Help with left over BBQ

Options
So, my husband felt like smoking enough pulled pork for an army last night and, needless to say, there is a TON left over. We already had sandwiches last night and for lunch today. I need help with what else to cook it with, that is still healthy. I know pork (when cooked with all its fat) isn't the healthiest. Because it was smoked for about 10 hours, it was not a lean piece. I'm looking for dinner and lunch ideas.

I was thinking of stuff banana peppers with the shredded pork and roasting those???? Don't know.

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    When my fiance does that I make him take it to work hahaha! I can't resist!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Pork green chili burritos. You can freeze some for another time too.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I freeze meat in smaller portions in freezer bags. That way you don't need to eat it all at once, and you'll enjoy it for a longer length of time.

and I don't agree about pork being unhealthy. I don't think there is a problem with a portion controlled amount of saturated fat. I love cheap cuts of meat, like pork shoulder and beef chuck.

Enjoy!!!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Any type of Sitr Fry or Fajitas, burritos, tacos, quesedillas. Maybe pulled pork sandwich wraps or sandwich thins. Make a pork pizza....

Remove any excess fat which after smoking should mostly be gone and it should be fine.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Make a brunswick stew, or pork chili, and freeze it.

Brunswick stew - http://www.food.com/recipe/brunswick-stew-202784

you don't have to used the canned meat mentioned in the recipe, fresh grilled/smoked works just as well.

Best part is that this can be made in a crock pot or on the stovetop!
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest freezing some, too ;)
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... I love smoking pork! I usually freeze some leftovers. I put enough for 2 sandwiches each in a few vacuum sealer bags.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    how about using it kinda like a taco salad (minus any chips you might use with your taco salad, that is).
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Tacos, tostadas, quesadillas, burritos, salads, stuffed bell peppers...there's lots of stuff you can make with leftover pork. :)
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

No, pork is not unhealthy, if you trim it. LoL, it took me forever to convince my husband that and he still doesn't believe me and yup, also about the portion control

When I mentioned freezing to him, he got a sad face:sad: , like it would ruin his precious smoked pork.....so I'll do it when he's in the shower or something. LOL! :laugh:

I think I'll go with the tostadas. Some lettuce, tomato, lowfat sour cream, pork, jalapenos, corn tortilla....sounds delish! Thanks everyone again!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree on freezing and reusing for later.

What about using it in a salad?

Or adding some salsa & seasonings to it and throwing it in the oven for a bit....and making into 'carnitas"?

Or putting it in pita pockets?
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    BBQ pork pizza! Pita or whole grain tortilla topped with a little bbq sauce, pulled pork, low fat cheese, jalepenos, and red onion. MMMMM!
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options

When I mentioned freezing to him, he got a sad face:sad: , like it would ruin his precious smoked pork.....so I'll do it when he's in the shower or something. LOL! :laugh:

It freezes really well if you put it in vacuum bags. Then warm it up in hot water & it's just like fresh.