Letting MFP Friends Go?

Options
When do you let your MFP friends go? When do you delete them from your list? I have found some friends are not motivating, but instead seem destructive. I also have some friends that don't show up regularly and this is a bit discouraging. But, I know that we can not be "on" all the time and that I am also here to encourage and motivate them.

So...what do you do? When do you 'unfriend' someone? Do you do that quietly, or let them know why? How much do you invest in someone who is willfully hurting themselves? I would love to get some advice on this. Thanks much.

Replies

• vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I delete friends who don't log in for 2 weeks....unless I know they're on vacation/moving or something big has happened in their lives.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I have deleted people for all of the reasons you listed, and others. If they are not really helping or motivating, then I don't think it's worth it just to have someone take up your feed.
    I don't tell people when I delete them, I just do it.
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I keep all my friends unless they say something unmotivating or insulting to me.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I usually leave an encouraging message on their wall at 3 days gone, a week gone & a month gone....if they don't come back after a month, I usually unfriend them. At that point, I assume they won't be coming back. I will be going through my friends sometime soon because I have broken 100. If they aren't providing the same encouragement to me as I am to them, I will have to remove them as well. I don't usually say anything, but I'm thinking maybe I should let them know why so they don't try to re-friend me...?
  • LLaDonna
    LLaDonna Posts: 126
    Options
    I've only deleted a couple of friends. One for being overly negative and draining; the other for weeks of inactivity. I don't message them and tell them why. I just remove them and keep on keeping on.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I delete people all the time. No guilt, no warning. If they aren't working out for you just remove them.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's your friend list and your tool to help you so let someone go when you think is appropriate. We are all here for support and some people just don't "click." If someone isn't working for you or if you aren't working for them, move on. That'll help you surround yourself with the RIGHT people who will help you reach your goals.
  • thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you aren't getting the motivation and support you need from them why keep them? If they have been inactive they probably won't even notice you deleted them. :smile:
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    If they don't log in. If I don't interact with them or if they are here for the wrong reasons. Other reasons that I won't mentioned because I will create a storm and I don't feel like justifying myself. It's MY fitness pal, so I'm deciding.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have deleted a few people. I didnt say anything to them. There style of support and what they posted just wasnt for me.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I haven't cleaned up my Friends List at all - I have several that don't show as having been on for awhile and I shoot notes to them every so often - I think those friends need the support the most - I would, however; in a heartbeat, drop a friend (after sending them a note of explanation) if they were being destructive to my weight loss and journey to health...

This is your life you are working on making better - I respect that all people are different and am not easily offended by off colored humor or what have you - but if they directly attempt to "motivate" me in a destructive way, and don't appreciate my request for constructive criticism, I'd drop them.

I'm very lucky, however; that the friends I've chosen are either quiet or highly motivational - I've not had any who were "destructive"...
    C.J.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    If they don't log in. If I don't interact with them or if they are here for the wrong reasons. Other reasons that I won't mentioned because I will create a storm and I don't feel like justifying myself. It's MY fitness pal, so I'm deciding.

I think that's the best statement - it is "YOUR" fitness pal - you are absolutely right :)
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I also delete people that havent logged in for some time. I delete people that constantly post about non weight loss/fitness things. If I want to hear about how little johnny did in boy scounts, ill friend you on fb :)
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have deleted people for all of the reasons you listed, and others. If they are not really helping or motivating, then I don't think it's worth it just to have someone take up your feed.

Exact same here.
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I delete too:

*those that are demotivators' or simply post negative comments: i try to ignore them, but have to let them go if they become too annoying or there postings have a negative impact on me.
    *those that do not log on: after three days, i send them an encouraging message; if no response i wait about a week (after the initial message) before i delete them.

We are here to support each other. It's understandable that we all have personal lives and issues outside of MFP. However, I'm on a mission, so I surround myself w/those that are serious about their goals.
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I also delete people that havent logged in for some time. I delete people that constantly post about non weight loss/fitness things. If I want to hear about how little johnny did in boy scounts, ill friend you on fb :)

I can relate, but have not built up the courage to delete. I just ignore the post.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    When do you let your MFP friends go? When do you delete them from your list? I have found some friends are not motivating, but instead seem destructive. I also have some friends that don't show up regularly and this is a bit discouraging. But, I know that we can not be "on" all the time and that I am also here to encourage and motivate them.

So...what do you do? When do you 'unfriend' someone? Do you do that quietly, or let them know why? How much do you invest in someone who is willfully hurting themselves? I would love to get some advice on this. Thanks much.

I delete them when they have not logged in in 14 days In A ROW ( Remember, some people go on Vacations.)
    I also delete a "Friend" when I see from the News Feed that they are Too Into THEMSELVES, or they mainly do NOT support anyone or their Values seem to differ from mine or they may have OTHER Friends that I don't care for and I receive their comments on My News Feed, or they may complain/rant a Lot about "nothing".

I am looking for people (Friends) that are compatible with Me, not just like Me. I don't need a lot of outside motivation like some people, but I do want "Friends" that are seeking to Live Healthy and NOT on a "Fad/Quick Fix Diet or had Wt Loss Surgery or taking some diet pill." I want "friends" who are doing what I am doing (Making a Lifestyle Change, trying to eat right and healthily, and moderate exercise routine,) and in a similar struggle and are Winning. It may be happening slow and is a struggle but they are STEADY and Not giving up because it is about LIVING!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am quick to delete anybody who has red letters saying they have not logged in for 3 days. For me, this "struggle" fo rme, is an every day thing, not an every couple days thing. I need people who take it as seriously as I do. I can't say I have ever removed anyone for any other reason than that. I'll even re add them should they ask, but soon as they go red, I get the axe out!!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

I agree. It's not like FB, where I KNOW the people, and it's a slap in the face to them. As a general rule, if you wouldn't miss them if they deleted you, then they won't miss you. If they never comment on your stuff, and you never comment on theirs, then kick 'em to the curb! :laugh:
  • BastaConLaPasta
    Options
    I had to delete a few today, their status updates were making my teeth hurt. If someone you don't even know in RL has the ability to irritate you, best to cull, I reckon. It's all about detoxification, right - and I don't just mean food!!