Completely Frustrated...

Options
I knew I was celebrating my move from the 160s prematurely. Tuesday and Wednesday I weighed in at 159, so I figured I could at least maintain it, if not lose more...Well, nope. Not me. Of course I gain weight! This morning I weighed in at 161.8. I can't even keep it at 160 or a low 161. I have to push it up to basically 162 pounds. I've been eating within my calories, 2 days this week I may have gone over by 100 at the most...Just little bites of food here and there. But even if I went over by 100 every day, that's not enough to add 2 pounds!!

I just feel like I'm never going to lose this weight. I wanted to weigh 155 by next Friday because it's my birthday and that seemed like a reasonable goal. Tuesday morning I knew I was going to reach it, and yesterday morning I was still optimistic-But now...6 pounds in 8 days? Yeah right. I can't even lose 1 pound in 7 days.

I'm so mad/frustrated/sad/discouraged...And all I'm doing is beating myself up. *Sigh* I just need to go read my upbeat, positive blog. Good thing I wrote that-I knew I would need it to pick myself up in the future...I just didn't know it was going to be 3 days later.

I walked 4 miles this morning, and I'm going to a spin class tonight...And of course I'm logging all of my calories today, so maybe it will get better. I just need to keep going, and it has to get better-Right?

Replies

• NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I knew I was celebrating my move from the 160s prematurely. Tuesday and Wednesday I weighed in at 159, so I figured I could at least maintain it, if not lose more...Well, nope. Not me. Of course I gain weight! This morning I weighed in at 161.8. I can't even keep it at 160 or a low 161. I have to push it up to basically 162 pounds. I've been eating within my calories, 2 days this week I may have gone over by 100 at the most...Just little bites of food here and there. But even if I went over by 100 every day, that's not enough to add 2 pounds!!

I just feel like I'm never going to lose this weight. I wanted to weigh 155 by next Friday because it's my birthday and that seemed like a reasonable goal. Tuesday morning I knew I was going to reach it, and yesterday morning I was still optimistic-But now...6 pounds in 8 days? Yeah right. I can't even lose 1 pound in 7 days.

I'm so mad/frustrated/sad/discouraged...And all I'm doing is beating myself up. *Sigh* I just need to go read my upbeat, positive blog. Good thing I wrote that-I knew I would need it to pick myself up in the future...I just didn't know it was going to be 3 days later.

I walked 4 miles this morning, and I'm going to a spin class tonight...And of course I'm logging all of my calories today, so maybe it will get better. I just need to keep going, and it has to get better-Right?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    First, it's almost certainly fluid retention. So, don't worry about it. Women's weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds on any given day.

Second, how many calories are you eating? Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • NewMK08
    Options
    First, it's almost certainly fluid retention. So, don't worry about it. Women's weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds on any given day.

Second, how many calories are you eating? Are you eating your exercise calories?

I'm eating 1200 calories-I set my goals at 2 pounds/week, so that's what MFP gave me. And yes, I eat my exercise calories every day...I love exercise calories! :love:
    Maybe once or twice a week I might be 100 under, but I certaintly make up for those days I'm under on the rare days when I go 100 over my calories.

Do you think 1200 is too low even though I'm eating all of my exercise calories??
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options

I second the fluid retention suggestion! I can fluctuate up to five lbs in one day depending on what i ate the day before! Even if it was all heathy, my body just holds alot of water. Thats why I try and drink alot of it throughout the day!

Don't bet yourself up about it....your doing great!
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could T R Y and only weigh once a week which would give you a better chance of success. Are you measuring everything? My eye was much larger that actual amount :noway:
    You can and will do it :flowerforyou:
  • NewMK08
    Options

I second the fluid retention suggestion! I can fluctuate up to five lbs in one day depending on what i ate the day before! Even if it was all heathy, my body just holds alot of water. Thats why I try and drink alot of it throughout the day!

Thanks for the props :blushing:
    I think I'm going to up my water intake-I'm not sure if I drank enough yesterday?? I forgot to track it and now I'm not sure, but I probably didn't get enough. Who knows. Certainly not me! But I'm just going to carry a bottle around with me at all times-In fact I'm almost done with my first 16.9 oz...9 more bottles to go!

Bring on the bathroom breaks!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think the 1200 calories set by mfp is a standard that you have to adjust according to your weight, your BMR is appx. 1500 calories per day that you need just to live. Maybe your calories are too low and your body is trying desparately to hang on to whatever it can. It is slow and sometimes mentally painful, to watch yourself lose slowly, but it will all be worth it in the end. Don't lose faith, even if you don't think it is coming off fast enough for you, it is coming off nonetheless :)
  • NewMK08
    Options
    Maybe you could T R Y and only weigh once a week which would give you a better chance of success. Are you measuring everything? My eye was much larger that actual amount :noway:
    You can and will do it :flowerforyou:

I know I should only weigh once a week...It's hard for me though, because I feel like I'm able to keep better control of what I'm eating if I know I have to weigh the very next day. I can try not to weigh until Monday...But I'm not promising anything!! :laugh:

As for measuring everything, I've been looking into buying a scale, but haven't yet. So no, I haven't been measuring anything :embarassed:
    But most of what I eat has the calories already on it...And I when I'm guessing on the calories I try to go over. Example-I'm eating a small to medium apple but I log a large one just to be sure.

Are scales expensive?? What's the best brand to get at Walmart?
  • shorerider
    Options
    I'm eating 1200 calories-I set my goals at 2 pounds/week, so that's what MFP gave me. And yes, I eat my exercise calories every day...I love exercise calories! :love:
    Maybe once or twice a week I might be 100 under, but I certaintly make up for those days I'm under on the rare days when I go 100 over my calories.

Do you think 1200 is too low even though I'm eating all of my exercise calories??

YES!

Given your age and small amount to lose, you should be eating more. MFP "gave" you 2 pounds because that's what you selected but in your situation, you really should be looking at a MAX of 1/2 pound a week loss.

Yes, it will take time. Yes, it's slow. BUT it's the HEALTHY WAY to do it and to keep it off.

Please read the posts linked below--they'll help you understand. Particular the first 2 posts.
    )_____________________________________________________________________________

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/9614-newbies-please-read-me

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • NewMK08
    Options
    Given your age and small amount to lose, you should be eating more. MFP "gave" you 2 pounds because that's what you selected but in your situation, you really should be looking at a MAX of 1/2 pound a week loss.

Yes, it will take time. Yes, it's slow. BUT it's the HEALTHY WAY to do it and to keep it off.

Okay...So I changed my goals to 1 pound a week which changed my daily calorie intake from 1200 to 1410-That is scary! But, trying it for a week won't hurt. Obviously 1200/day isn't doing too much! But now, even with all of my food for the day entered, I still have over 500 calories left because of my exercise calories! What if I don't get all of those in? That's bad...

Oh! And thank you for the links...Banks is so informative! Where did he go?
  • shorerider
    Options
    You got to get in your calories or your body will not last long--I like the analogy of a car. You gotta put gas in it to go, right? If you don't give your body enough "fuel," it's going to shut down on you. Weight loss will stop, health problems begin, etc.

Try something like PB or nuts--lots of calories and good for you, too! Or add a little olive oil to your cooking--Olive oil is great for you! All of these contain "good" vital essential fats your body needs.
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have about the same amount to loose as you and when I started MFP I was doing the exact same things you are and it wasn't working for me either. I checked out the posts shorerider left me [same ones she left you cause she's awesome like that :wink: ] and I increased my goal to 1 lb per week. Guess what my calories went up to about 1500 instead of about 1200. And some how I manage to eat them all. I started watching my sodium intake more closely because sodium can be related to water retention. Then the last thing I did was get my boyfriend to hide the scale. I knew I was becoming obsessed with weighing myself and it had to stop. I was weighing twice a day sometimes more! After the first week I hopped on the scale when my boyfriend brought it out from hiding and I lost 2 lbs. After a month of 1200 calories and weighing all the time I had only lost 3 lbs then in the first week of doing it the healthy way for my body I dropped 2 lbs. Listen to your body too! Its very important. If you're feeling very tired and run down you're probably not eating enough! Hope my experience will be helpful! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options

Thanks for the props :blushing:
    I think I'm going to up my water intake-I'm not sure if I drank enough yesterday?? I forgot to track it and now I'm not sure, but I probably didn't get enough. Who knows. Certainly not me! But I'm just going to carry a bottle around with me at all times-In fact I'm almost done with my first 16.9 oz...9 more bottles to go!

Bring on the bathroom breaks!

LOL,I too carry a water bottle around with me:happy: its like my 'sidekick':tongue: Good luck to you!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I switched to weighing in once a month. I recommend that!
  • NewMK08
    Options
    Thank you all for the help and great information! Since I'm so new to this "eat to lose" way of thinking, I know I'm going to have to play around with different foods and different calorie amounts to find out what works for me and my body!

And I guess I can't really complain about eating more calories...Although it is kind of scary :frown:

I'll give this new plan a whirl and see how it goes!

Oh, and the scale is going too. I'm only bringing it out once a week...That's almost scarier than more calories. Eep!