Traveling - Need Breakfast Ideas

Options
mlh612
mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
Hi All! We are going on vacation soon with 2 kids and I am trying to get some good breakfast ideas for the hotel room. Breakfast out every morning is expensive and calorie-loaded. We will have a mini fridge in our room - thank goodness. So far my ideas include: fruit breakfast bars, cereal, maybe bagels.... Anybody else have some great suggestions for a hotel room away from home that a 6 & 13 year old won't complain too much about ;)

Replies

• frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, fruit, cheese and cottage cheese come to mind.
  • bjpa2001
    bjpa2001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat on the run in the mornings so my breakfast items may be good for breakfast in a hotel, too. I like Granola bars for breaakfast and if you can make a quick trip to the grocery store then yogurt is good too (couldn't bring it from home:wink: ). Also oatmeal is easy if you have access to a microwave or a coffee pot for hot water. Have fun!
  • myrbg
    myrbg Posts: 93
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER!!

almonds
    fruit - bananas, apples, peaches, any that won't perish quickly.
    definitely ceral
    cheese
    tomatoes

...where are you going? :)
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Actually bagels are usually loaded with preservatives and other unhealthy junk. Still much better than eating out though.

I would suggest breakfast cereals, maybe oatmeal, and some fruit. If you need to get protein every meal because you are working out you might try cottage cheese.

And don't forget yogurt. Kids love yogurt :D

And if you have a stove, get some lower cal cheese, veggies and eggs, and make some delicious omelets! (Which are usually pretty good, if you DO end up eating out)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    A lot of hotels have free breakfasts and you can grab some oatmeal and fresh fruit. For the room, fresh fruit, nuts, maybe some low-sodium deli meats and some pre-packaged hard-boiled eggs?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Buy a jar of Goober (peanut butter and jelly swirl) and a loaf of bread. Bananas, grapes, apples. Granola bars are always good. Cereal and milk (don't forget bowls and spoons!) String cheese
  • NYgeorgiapeach
    Options
    Bagel-fuls are good. The kids will like them, and they don't have a ton of calories (they are around 200 calories). This saves you from buying all the fixings of bagels, and you can keep them in the fridge :)
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    If you have a microwave too Egg Mugs may be perfect. You can even just use regular precooked sausage, syrup & regular american cheese if you wanted.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1499

Ingredients:
    1 Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patty (or another low-fat sausage patty with about 80 calories)
    1 tbsp. sugar-free pancake syrup
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1 slice fat-free American cheese

Directions:
    Lightly spray a large microwave-safe mug with nonstick spray. Add sausage patty and microwave for 45 seconds. Use a fork to break patty into pieces inside mug, until mostly crumbled. Add syrup and toss to coat. Add egg substitute and microwave for 1 minute.

Gently stir and microwave for 45 seconds. Tear cheese into pieces and add to the mug. Microwave for 15 seconds.

Lightly stir, let cool slightly, and then dig in!

MAKES 1 SERVING
  • gs7330
    gs7330 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thomas' Bagel Flats with whipped cream cheese...
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!!!

1/2 cup of oats (90cals)
    1 cup water

Microwave for 2-2.5 minutes

And add fruit, cinnamon, sugar to it.

I cut up a banana (4oz is 100cal), a tsp of cinnamon and splenda or stevia which is a great 250 cal breakfast.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER!!

almonds
    fruit - bananas, apples, peaches, any that won't perish quickly.
    definitely ceral
    cheese
    tomatoes

...where are you going? :)

Florida - to Disney for 5 days and the BEACH!! for 4 days!!!! So excited and can't wait!