yourself. LOL! Carolina and I use to do the same thing but I stopped after gaining a pound. I waited until the next month to weigh, then at the end of the month and that's when I saw results. :-) Be patient.

You are doing great though! Thanks for always motivating me to "run" faster during boot camp!
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    when you start thinking in terms of being consistent in your change to a healthy lifestyle instead of what you weigh today you will be in a good place...