cheat days; how much do you cheat?

Options
2»

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    When I had cheat days (last year), I didn't lose. That wasn't the only reason why, but it was definately part of it.

THis year, I allow myself to eat at maintenance for 1 day a month, and to eat at maintenance for 1 week, every 3 months. I still have to log it. It works SO much better than having cheat days where you don't count anything and the calories are through the roof (enough to wipe out my week's friggin hard earned deficit!!).
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to cheat daily in small amounts. For me this prevents the big binge I will surely go on if I don't allow myself the sweets. I'll have half a Hershey bar (regular size not huge one!), a bowl of Edy's slow churned ice cream, Oreos and milk,.... Usually it is around 200 cals. Now that my cal intake went down, I need to be sure to get in the exercise so I stay under my cals. I find the healthy stuff, skim milk, whole grain pasta,.... are the things that kill my cal intake numbers.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Stormie- That's more what I do! I eat at maintenance calories even when I "cheat". I never thought of it that way though but that's about what they come out to be.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If you have a "cheat", then you are admitting that you are denying yourself things, things that you crave, and things that you will go right back to when you stop losing weight. Simply say that you can have whatever you fancy, just make sure to work it into your daily calorie/fat limits.

If im going out for a meal, ill be sure to cut snacks that day, knowing ill have more calories than i should at dinner, so the totals will match up.

Besides, if you deny yourself things, you find yourself craving them more. If you know you CAN have those sweet things if you really want them, you find you dont want them so much :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat" or have a full day, or meal. When I want something I have been craving, or something I gave up eating, I work it into my calories for that day. For example on Saturday I had a really yummy piece of cake at a babyshower. I worked in a work out and kept myself still under calories for that day. I usually stick to my normal low calorie foods and then once every two weeks or so I toss in something I normally would not eat, but still log it, and still do my best to be under calories.

I eat low calorie, sugar free pudding almost everyday to help avoid feeling deprived. I also snack on quacker low fat granola bars, which are pretty sweet to keep my sweet cravings in check :)
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    MFP tells me I typically burn about 1900 calories a day based on a "light activity" level. My normal goal is 1200. I don't really cheat unless I have few options, but I would aim for no more than 1900 calories.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. If there is something I really want, I plan it into my day. There are no "never again" foods- that's a set up for failure. This works very well for me.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "cheat days" per say, because I think sometimes that can backfire on you. What I DO believe in that I think can work well for you is zig zagging calories. This is where you take your total weekly calories and divide them up differently (low days & high days). My schedule is:
    Day 1-1200
    2-1200
    3-1940
    4-1200
    5-1400
    6-1200
    7-1940 (morning WI day)

Search Zig zagging on here and you will find lots of info. On my high days I usually go out to eat or splurge on a sundae at DQ and 1940 is a LOT of food!
    If you do something like this, it is controlled and instead of doing damage, you actually "shock" your metabolism into losing better!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212510-how-to-zig-zag-cals-properly-caloric-cycling-properly
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and quick replies. I think sunday cheat days are a bad plan for me since it is too easy to overdo it. I'll try to do the occational indulgence that you work off that day instead. I may look forward to sundays less, but at least I can regain control of my calories and learn how to work in some of my favorite foods during the week :smile:
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Well I looked at what you ate, and I must say I never cheat like that I would go over by about 400-500 and that soduim was enough to give you a stroke And I only cheat about once a week and I dont go over 1500.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well I looked at what you ate, and I must say I never cheat like that I would go over by about 400-500 and that soduim was enough to give you a stroke And I only cheat about once a week and I dont go over 1500.

I know, it was a crazy day. But I'm glad I logged it in so I can learn from it. I can't tell you how thirsty I was all day, but it's clear why.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat what I plan. I try to plan my meals for the day so I know exactly what I'm eating.. and if there is room for a little treat, then I'll have one.

This sunday though I'm going to the Taste of Chicago. so I'm def. going to be "cheating" then!
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "cheat days" per say, because I think sometimes that can backfire on you. What I DO believe in that I think can work well for you is zig zagging calories. This is where you take your total weekly calories and divide them up differently (low days & high days). My schedule is:
    Day 1-1200
    2-1200
    3-1940
    4-1200
    5-1400
    6-1200
    7-1940 (morning WI day)

Search Zig zagging on here and you will find lots of info. On my high days I usually go out to eat or splurge on a sundae at DQ and 1940 is a LOT of food!
    If you do something like this, it is controlled and instead of doing damage, you actually "shock" your metabolism into losing better!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212510-how-to-zig-zag-cals-properly-caloric-cycling-properly

thanks for this!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "cheat" days/ meals. I don't feel deprived on my normal days. Sure, I go over my normal calorie budget sometimes, but I feel great even when I don't. Someone said they call it a treat, not cheat, and I think that's a great way of dealing with it. I also like logging EVERYTHING no matter how much or how little I eat, so I can see how my intake is affecting me.

My big eating days are usually around 2100 calories total; that's about 1400 net calories with exercise burn figured in, which isn't bad at all.

Another thing about me is that I have to have EVERYTHING planned in advance. I don't go to sleep if I don't have the entire day's menu planned out for the next day. I'm not really a perfectionist... just a plannist! :laugh: