Beware of.....FIBRE!!!

2»

Replies

• Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    I have gotten used to it now. For 2 years I have upped my amount for fruit and veg plus beans, pulses and grains. I am loud and proud since my new body looks better, who cares if a trump when I walk lol
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Your body will adjust. So many health benefits to eating fiber. As long as you are eating the right kind of fiber (fruits, vegetables) your body will get used to it. It is recommended to get 25gms a day of fiber.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    lol, it's deff.normal.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    At the beginning I had the same, but now its completely ok!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Some of my farts from Fiber one bars are in the Guiness Book of Records.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    My fiber farts have certainly decreased though I will say anything high in sugar alcohols (common in some of the "low sugar high fiber" foods) will do quite a number to your wind-breaking. Watch for those :)
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    How were you eating less than 5g of fiber per day? That's like 1 apple.

oops....suppose to be 12-13g per day!! Sorry! :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    I am taking genreally about 30+ to even over 60 gms of fiber (In food only!!) per day. Just reading your post, I was thinking that it hasn't been a problem for me lately, so there must be something to the "getting used to it" factor. I did hear that you should up your intake slowly to avoid that problem - I never paid attention to that and just ate as much as I wanted. So some days were worse than others. But lately I'd say it wasn't a problem for me.

p.s. in my fat days I, too would not get much fiber in - too much trouble to bite into an apple, I suppose when cheese and bread were around! But it is an easy fix! Now I eat nothing unless it has fiber! Much happier,too!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Without even trying I've had more than double the necessary fibre today, and yes, lots of farts!
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Yes, but I think your body gets used to it after a while and doesn't "react" as much - at least that's what I "hear". ;) LOL
    this seems to be true- about 5 years ago I upped my fiber intake to between 25-30 and I had the same issue. After awhile my system seemed to get used to it and even when I deviate from the amount when I add more I seem to be ok.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Farting is a perfectly normal result of eating a healthy diet. Some foods will trigger it more than others, but there is no healthy diet that wlll guarantee that you'll stay fart-free.

Whether you get embarrassed by it or not, you'll still fart a certain amount, so you may as well get used to the idea now...
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    hahaha - gotta love some of these responses, lol!

You *will* get used to it. Gas is produced mostly because you were eating wrong & that's what your body is used to. (There's a reason they call beans the 'magical fruit...' )

Try & see if you can get some fiber in unprocessed foods, too. Personally, I try to make most of my diet whole foods, things that don't come out of a package - if possible, of course. Raspberries, strawberries, and broccoli are all high in fiber - I know, I know - I'm in the minority as I LOVE broccoli. Try it baked w/lemon juice. Delish! Fruits are a great way to get fiber, and a bit easier on the digestive system, I think.

Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic's list of high fiber foods: (URL was long so I made it Tiny)

http://tiny.cc/vy650

... and just give your body the chance to get used to the healthier way you're treating it!
  • OMG!! I call the fiber one cereal "Gas in a box"!! I only eat the fiber one bars at nite...before bed so only my husband has to suffer ;)
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Badly. I have to Becareful with fiber intake because I can't hold it. When I did Jenny Craig last year they would give us bars and I could not handle all the extra fiber. I would get bad stomach cramps and gas galore. Now I just try to eat the recommended amount.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    i think it depends on the source of fiber. if you're eating stuff like fiber one bars that might be the culprit. i've found that when i was eating those fiber bars the gas was UNbearable!!! But other, less artificial, sources of fiber were better. I no longer eat fiber one bars because of the excessive gas it causes.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Yes it does. It will get better...if it's really bad, try cutting back on the fiber and bit and increase a bit more slowly...
This discussion has been closed.