Ideal arm size?

Options
2»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Ideal arms for what? A Barbie doll, a bodybuilder, a monkey? Your arms is part of your genetic make-up - it will not be the same as someone else's.....
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    5'4". I have 11 inch arms when I'm below 135 and 12 inch arms between 135-150.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my arm is 12.5 inches.

i dont know what it was 100 pounds ago. the reports dont back that far.

a year ago it was 14.

well see what it is this time next year lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    right now i weigh about 115 pounds and am 5'5 (well if we want to get technical i'm 5 foot 4.75, but whatever) my BMI is 19.1, and my arm circumference is 9.5 inches just below the shoulder muscle and 8.5 inches just above the elbow. my ideal would probably be 8.5 for upper arm and 7.5 for lower upper arm i know that one inch of fat is 8 pounds so i guess 105 is my goal ugh i still have a long way to go i don't understand cos i lost 15 pounds (130 to 115 lbs) and my upper arms went from 12 in to 9.5 inches but i guess i have extra skin or something cos for a while i was 110 pounds but my arms were still 9.5 inches around...i never understood why people would want bigger arms because let me tell you, it's no fun but whatever.

That is not how it works. You could lose 8 lbs and it could come off other places (such as your chest or glutes). Also I would not aim to be underweight. If you aren't happy with your current body composition then the problem isn't so much fat but lack of muscle base, unless your aim is to just be a smaller version of your current body.

You know people have different goals right? I would love to have more muscle on my arms to balance out my frame.

Yeah, this thread didn't really go where I was expecting either. I would like to add another inch or so to each bicep and definitely to my forearms! They look so scrawny. :cry:

Zombie thread from almost 5 years ago.

Kittens! I'm usually pretty good about noticing such things. I guess I got all excited...

i rarely notice lol
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

12" is my goal. Right now I'm at 11".
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    right now i weigh about 115 pounds and am 5'5 (well if we want to get technical i'm 5 foot 4.75, but whatever) my BMI is 19.1, and my arm circumference is 9.5 inches just below the shoulder muscle and 8.5 inches just above the elbow. my ideal would probably be 8.5 for upper arm and 7.5 for lower upper arm i know that one inch of fat is 8 pounds so i guess 105 is my goal ugh i still have a long way to go i don't understand cos i lost 15 pounds (130 to 115 lbs) and my upper arms went from 12 in to 9.5 inches but i guess i have extra skin or something cos for a while i was 110 pounds but my arms were still 9.5 inches around...i never understood why people would want bigger arms because let me tell you, it's no fun but whatever.

The original thread is old, but this reply is from today and very concerning.

WHY do you have a specific goal of 8.5"? That seems like a very strange thing to be focused on. Surely you don't have a problem with clothe fitting, or anything like that? You are already at the very low end of the healthy BMI. A goal of 105 at 5'5" is officially "underweight". I would encourage you to talk to a doctor or counselor about your weight loss goals and body image issues.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot..that sounds like a thin arm to me. I'm 5'7" and my bicep is 12.5 . I weigh 173. I also lift weights. Id like to lose more fat in my upper arms. I have long arms and legs.
  • bbell1985
    Options

They grew while I was eating like crazy and doing a ton of direct arm work. I feel iffy about them. Like I love the FEELING of getting bigger, but sometimes I like the smaller look better. Sometimes.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

They grew while I was eating like crazy and doing a ton of direct arm work. I feel iffy about them. Like I love the FEELING of getting bigger, but sometimes I like the smaller look better. Sometimes.

Yeah, I've gone up half an inch since I started this bulk!
  • bbell1985
    Options

Yeah, I've gone up half an inch since I started this bulk!

Woot woot!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the only one that loves it when I try on a shirt and it doesn't fit due to my bulging biceps???
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    I guess I'm the only one that loves it when I try on a shirt and it doesn't fit due to my bulging biceps???

Not at all. I've had to move up shirt sizes and love it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I dunno....I can reach things really well and my arms go through my sleeves pretty nicely. I didn't realize there was "an ideal arm size".

I mean, why does that have to be a thing? It's like when Dove ran an ad trying to make women consider be more aware of what their armpits look like, and make sure they are moisturized because.... well to sell deodorant, really.

But the last thing I need is one more silly thing to measure my body against.
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I dunno....I can reach things really well and my arms go through my sleeves pretty nicely. I didn't realize there was "an ideal arm size".

I mean, why does that have to be a thing? It's like when Dove ran an ad trying to make women consider be more aware of what their armpits look like, and make sure they are moisturized because.... well to sell deodorant, really.

But the last thing I need is one more silly thing to measure my body against.

That ad is so annoying! The world is full of armpits skinny concave flat blahblah. YouTube won’t even let you skip it.

But I AM conscious of my arm size, despite never measuring it. I have long skinny arms, I like how they look, but I have trouble putting my own suitcase in the overhead bin on airplanes. And those are at most 20lbs.
  • bbell1985
    Options

I like it when I'm lean. There's a difference between my 12 inch arms when I'm surplussing and puffy and my nearly 12 inch arms when I'm a few pounds down and actually look like I lift.