What is a cup?????????

lizinspain
lizinspain Posts: 8
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I hope this hasn't been asked before but I'm new & have no idea what measurement a cup is!
Help please!
X:blushing:

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    8 fluid ounces.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 929 Member
    For non-liquids, about a 3-inch cube.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    8 fluid ounces.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Also, 250 mL.
  • darlat74
    darlat74 Posts: 23
    8 ounces or 250 ml
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    I measure 8 oz on a food scale. or use an actual measuring cup for liquid.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    16 tbsp. in a cup
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    I hope this hasn't been asked before but I'm new & have no idea what measurement a cup is!
    Help please!
    X:blushing:

A cup varies depending on whether it is Dry or Wet. There are measuring cups for Each Type (WET is 8 oz; DRY is 6 oz.)
    When cooking many Recipes will tell you or even use ingredients by Weight (which is Best) ie, 8 oz of flour (by weight/on a food scale); but clearly liquids should use a Liquid Measuring Cup (like a Pyrex.) If you have a Recipe that calls for 8 oz of Sugar and you use a Pyrex Type Liquid Measuring Cup, then you will over sweet the Recipe or if it calls for 8 oz of Flour and you use a Liquid Measuring Cup, then your Recipe will be off!

Many people are not Cooks, so very seldom do they make distinctions or even Know of them!
  • chunkyb
    chunkyb Posts: 20 Member
    I measure 8 oz on a food scale. or use an actual measuring cup for liquid.
    It is volume, you use a measuring cup. fluid ounces can't be measured on a scale.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    I have this, which has marking for both wet and dry substances.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13126780
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    I have to laugh cause when you said "cup" I thought of bra size!!! Ha!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    And I thought about what my son and hubby use during baseball games!
  • vthomeschoolmom
    vthomeschoolmom Posts: 18 Member
    A cup is a measure of volume. Fluid ounces is a measure of volume for liquids. One cup = 8 fl oz for liquids. This is the equivalent of 8 oz of WATER where oz is a measure of weight.
  • vthomeschoolmom
    vthomeschoolmom Posts: 18 Member
    If you have a Recipe that calls for 8 oz of Sugar and you use a Pyrex Type Liquid Measuring Cup, then you will over sweet the Recipe or if it calls for 8 oz of Flour and you use a Liquid Measuring Cup, then your Recipe will be off!

Ounces (oz) is a measure of mass not volume. Recipes in the US are most often done with volume measurement. Using a dry style measuring cup allows for more precision when measuring dry ingredients. But volume is volume and a cup is a cup.

From what I understand, recipes in European cook books are often written with ingredient WEIGHTS or mass really. So if you see 8 oz of flour, you would use a scale to accurately follow the recipe.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    it's a bit more than a can of coke, sliced in half (across)
  • Thanks guys! It's really for when I'm checking calories in things to add to my diary. Seems an awful lot of things are measured in a cup-like cherries & watermelon for example-very odd to me! Also, I'm a grammes girl not ounces so that threw me too! STill, day 2 & I'm happy & determined!
    :smile:
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    You can google most of them but they vary for each different food so you'd have to google:

1 cup of flour in grams

or

1 cup of water in ml

here is a good website: http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml

Also I assume you're in the UK? You can still buy 'cups' at kitchen stores like lakeland. I have a set and find them really useful as I use a lot of recipes from the internet :smile:
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    it's a bit more than a can of coke, sliced in half (across)

thats a pretty accurate description... a bit wider in diameter though...
This discussion has been closed.