What do you dip in salsa?

Options
I've been eating veggies and dip for a while and need a change. Another low cal dip is salsa but besides chips, what would be good to dip is salsa?

Thanks!

Replies

• netgirl224
    netgirl224 Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm a salsa addict..and I just eat it plain with a spoon lol

But, I can say that salsa on eggs is good..and baked potatoes..well I guess I probably would put salsa on nearly anything..
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like dipping the whole grain saltines in it.
    And you can also buy the baked chips, those are good too
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Depending on the salsa, it sometimes makes an awesome salad dressing. Not really a "dip" but a definite change from the usual dressing :)
  • littlewords
    Options
    Good question!
    I love pico de gallo, and usually put it in tacos (which I feel like are high in calories even carefully homemade) and eat a ton of it on corn chips, which I also need to stop eating.
    I'd love to hear other people's suggestions, but this weekend, I sauteed up some cut up (into bite sized pieces) boneless, skinless chicken breast, and then mixed the pico into that, and it was delicious. Not a snack per se, but if it's just the salso you love, it worked for me.

Right now, I'm going to go try mixing it in with some cooked corn, and I've considered putting it on toast.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My sister just gave me some of her kick-butt homemade salsa... mmm... I'm going to cook some chicken tonight and slather it all over.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    .... All I can think of is chips! Lol. I'm not much of a help, am I? Baked chips aren't so bad though. :)

Hmmm.... I've never dipped anything but chips in salsa....

But, like netgirl224, I do put salsa on my eggs! You could.. dip.. an egg?
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I'll be dipping some brown rice and ground turkey in salsa here in a few minutes. :-)
  • msjeannettea
    msjeannettea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Guiltless Gourmet Tortilla Chips... so good... you can get them at Whole Foods.
  • aubreywygralak
    Options
    I love dipping celery and green peppers and other veggies in my salsa- yum!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I like chips and salsa, but considering most store bought ones are high in sodium, I've been making my own lately. I cut white corn tortillas into 8 wedges (2 tortillas are 110 cals and 10 grams of sodium). Spray a cookie sheet with Pam, put the wedges on it, spray the chips with a little more Pam and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I love chips and salsa, but chips aren't part of my perfect plan for eating, so I don't eat them anymore. I had posted a thread here looking for suggestions to use in place of the chips and some dear person suggested cutting up bell peppers and using them to scoop up the salsa. At first, I thought it'd be pepper overload, but I tried it last week and it's freakin AWESOME!
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i dunno about dipping options, but I love using it to top omelettes or as a solo topping on baked potatoes
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    There's a great brand called Pita Krunch! The calories is 78 calories per ounce and about 1.5 grams of fat?? They also have several types of flavors too. They are my salty treat!!

They are not sold everywhere but I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it!

http://www.pitakrunch.com/index.html
  • NuevaNatalia
    NuevaNatalia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like to dip salsa with jicama (It's a light, crunchy root vegetable), carrot sticks, celery sticks or I like to wrap them in kale leaves. Keeps the calories low yet it fills you up.
  • lindsayfranke
    lindsayfranke Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am with NuevaNata: carrots, celery, red, yellow, green and orange peppers, if you want something salty a few pretzels.

You can also make homemade chips by using Lavash Bread... It's like a huge square wrap. Cut it into 1x1 or 2x2 squares and bake it at 400 degrees for about 4-6 minutes. It has fiber and low calories and tastes great!

You can cook a bunch at once but it only lasts about a week or so if you baggie them.
  • suamiga1217
    suamiga1217 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everything, any vegtable , I put in on eggs, hamburgers, , I use it in my meatloaf especially when I use ground turkey breast the moisture helps with the density.
  • mbarson
    mbarson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I slice zucchini into thin chips, bake them for between 20-30 minutes. You can dip them in salsa. Way lower in calories than any kind of chip or cracker, plus it is GOOD for your body and actually has nutrition.
  • brloo
    brloo Posts: 2
    Options
    Pretzel sticks. 53 sticks for 100 calories and no fat. That's 1.5 old WW points. Not bad! I have to use 2 sticks at a time to be able to scoop though. Better than 6 baked tortilla chips. Sometimes I cut up a high fiber La Tortilla wheat tortilla and bake. Those are 1/2 point! For on-the-go, grab a bag of Lay's Baked potato chips (not Ruffles)- 14 of them for 2 points. Snyders of Hanover Pretzel chips- you can have 14 for 110 calories and 0 fat (2 old WW pts).
  • brloo
    brloo Posts: 2
    Options
    My zucchini shriveled into teeny tiny little pieces, too small to dip in anything. Carrots did the same thing. It's like a whole family's worth of veggies can only feed just me like that, lol.
  • ladylattier
    ladylattier Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like chips and salsa, but considering most store bought ones are high in sodium, I've been making my own lately. I cut white corn tortillas into 8 wedges (2 tortillas are 110 cals and 10 grams of sodium). Spray a cookie sheet with Pam, put the wedges on it, spray the chips with a little more Pam and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

This is a great idea! Thank you! :flowerforyou: