Correct calorie burn??

Shanell802
Shanell802 Posts: 37
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I'm confused...I thought that when I tracked a workout or exercise, MFP knew how much I weighed and calculated the calories I burned. Does it really calculate them based on my age/weight or whatever, or is it just a general number? I want to know exactly how many calories I have burned, not a general estimate. How am I supposed to know exactly how many calories I have burned? I am looking to see how many calories I would burn if I did aerobic step with a 4 inch step, not a 6 to 8 inch step. Please help! Thanks.

Replies

• nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    I track exercise based upon the calories my heartrate monitor says I've burned. It does take age, weight, height all into consideration. That's the best way I know to get an accurate count.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    It's a general number, not based your individual inputs (age, weight, gender, exercise intensity, etc.). If you want an accurate measurement you need to buy a quality heart rate monitor with chest strap that has the "calories burned" feature.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    MFP does use height, weight, gender to calculate, but to get a more accurate estimate you need to use a HRM (heart rate monitor). You need one with a chest strap that constantly tracks your heart rate.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Unfortunately, I can't rely on MFP being that accurate either. For my weight/age I think their numbers for burns are greatly under my actual.

Stick with a HRM if possible. Mine gives me numbers almost double the "standard" that MFP offers.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Heart rate monitor is the way to go! I have the Polar FT4 and love it!
  • zaz936
    zaz936 Posts: 68 Member
    Unfortunately, I can't rely on MFP being that accurate either. For my weight/age I think their numbers for burns are greatly under my actual.

Stick with a HRM if possible. Mine gives me numbers almost double the "standard" that MFP offers.

This is so interesting. I've been wondering the same as the initial poster. However, I thought MFP was too high and I've been cutting by 25 % what it said for exercise. Hum, I guess I really need an HRM.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 847 Member
    MFP does take in account your person factors... what it cannot take into account is how much you are exerting. For example you can do an elliptical for 30minutes but your calorie burn will be different based upon if you were going 1mph or 5mph... for best results in tracking I would suggest buying a HRM.

Once I bought my food scale and HRM, I noticed a big difference. What I thought was 4oz... so was not and those MFP calorie burns were not quite accurate (anywhere from 100 - 400 calories).
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    I bought a HRM and MFP was saying double what my HRM says. Definitely buy a HRM.
  • Shanell802
    Thanks for the info. I think I may need a HRM. How much do they typically cost? Do I just need to wear it while exercising? I don't need an EXACT calorie count...just a closer estimate than what I'm getting from MFP. I don't want to spend a lot on this...is that possible?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I got mine from walmart (pro form TX-300) for $48 and love it. Get one with a chest strap and make sure calories burned is one of it's functions.
  • Shanell802
    So, the watch ones aren't that good? And thanks :)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    I don't think even if MFP is using your weight and other stats that it is accurate for everyone. When I bought my HRM I found out that I actually burn about half of what MFP gave me for most exercises.

I have a Polar 4FT and I love it. It was $60 at Sports Authority
This discussion has been closed.