Eat your caloric goal? Or less? Is less bad?

Options
So I see posts that say you should eat your recommend calories for the day.
I'm trying to stay, under, with some success.

If your caloric consumption is say 25% less than the MFP goal, how bad is it? Really?

And do you know? or are you just guessing.....:)

FYI - I'm at 213# with a 1.5# loss per week target

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. Part of it depends on how much of a deficit MFP is creating for you. If it is modest (say .5 lb per week), then going under is probably no big deal. If it is large already (over 1.5 lbs per week) then perhaps it isn't a great idea.

No I don't know for sure.
  • texakin20
    texakin20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am confused as well. When I am the in the green (under), MFP warns me I should be eating more, or at least my minimum. When I eat right at my daily goal.. the average it gives me.. for my weight in 5 weeks is NOT what I am trying to get. That will take awhile! So, I guess if I want VERY slow results, then I stay on goal. If I want to movee the bar, I go under. That is how I am looking at it.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion but if you continually go too low your body just simply isnt getting enough fuel and you wont see the physical results you want i.e. toned strong body. When you dont eat enough your body starts to burn muscle for fuel so I always think that if I eat on goal then im feeding my body what it needs to keep the good shape and definition i want but lose fat through the deficit which is created. obviously for gaining muscle you need to eat more than your weight loss goal.

however this being said i dont think there is any harm in doing so occasionally. There is a thought that cycling calories actually helps your metabolism to stay stoked and keep it guessing rather than eating the same amount every day.

At the end of the day your going to be told lots of different things but I think you just have to try a few out and see what works for you :) if its working, you feel great and your getting the results you want then stick with it! everyone is different :)