Wake Up Call

Options
SMCNEIL40
SMCNEIL40 Posts: 80 Member
Children will tell you the truth because they say what they see...here is my wake up call, about a month ago I was at church standing beside a lady that was close to 9 months pregnant, my little niece (4yr) pointed at my stomach and asked "Auntie, do you have a baby in there too? I laughed it off, but that day I realized that my weight was out of control. I have always been a bigger person and over the years I have accepted my weight and carried it well. I would diet work out for a short while to lose 15-20 pounds and then I am off track again to gain it all back and then some. Such a horrible habit.

I started MFP (again) on May 31, 2011 and decided to give it a real try. Having the app on my phone has helped me stay on track and eat right and stay within my calories each day. Even though I will not have an official weigh-in until June 28 I can tell a difference in the way I feel, the way my clothes fit, and my overall happiness. I love the fact that you can have friends that really support your efforts. Love this site!!

Just wanted to share my story with you all, I have a deeper drive to live healthy and not just to lose weight.
Feel free to share your wake up call or give tips on how to stay the course!

Replies

• LisaT9101
    LisaT9101 Posts: 9
    Options
    My wake up call came when I had to buy new summer clothes because the ones from last year didn't fit! I didn't like the number infront of the X so I am working to change it. Keep going.....you can do it!!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)

I actually had a lady ask me if I was pregnant! I just said "Oh, no, just fat", lol. Hence why I am kicking butt and taking names now :P
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    If you can't log it, don't eat it!

That is how MFP helps me. It can be due to laziness or difficulty or inconvinience, but the bottom line is, it is a motivator to put the snacks back in the pantry instead of your mouth. I think many people fail because they have too many of the "this won't matter" foods. Calories add up fast.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I can't really pinpoint one specific incident that changed my perspective on losing weight. I do recall that I made the decision to actually do it shortly after my dad's 55th birthday because it suddenly hit me that he was my age when he lost his mother to heart disease. Since my dad and his brother also have heart problems, I knew I was fighting an uphill battle against genetics, even if I hadn't been obese (which I definitely was at the time). My epiphany came when I was sitting on the couch one day eating a Lean Cuisine. It suddenly occurred to me that I didn't have to eat crap all the time ... that I didn't have to come home from work and crash on the couch rather than getting some exercise first. That moment, nearly a year and a half ago, changed my life completely. I have since lost 80 lbs and would like to lose 10 to 15 more.
  • SMCNEIL40
    Options
    My wake up call came when I had to buy new summer clothes because the ones from last year didn't fit! I didn't like the number infront of the X so I am working to change it. Keep going.....you can do it!!!

Been there done that! Now my clothes are fitting and looking much better. More motivation to keep going!
  • SMCNEIL40
    Options

I actually had a lady ask me if I was pregnant! I just said "Oh, no, just fat", lol. Hence why I am kicking butt and taking names now :P

LOL Have much have you lost?
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    Just remember that everyone has to start somewhere. We all needed a wake up call at some point. Good luck on your journey!
  • SMCNEIL40
    Options
    If you can't log it, don't eat it!

That is how MFP helps me. It can be due to laziness or difficulty or inconvinience, but the bottom line is, it is a motivator to put the snacks back in the pantry instead of your mouth. I think many people fail because they have too many of the "this won't matter" foods. Calories add up fast.

Great tip! I agree with the "this won't matter food" I log everything before I eat it. If it is too much I cut the portion size in half or just eat something else the is better.
  • SMCNEIL40
    Options
    I can't really pinpoint one specific incident that changed my perspective on losing weight. I do recall that I made the decision to actually do it shortly after my dad's 55th birthday because it suddenly hit me that he was my age when he lost his mother to heart disease. Since my dad and his brother also have heart problems, I knew I was fighting an uphill battle against genetics, even if I hadn't been obese (which I definitely was at the time). My epiphany came when I was sitting on the couch one day eating a Lean Cuisine. It suddenly occurred to me that I didn't have to eat crap all the time ... that I didn't have to come home from work and crash on the couch rather than getting some exercise first. That moment, nearly a year and a half ago, changed my life completely. I have since lost 80 lbs and would like to lose 10 to 15 more.

Way to go!! Keep up the good work!!
  • SMCNEIL40
    Options
    Just remember that everyone has to start somewhere. We all needed a wake up call at some point. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you!!
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options

When I was registering for my wedding at Target, the clerk asked if I was registering for a baby shower. :blushing: So embarrassing....
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My Dad was hospitalized with high blood pressure about a week before my birthday this year because he was bleeding out of his nose. I went to my parents house on my birthday and my dad had since bought an Omron blood pressure cuff and they (my parents) wanted me to take my BP. I took it and it was 210/105. I started freaking out and got an appointment with a doctor. I got my BP under control now and check it daily and am about 110/65. I was 5'6'' about 245 and I am currently 204.
  • SMCNEIL40
    Options
    My Dad was hospitalized with high blood pressure about a week before my birthday this year because he was bleeding out of his nose. I went to my parents house on my birthday and my dad had since bought an Omron blood pressure cuff and they (my parents) wanted me to take my BP. I took it and it was 210/105. I started freaking out and got an appointment with a doctor. I got my BP under control now and check it daily and am about 110/65. I was 5'6'' about 245 and I am currently 204.

Keep up the good work!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

:( Don't ask! I am hoping to see some good results on Friday's weigh in. I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning and was really disappointed! *Sigh* lol
  • SMCNEIL40
    Options

I have an official weigh-in until June 27, I am not sure what I have lost, but I can tell the difference in my clothing and even the way my face looks. Good Luck!

:( Don't ask! I am hoping to see some good results on Friday's weigh in. I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning and was really disappointed! *Sigh* lol
  • Laurieander
    Options
    I've been waking up for a while now, but you know how we do with natural sleep... we keep hitting the snooze button. Next thing you know, too much time has passed and we're running around rushing to get out the door! Well, my wake up calls have come in the form of trying to shop for clothes and being saddened, frustrated, depressed and downright angry at how I looked, how the clothes fit, or didn't fit, and just my "outta shape" self in general, and now being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes! I've watched Biggest Loser and gained some motivation at their incredible weight loss, but I realize that's all they work on for however many weeks they're on the show. Lately, I've seen this show called Extreme Makeover-Weight Loss Edition and it has sparked some more motivation. But again, they can work out all day long. So, I said all that to say that with all these factors combined and now having joined My Fitness Pal, I'm awake! I'm awake! I've been striving to eat healthier, with portion control, and regular exercise! I'm still a work in progress but I'm on my way. I'm definitely on my way! For all you out there that need to lose 100+ pounds, YOU CAN DO IT, TOO!!