Question about best gym machines

Options
i go to a gym that has every machine imaginable, but I always feel I'm not getting the best workout on them. Does anyone know which elliptical is better to use-the one with the moving or stationary arms? And is there a good routine to follow in order to burn the most calories? Such as incline/time intervals or should I use one of the pre-programs already set up?

Replies

• Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    The one with the moving arms will be better as you are working more areas of the body.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I think any time you can get upper ad lower body moving together rather than just holding on to something for stability it works more....some you can even progam the resistance to be high enough to alternate making your legs work more and then pushing and pulling to make your arms work more as you continue through the workout.

I am no expert so don't quote me, but I say go for the one that works arms and legs together and make sure you have resistence to compensate for your arms doing some of the work load.
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    the one w/ the arms moving--that way you get an arm work out in too! also--it's better to lift weights before you do any cardio, you'll burn more. i usually do intervals on the elliptical b/c supposodely that burns more calories. do you have a hrm? look into getting one--mine has been eye opening.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical that has moving arms(it's by Octane) and I do their interval program which is called 30:30.
    Basically how it works is you warm up for 3 min and then sprint for 30 sec followed by walking for 30 sec.. and you repeat that interval thing 5X. Then you have a 3 min break before doing the interval session again. It's a pain in the *kitten* but it sure does work!